Baling Hay With a Farmall 350 Gas

/ Baling Hay With a Farmall 350 Gas #1  

elr0119

Hello all,

I have a 57 Farmall 350 that has been in my family for generations. Over the years, I have rebuilt it and it is in great shape. I use it regularly to plant 15 acres of corn and manage some minor work around the farm. It is a narrow front. Recently, I decided that I would like to have some cows and would like to bale a pasture that is 7-10 acres (depending how it is baled). The pasture consists of portion of flat land with most of the pasture on a 15 degree or slightly greater slope. Since I'm cheap, I wanted to use my Farmall to bale the hillside. Therein lies the problem...

I am being told that if I use the tractor to bale that I will likely flip and die. True or false? What factors play into this? What is meant by high center of gravity versus say a John Deere 3020?

Also, I'm being told that no square baler will work with that tractor. However, I see people using these tractors to bale on YouTube. What (old) NH baler models should I be looking for to run with this tractor?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

/ Baling Hay With a Farmall 350 Gas #2  
Hello all,

I have a 57 Farmall 350 that has been in my family for generations. Over the years, I have rebuilt it and it is in great shape. I use it regularly to plant 15 acres of corn and manage some minor work around the farm. It is a narrow front. Recently, I decided that I would like to have some cows and would like to bale a pasture that is 7-10 acres (depending how it is baled). The pasture consists of portion of flat land with most of the pasture on a 15 degree or slightly greater slope. Since I'm cheap, I wanted to use my Farmall to bale the hillside. Therein lies the problem...

I am being told that if I use the tractor to bale that I will likely flip and die. True or false? What factors play into this? What is meant by high center of gravity versus say a John Deere 3020?

Also, I'm being told that no square baler will work with that tractor. However, I see people using these tractors to bale on YouTube. What (old) NH baler models should I be looking for to run with this tractor?

I have baled many a bales with a Super M and a 350 should be just as able.

I would much rather use a 3020 though.:)

/ Baling Hay With a Farmall 350 Gas #3  
A 350 will be fine for what your doing. Ive used a Farmall H (less HP but same setup) for hay on hills and it does just fine. I use a 268 usually but on bad days i use a 68 i can also pull these just fine with my Ford 8N too.

/ Baling Hay With a Farmall 350 Gas
Thanks to all for the feedback!

/ Baling Hay With a Farmall 350 Gas #5  
I realize a lot of time has passed since you first posted but I want to say for years all we had to bale with was narrow fron end tractors. We did it with a 1939 farmall H, a 50's something farmall 350 Diesel and a farmall C. Again all had narrow front ends and we all survived. Everyone seems to talk "death" about "narrow frontends," My dad put me on one at 6 months of age and operating by my self at 5 years old. If they were not safe he wouldn't have kept them.
Be aware of your surroundings and pay close attention to what your doing and you'll be fine. Personally I miss not having a narrow front end tractor for working in the woods.

/ Baling Hay With a Farmall 350 Gas #6  
Hello all,

Here's a little Farmall Super A running a square baler (the last minute of this 7.5 minute video).

YouTube - FARMALL Super A

/ Baling Hay With a Farmall 350 Gas #7  
I used a 350 gas wide front end and a NH 68 square baler for several years until I upgraded. Tractor was plenty heavy enough that I did not feel baler plunger to bad.