Backpack blower vs handheld?

/ Backpack blower vs handheld? #1  

tradosaurus

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
   / Backpack blower vs handheld? #2  
there is a night and day difference between backpack and handheld. I wouldn't use a handheld even if it was given to me.

Echo makes really good backpack blowers. The one I have is over 20 years old and still runs great. There are a lot of good brands out there and I wouldn't be surprised if some are even these high power battery pack blowers so you don't have that noise right by your head.

Only downside is the noise by your head in my opinion

/ Backpack blower vs handheld? #3  
Backpack blower is the only way to go, IMO. You will not regret the purchase. I have a Husqvarna, no issues to report aft 5 years of ownership.

Yes, it's loud and it's closer to your cranium. This task calls for hearing protection and I can recommended the 3M WorkTunes bluetooth earmuffs. I listen to audiobooks while I work and the noise is only a small thing.

/ Backpack blower vs handheld? #4  
I have a handheld and it hasn't been started since I got the backpack about 3 years ago.

/ Backpack blower vs handheld? #5  
How much do you need to use it?
I've about 200 yards of driveway at one place, 150 yards at another, several decks and a couple of parking places. The driveways need blowing about once a week in the fall, the decks daily for light touch up so we don't track the outside in. I've a Stihl BR380 (2 stroke) for the driveways and a DeWalt battery operated handheld for the decks.

The DeWalt DCBL720B lives next to the door, easy to grab, no fumes, no starting problems. Not enough power to lift a 10 month old, 2" thick mat of oak leaves wetted down and grown together. Which the Stihl will do.

I would not want to rely on either for both jobs.

/ Backpack blower vs handheld?
How much do you need to use it?
I've about 200 yards of driveway at one place, 150 yards at another, several decks and a couple of parking places. The driveways need blowing about once a week in the fall, the decks daily for light touch up so we don't track the outside in. I've a Stihl BR380 (2 stroke) for the driveways and a DeWalt battery operated handheld for the decks.

The DeWalt DCBL720B lives next to the door, easy to grab, no fumes, no starting problems. Not enough power to lift a 10 month old, 2" thick mat of oak leaves wetted down and grown together. Which the Stihl will do.

I would not want to rely on either for both jobs.

During the Fall is when I use it the most. I have 45 acres, mostly trees, but the trees closest to the house shed a lot. I probably use the leaf blower a good 45 minutes each week getting around the house and driveway, blowing leaves so I can mulch it with the zero turn. I have to keep ahead of the leaves or otherwise I will have 3-5" of leaves that become difficult to mulch. No more raking and burning for me.

Other than that the blower is used to blow off the tractor or zero turn after each use

/ Backpack blower vs handheld? #7  
Both handhelds and backpack blowers have their places. Handhelds for small area, backpack for large ones.

We recently got a DeWalt DCBL772 handheld 60v. It's really useful but I'm not blowing off 800ft of driveway with it.

I've used a Husqvarna backpack blower for years but it never ran right even when new and runs worse now. The carb is not adjustable and has a funky second bore that leads to a tiny reed valve and then to the crankcase. It's a special California emissions deal from 1998 when I bought the blower. I was going to adapt a good adjustable carb but discovered that the intake manifold is much different. It might become a project but in the mean time I had driveways to clear so I bought a Stihl BR450. It works far better than the Husky ever did. This is the second Husky unit I've had that's had emissions equipment that makes it run poorly. Stihl has no problem meeting emissions and running great. I like messing with engines but sometimes it's worth paying an extra $50 or 100 and just getting the work done.

/ Backpack blower vs handheld? #8  
Sell that blower. Bite the bullet and get a big Stihl backpack blower, two stroke or four stroke. Get the best why screw with the rest? I've run a Stihl back pack for commercial work and have one for home use. Da bestest. go git one

/ Backpack blower vs handheld? #10  
I had a couple of backpack blowers, the best of which was a Husky BF145. I went back to handhelds, previously a Stihl, and now a Craftsman. The reason was that I can switch hands with the handheld. The backpack blower is right hand only, and the vibrations cause wrist and arm discomfort for me.

The handheld is a quick grab-and-go effort, while the backback unit has to be slung onto your back. I will next get a 40v electric handheld, and see how good that works.