Barn sticker shock. WOW!

/ Barn sticker shock. WOW! #131  
What is name of that place? A shed like that is all I want. Mine will be in the country, don’t have to impress an HOA, cause there ain’t one.

I can put under 256 sf without permit.

/ Barn sticker shock. WOW! #132  
Rock Crawler - do they ship these broken down and install on site? Would seem that 12' wide would need special transport (wide load)?

Then roughly what are the shipping/install costs?

/ Barn sticker shock. WOW! #133  
Just realized it’s in West PA , way too far. But I like them.

/ Barn sticker shock. WOW! #134  
Just realized it’s in West PA , way too far. But I like them.

Also just realized I went to a basketball camp there one summer, at Westminster college.

/ Barn sticker shock. WOW! #135  
I know you guys are talking about larger buildings, but I have 7 bay garages that are packed solid and want to get a building for 2 lawn tractors, 3 push mowers, a Kawasaki Mule and some other stuff that is eating 2 bays, I found an Amish place that will build and deliver a 12'x30' "lean to' style building with 8' high rear wall and 12' high front wall, one set of swinging doors centered in the 12' high by 30' long front wall, one smaller set of swinging doors on one end of the building on the 12' long wall, steel roof with "double bubble" insulation under it, full plywood flooring over pressure treated 4x4 base for $5400 delivered. I just put cash down to get my order scheduled, they are looking at around Jan-Feb for delivery. This is in western Pa, the building is coming out of the New Wilmington Pa area.

Video I made while looking at the building on the ground.
The place is Byler's Sawmill (Benjamin Byler) located in New Wilmington Pa:
Byler's

Typical Amish, no phones or way to contact other than drive there and pull into the farm property.

Delivery price is $250 for the first 20 miles and $3 per mile after that. I am 46 miles away, so 26 miles X $3 is an extra $78.

So far as I understand it, this will be fully built at 12' wide and pulled onto a flatbed built for moving them, I assume he has to have permits and maybe a lead vehicle? My understanding is that he will place it right where I have prepped the ground for it.

I am going to dig it down a bit and then lay a bed of #3 limestone over a sheet of agricultural fabric, then set the shed onto the limestone so that any rainwater stays down from the shed beams and yet is not up high and requiring a ramp.

I do not plan to run power to it, but I will use solar LED motion sensing lights that I am using now in a 8'x10' shed that lights up plenty well for infrequent use. I will likely place them at 0, 10', 20' and 30' so that once you are inside and moving, the motion sensors will light up the length.

These are the lights I will use, since I already have 2 and love the ease of installation and the amount of light I get from them.
Solar Shed Light Indoor/Outdoor Work in Daylight, Aqonsie 160LED 1200LM Solar Pendant Light, 5-Leaf 120° Adjustable Solar Motion Sensor Light with Remote & 6 Lighting Modes for Shed Gazebo Barn Garage

The attached invoice shows that the base shed price is $4573 for the 12'x30' lean-to style shed.
Up-charge of $50 for the high doors on the 12' high long side wall.
No upcharge for a standard height door on the end wall.
Up-charge of $100 for the "double bubble" insulation under the metal roof.
Cash deposit of $500 placed to schedule order.
Order placed 9/30/22 and not shown is that his verbal commitment for delivery is to expect Jan/Feb delivery.

Attachments

• Bylers Shed Invoice.jpeg
    Bylers Shed Invoice.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 89
   / Barn sticker shock. WOW! #136  
There have been a lot of posts in this thread since April and I dont know what the OP has gone on to do...

Im planning something similar for spring 2024 in TN and just trying to get my facts together now. Having said that we have Menards here and in their "design and build" section you can configure yourself a custom pole barn and they will spit out a quote at the end of it. I went through that yesterday for a 40' wide x 64' long pole building. My idea is to get the building shell put up by a general contractor and then do all the work on the inside myself. They would use Michigan snow loads in their calculation, which should be more than adequate for TN.

So if I was to buy it now I could lock in a price less than $30k excluding transportation fees. The only door that is included is a 48"x 80" man door and a framed 12'x12' opening for the main door that I will probably end up building myself.

From what I can gather, assuming I do all the site prep myself, the cost for a general contractor to put it up should be $15k. Im going to be putting PEX in the concrete for heating and foundations for car lifts and the like so I will handle everything concrete related up to the pour myself too. On one end of the building there will be some living space since it may be a few years before the main house gets built. So all of that plumbing and drains etc will also have to be done prior to the pour. I did contact Hansens who also build pole barns and their materials package was $95k so I cant understand how they charge 3x the price for materials alone.

Anyway this is probably going to be the way I will go on this job, with a few changes, like sheathing the exterior in 5/8" plywood and the roof the same and then putting the metal down on top of that. It will be a much stronger building sealed up a lot tighter and make it much harder for the steel to get damaged when its backed up with the ply. I should have no issues whatsoever walking on the roof if it is ever needed. I see that 5/8" CDX is down to $24/sheet now, a lot better than the past few years...

Thats it for my plan...

