Barn project is progressing now

/ Barn project is progressing now #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
This week we got to put in quite a few new beams using a Lull as a lift. The first floor is done except for the flooring that I am waiting for. Tomorrow the outside beams will be put in place. I can't wait till this project is finished so I can keep my Cub in there. All the new (33 of them) floor joists were made from ash off our property and slabbed with a chain saw and planed by me. The 12 new roof rafters will also be chain sawed and planed by me. I have 6 done and 6 more to go. I only wish they were shorter in length. More picture to follow as we progress with this project.

Attachments

• 512990-Barn9.jpg
    512990-Barn9.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,435
   / Barn project is progressing now
A view from the 3rd floor.

Attachments

• 512994-Barn2.jpg
    512994-Barn2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 845
Front door shot.

Attachments

• 512999-Barn1.jpg
    512999-Barn1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 749
   / Barn project is progressing now #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( More picture to follow as we progress with this project. )</font>

Thanks you so much for posting these photos and the future ones.

This is a major project and an important one. It's good to see this barn refurbished instead of the alternative. Looks like quite a job. Have you posted pictures of how you are cutting and plaining the timbers in another thread?

Cliff

/ Barn project is progressing now #5  
Fantastic project Jim, I'm awestruck. I love old barns and it's good to see one getting some attention. As Cliff mentioned, please keep the pictures coming. It's truly wonderful /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The timbers (8"x8"'s) are from a saw mill. Some are hemlock and some are oak. I would prefer Chestnut as that is what the originals were. The floor joists are cut by me using my Husky chain saw using a ripping chain. I snap a line on the flattest side and free hand cut the log. I have a 3.5" electric Craftsman plane that I use for finishing it off to be flat.
Here is another shot of a mortise and tenon joint. The square ends of the floor joists in the picture were also cut freehand by me using my chainsaw.

Attachments

• 513028-Barn8.jpg
    513028-Barn8.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 731
Thanks Rob, I'll keep posting picture as we progress with this project. The barn is 1830-1840's vintage and the house is 1735-1750 vintage. I am also restoring the house to be livable again with modern wiring and such.

/ Barn project is progressing now #8  
Wow!

Most impressive. Thanks for sharing. You have a lot of history your saving. Obviously a lot of work too.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Barn project is progressing now #9  
It's so awesome that you are milling your own wood from trees on your lot. It looks great. How long does it take to let the wood dry out/cure?

Mike, I cut all the floor joists last fall and stacked them up for this years project. Many of them twisted slightly or stressed cracked causing a slight bow in the flat area and needed to be re-planed. All in all it was worth taking the time to cut, saw and plane these myself. Especially seeing how the trees were free. The ridge beams are 23 foot long pine and had to be bought locally. Here is what I started out with last year.

Attachments

• 513180-Barn1.jpg
    513180-Barn1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 687