Backup for wood boiler

/ Backup for wood boiler #11  
Not really possible to give you good advice here without knowing the general location. Heating efficiency is completely dependant upon climate conditions.

That said, my 1650 sq ft house is heated primarily with our woodstove. We have baseboard electric resistance radiators in the bedrooms, and bathroom toe-kick heaters on individual thermostats that never, ever get used. A couple thousand extra bucks during home construction to satisfy our local zoning inspector, and our own conscience about the "out of town" scenario. But we never, ever use them.

Instead, we do occasionally use our 24k btu ductless mini-split in heat mode for nice, quiet air heating. It works splendidly in the "shoulder" seasons when you want to take the chill off but not blast the house with a full load of firewood. And still works pretty well down to ~20°F to hold the house above 65f inside when necessary.

Other considerations of my house that probably won't apply to yours (but should!) :
- passive solar design. No solar radiation blocking from our copious south facing windows (check your glazing options!). If it's sunny, we don't even need a fire.
- earth bermed design: the north wall and most of the west wall of our house is set into the hill side
- house is on slab with no basement. 4" of insulation under the slab to hold a huge mass at room temp and condition the home inside
- Super tight and super insulated walls/roof with full thermal break (R30/R50) with fully taped layer of poly-iso boards on the exterior of the sheathing.

/ Backup for wood boiler #12  
For a backup heat source I would use electric. It's cheaper up front cost.

/ Backup for wood boiler #13  
I would consider one or more mini splits as they do not require any additional fuel sources and could heat your home . We have a mini split and use it to heat and cool our home instead of the wood boiler if it is not too cold outside

/ Backup for wood boiler
Thanks, all.

the home will be at 6000’ in the Black Hills of Wyoming, so winters can be dicey

My concerns about using a wood boiler are the shoulder seasons and times if we have to be away … in the first case, a wood stove indoors should be fine. In the second, it’ll be electric or propane.
thanks for the feedback.

/ Backup for wood boiler #15  
El 6000' in Wyoming? Yeah you got some winter to contend with for sure, haha.

Nonetheless, a ductless minisplit or two could still provide good heating backup down to ~20° outside temps. If you build with enough insulation, a pair of freestanding oil filled 1500W radiators can help below that, too.

/ Backup for wood boiler #16  
I have an indoor wood boiler, it's a gasification type and a pressurized system. We opted for oil backup (via a flat plate heat exchanger) using a "Bock" hot water heater that serves as dhw during the non boiler months. It's got a secondary pair of supply lines and is intended for radiant heating. Mini splits were added for AC years later, but are fantastic for the shoulder seasons.
I'll echo Deezlers stressing of insulation, and this doesn't necessarily mean fiberglass.
Intensely "air sealed" and p iso foam along with better performance windows and doors. Don't forget a little attention to passive solar, great gains can be made simply by proper orientation to the winter sunshine. I know that you get good sun out there.👍

/ Backup for wood boiler #17  
Using electric as a backup for "keep-from-freezing" temps is a smart move, especially if you're already going electric for hot water in the summer. It keeps things streamlined and efficient. Plus, it gives you peace of mind when you're out of town.

If you ever need advice on heating systems or backup options, I've heard good things about boiler repair Surrey services. They might have some insights that could help with your decision-making process.

Last edited:
   / Backup for wood boiler #18  
I got a propane boiler, I like hot water. But I was glad the previous owner put an air handler in so I have AC. I love AC. So I do think electric has many pluses, don't have to prebuy propane for one. Heat pump or furnace will give you cooling in summer. You are paying for second heating system.

Are you better off putting in propane heating system and then just wood stove to supplement? Money wise you will probably be a head, if you want AC. Though many of use enjoying heating with wood, and don't factor in the cost.

I like my house cool in the summer.

/ Backup for wood boiler #19  
As a backup for my oil burner, I replaced my 20 year-old A/C only, mini split with new heat + A/C heat pump mini splits.

/ Backup for wood boiler #20  
Planning new construction of a house … will prefer a wood boiler for heat (radiant, in-floor)

Thoughts on using electric for a backup to keep home at “keep-from-freezing” temps while out of town?

Other thoughts would be propane, I suppose, but we’re already planning electric tankless for hot water in summer months. Electric boiler as back up would eliminate need for additional propane boiler.
Have you owned a wood boiler before?

I had over a dozen friends and coworkers in the mid 2000's put in wood boilers (i have a jutol stove myself)

Not a single one is still doing it. Some the boiler failed and they were sick of being a slave to it and were not saving any money. Other just simply gave up on it. They burn 20 plus cords a wood a year. I burn 2 cords in an efficient wood stove for the same size house plus about 400 gals of propane for shoulder season or when we take trips but that is hot water and stove as well

I am now in the propane business and see the same thing every summer, new customers giving up on the grind of a boiler.

I know one customer that still does have a boiler but its not a wood boiler. Its a big bale boiler and it opens so he can stick a bale of rotten hay or cornstalks in the sucker every other day. He can throw wood in it as well. He is heating his house and his fathers house plus a shop so it make sense.

If you still want to do that, a condensing modulating tank water heater could provide your hot water needs plus be plumbed to the in floor system for heat/freeze protection of the boiler if done right. They are like a modulating boiler with a tank. Much more efficient and the tank provides buffering so it doesn't short cycle. Propane is going to be cheaper than any electric resistant heat unless your electricity is hydro.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT