band saw what to look for

/ band saw what to look for #11  
Renze said:
So i think i need asurdy pivot saw with cooling. variable blade speed is only useful when sawing stainless or hardened steels, for normal steels 2 speeds is enough. At least, that's what the salesman said when i was negotiating for a new (professional) band saw for my former employer.
There are many affordable "good" quality pivot type saws.
As far as what the salesman told you, I disagree. Speeds and feeds are are the backbone of good metal removing (machining) principles. If you have the luxury to pick the materials you will be sawing, you will be golden. I find I cut many different materials, not just steel on my saw. I try to match up blade speed with tooth variations to get the best possible cut ... fastest, straightest and safest.

Many of those saws are belt driven and offer pulley configuration to vary blade speed so you should be OK. I find some are usually too fast even in slowest speed. However, a good blade with variable teeth helps to match the material you are cutting. You should have the ability to match the speed for it too. Proper blade speed helps tremendously with wear on the blade. Improper blade speed (usually too fast and wrong toothset for material) is the #1 cause for blade wear in my book.
Just my 2¢ though.

/ band saw what to look for #12  
I agree with 3RRL100%. The ability to match speed and material is paramount. It sounds to me like the salesman had a machine he was selling that may not have been the best for the job, or the shop used one or two materials that could be mached by the saw.

Get one that you can change the speed on and you will be happier. Laguna from italy makes a nice saw as well.

/ band saw what to look for #13  
bamatoolmaker said:
nice saw, what ya got hid behind it?

(shameless stolen pic from google images to go along with my post) ie i wish i had one... but not at the moment. we have one a work and had one in the ME shop at school...

/ band saw what to look for #14  
I thought that picture of the Doall in the shop looked too clean to be a normal person's actual workshop!
To have that much room, and no chips to show for it has to be a terrible thing with those nice machines.
David from jax

/ band saw what to look for
Ni, i'm not looking at a vertival band saw, just a good cut-off saw with good angle adjustment. (that would be an important thing to look at: on some saws you have to adjust both clamp ends to saw angles, and put the length of pipe under an angle on the machine, where others have better clamps and swing the saw itself on an angle vs. its clamp table)

The plasma cutter, for the odd job requiring free hand cutting, i can use the one at work.

/ band saw what to look for #17  
Renze,
My Dutch is pretty crummy after 50 years, but from the specs it is OK as a hobby saw. On the light duty side though IMO. Another thing I noticed is the saw blade is small, only a ½ inch blade and you should try to get a saw with a little larger blade. You'll have better results.
Applying cutting oil is OK, except you'll need to keep adding it throughout the cut until finished or risk wearing your blade out prematurely. I would use the coolant.

/ band saw what to look for #18  
Renze, that 115 is what we call the 4 X 6 cheapie from Harbor Freight or Enco. Looks like a bit better fit and finish, but the same basic saw.

250 Euro seems really steep too me, they only cost about $150 or so here depending on sale's etc. I think that is a little less then 100 Euro today?

Anyway, I have one, I built a better stand for it, would love to have a better quality one, as 3RRL said one of the bigger bladed ones, but to be honest, for what I do in my shop, it is plenty. There are several threads here about that saw and I think someone mentioned a discussion group just about them.

If you were my BIL I would say go for it (actually I would mail him one) While it will not compare to the commercial ones, it will do a substantial amount of work, quietly and efficiently.

They go on sale cheaper then this regularly.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

3RRL said:
Renze,
My Dutch is pretty crummy after 50 years.....

Hey 3RRL, did you find your Dutch is getting crummy, when reading the first or the second ad ? The first ad (BS 115) was mostly text copied (apparently) from the German leaflet, so dont worry :D

Yes i was kinda expecting a price difference, but i was expecting to get a decent 1 or 1,5 inch band saw with hydraulic drop speed regulation for 500 Euro... The hobby market is way bigger on your side of the pond, hence the cheaper saws. I just saw that one saw advertised for 250 euro is now 240 euro so we'll wait and see if they drop any lower before i bid even lower... ;)

Is this narrow saw band even worth looking at when sawing solid steels and flatbar ? I have some serious winter projects in mind so i want to get some decent equipment, if the price is right.

The harbor freight saw looks pretty good value for money, but will they ship it to Europe ?

edit:
IF i could get this one for 400 Euro i would have bought it right away: Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

/ band saw what to look for #20  
Renze, my opinion only...the small blade width is not worth it. You will kick yourself in the butt for not spending a few bucks more.

That Harbor Freight one for the price looks GREAT. It is much like my shop saw (JET Saw) and found it reasonably good. You will be way better off with one of that weight, size, and blade.