Building Price: $33,151.40 11% Mail-In Rebate: $3,646.65

Final Price:

$29,504.75

Building Information

Width: 40 ft
Post Spacing: 8 ft
Length: 64 ft
Truss Spacing: 4 ft
Floor Finish: Dirt / Gravel
Inside Clear Height: 14 ft
Exterior Wall Panel: Pro-Rib
Exterior Wall Color: Ash Gray
Roof Type: Premium Pro-Rib
Roof Color: Burnished Slate
Trim Color: Burnished Slate
Sidewall Posts: Columns
Gradeboard Type: 2x6 Treated Gradeboard
Endwall Overhangs: 1 ft
Sidewall Overhangs: 1 ft
Soffit Color: Burnished Slate
Fascia Size: 6 in Fascia
Post Embedment Depth: 4 ft
Footing Pad Size: 14 in x 4 in
Mini Print: Email Only
Wall Fastener Location: In the Flat
Roof Fastener Location: On the Rib
Building Use: Rural

Accessories

Sidewall A Eave Light: 3 ft
Sidewall B eave light: 3 ft
Wall Insulation Type: None
Wall Liner Type: None
Ceiling Insulation Type: None
Ceiling Liner Type: None
Ridge Vent Quantity: None
Gable Vent Type: None
Ridge Options: Universal Ridge Cap
Gutters: No
End Cap: No
Skylight Size: None
Cupola Size: None
Roof Condensation Control: None
Outside Closure Strip: Standard
Wall Condensation Control: None

Doors & Windows

WallNameSize
1-COverhead Opening12' x 12'
1-CService Door48"x80"

/ Barn sticker shock. WOW! #138  
There have been a lot of posts in this thread since April and I dont know what the OP has gone on to do...

Im planning something similar for spring 2024 in TN and just trying to get my facts together now. Having said that we have Menards here and in their "design and build" section you can configure yourself a custom pole barn and they will spit out a quote at the end of it. I went through that yesterday for a 40' wide x 64' long pole building. My idea is to get the building shell put up by a general contractor and then do all the work on the inside myself. They would use Michigan snow loads in their calculation, which should be more than adequate for TN.

So if I was to buy it now I could lock in a price less than $30k excluding transportation fees. The only door that is included is a 48"x 80" man door and a framed 12'x12' opening for the main door that I will probably end up building myself.

From what I can gather, assuming I do all the site prep myself, the cost for a general contractor to put it up should be $15k. Im going to be putting PEX in the concrete for heating and foundations for car lifts and the like so I will handle everything concrete related up to the pour myself too. On one end of the building there will be some living space since it may be a few years before the main house gets built. So all of that plumbing and drains etc will also have to be done prior to the pour. I did contact Hansens who also build pole barns and their materials package was $95k so I cant understand how they charge 3x the price for materials alone.

Anyway this is probably going to be the way I will go on this job, with a few changes, like sheathing the exterior in 5/8" plywood and the roof the same and then putting the metal down on top of that. It will be a much stronger building sealed up a lot tighter and make it much harder for the steel to get damaged when its backed up with the ply. I should have no issues whatsoever walking on the roof if it is ever needed. I see that 5/8" CDX is down to $24/sheet now, a lot better than the past few years...

Thats it for my plan...

Building Price: $33,151.40 11% Mail-In Rebate: $3,646.65

Final Price:

$29,504.75

Building Information

Width: 40 ft
Post Spacing: 8 ft
Length: 64 ft
Truss Spacing: 4 ft
Floor Finish: Dirt / Gravel
Inside Clear Height: 14 ft
Exterior Wall Panel: Pro-Rib
Exterior Wall Color: Ash Gray
Roof Type: Premium Pro-Rib
Roof Color: Burnished Slate
Trim Color: Burnished Slate
Sidewall Posts: Columns
Gradeboard Type: 2x6 Treated Gradeboard
Endwall Overhangs: 1 ft
Sidewall Overhangs: 1 ft
Soffit Color: Burnished Slate
Fascia Size: 6 in Fascia
Post Embedment Depth: 4 ft
Footing Pad Size: 14 in x 4 in
Mini Print: Email Only
Wall Fastener Location: In the Flat
Roof Fastener Location: On the Rib
Building Use: Rural

Accessories

Sidewall A Eave Light: 3 ft
Sidewall B eave light: 3 ft
Wall Insulation Type: None
Wall Liner Type: None
Ceiling Insulation Type: None
Ceiling Liner Type: None
Ridge Vent Quantity: None
Gable Vent Type: None
Ridge Options: Universal Ridge Cap
Gutters: No
End Cap: No
Skylight Size: None
Cupola Size: None
Roof Condensation Control: None
Outside Closure Strip: Standard
Wall Condensation Control: None

Doors & Windows

WallNameSize
1-COverhead Opening12' x 12'
1-CService Door48"x80"
Since you are pouring concrete and you want the sheath the roof and walls in plywood, you might want to consider stick framing the building instead of doing a pole barn and then modifying the design to be like a stick frame building. In my opinion, you are creating waste doing it your way.

/ Barn sticker shock. WOW! #139  
Since you are pouring concrete and you want the sheath the roof and walls in plywood, you might want to consider stick framing the building instead of doing a pole barn and then modifying the design to be like a stick frame building. In my opinion, you are creating waste doing it your way.
Eddie you are most likely correct. Going stick built would change the priority to the slab and anything associated with it getting done first and then walls can be framed up on it and then raised up. Steel and sheating up to 12ft and then polycarbonate daylight panels another 2 ft to 14ft ceiling height on the long sides. Roof system would be close to identical.