band saw what to look for

/ band saw what to look for #1  

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
After considering a plasma cutter or a band saw (i dont want all the shop space, and finance to be occupied by 2 machines) i decided i need a band saw. The few jobs that need a plasma cutter, can be done at the company i work.

i dont think i need recommendations on particular makes or models, because they will most probably be different on my side of the world.
So, what's the recommended size, what features does a band saw really need for intense hobby/semi-pro use (i dont want to buy junk, rather roll some more Euros and get something that lasts)

I was thinking to buy something that can at least saw, say 150x150 mm square tubing. any advice please ?

/ band saw what to look for #2  
Oiler, hydraulic down, good blades, usually more amps is better, warranty ...
Without discussing brands, I can't think of anything else to add.

/ band saw what to look for #3  
The Ellis brand saws are air cooled. No oil or cutter coolant to make a mess. When I find a home for my carolina that is what I will shop for. I haven't found one owner willing to sell their used one. That is the mark of a good product.

/ band saw what to look for #4  
mmmmmmmm doooooallllllll

doallbandsaw.jpg

/ band saw what to look for #5  
Renze, have you looked at "cold saws" They were much more common in Germany then they are here.

My advice would be to go with a name brand saw that there were plenty of consumables for on the local shops shelves (blades etc)

I would pay a premium for a great saw, as it will likely last your lifetime.

/ band saw what to look for #6  
Renze,
One thing I would look for is at least a 3/4" blade width (20mm approx). This helps with rigidity, tooth choice, blade longevity and straighter cuts. Other considerations are throat clearance, table and clamp type. Make sure it is versatile in set-up configurations because you not always saw just straight bar stock.:)
Coolant, variable blade speed and feed too on horizontal models for sure.
Most hobby (affordable) models are "pivot" type but if you can find a gantry type, where the entire saw and motor goes straight up and down. you will have much more room and set-up capability. Maybe look for used in that respect?
A quality saw is the most overlooked but very versatile and useful piece of equipment in a shop.

/ band saw what to look for
3RRL, off course i will be looking at the "affordable" ones, i WANT a pro machine, but cannot justify that for the amount of use it will see. I dont want to get a piece of hobby junk because it is my hobby using its output, instead of repairing one.
So i think i need asurdy pivot saw with cooling. variable blade speed is only useful when sawing stainless or hardened steels, for normal steels 2 speeds is enough. At least, that's what the salesman said when i was negotiating for a new (professional) band saw for my former employer.

/ band saw what to look for #8  
Renze said:
variable blade speed is only useful when sawing stainless or hardened steels, for normal steels 2 speeds is enough.

well.... i suppose but the reasoning is still sound. diffrent materials cut better at diffrent speeds and blades. ie AL, brass, cast iron, steel etc

note your need sounded like one for a vertical bandsaw more than a horzontal based on its comparison to a plasma cutter. (ie which one to get if only buying 1)

/ band saw what to look for #10  
As far as vertical bandsaws go, I have been seriously in short supply. I have a couple of horizontals, and one has a table for changing it over to a vertical, but that is a joke. I came across this one in Arkansas, and since I try to go see my Dad there as often as possible, it made sense to buy it.Not your normal vertical saw, since the table is a roll-in (which isn't working correctly). Varible speed, single phase power. There isn't much to the roll-in table that can be wrong, but you never know! It works fine as a standard saw, so even if I don't get the roll-in working, it won't be a total loss.
I am due to go pick it up the week after Thanksgiving. Wish me luck!

Bandsaw2.jpg

Bandsaw1.jpg