Backhoe Backhoes--who has one? Would you buy again?

/ Backhoes--who has one? Would you buy again? #1  

GreenTime

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 110TLB, JD 3720, JD Z997, Kubota L5740
Just curious if guys with backhoes on 40-50 HP CUT's are happy with them. For example, how long does it take to dig out a 12" dia tree stump? How often do you remove them to use other 3pt attachments? Any special features to look for? Thanks.

/ Backhoes--who has one? Would you buy again? #2  
I had two on two different Tractors and they were useless now that I know the difference.

I just purchased a Takeuchi TB260 that makes quick work out of anything I tackle. I just dug up a 30 tall tree with a 24" trunk
in about 10 minutes. That included taking down the tree and then removing the root ball.

/ Backhoes--who has one? Would you buy again? #3  
I had one on my 30hp tractor and another one on my 40hp tractor. I have loved the fact that I had them when I needed them, but I am hard pressed to justify the cost of them. I haven't put my BH on in 3 years. If I had to do it again, I think I could have rented a better machine for the job for less money and let somebody else worry about maintenance. Some of it depends on how often you will really use it.

/ Backhoes--who has one? Would you buy again? #4  
I have a backhoe for my Branson 4220, a 42 hp tractor. It's REALLY helpful, but as you note, it has to come off in order to use three-point attachments. My backhoe is readily removable, it probably takes less time to install or remove the hoe than to install the three point components.

I can probably remove a 12" stump in 15 or 20 minutes, depending. Bigger stuff gets tough. If you start trying to dig up 24" fir stumps, as an example, you'll notice the lack of lifting power from the hoe. You'll spend a good deal of time chiseling away at the bigger roots, rocking the stump, digging under it, etc. But the hoe is worth the money. I used mine today to dig a French drain. It'll pay for itself in short order.

I always like Firebirds!

/ Backhoes--who has one? Would you buy again? #5  
Mine's already paid for itself in the first couple of years. I don't use it much, but when I do it's very valuable. I've not tried digging out stumps so can't help there, but I've got clay and rocks. Digging any other way is not going to happen. I do not have the option of accumulating projects, then renting a machine. It gets used a little here and there with an occasional all day long usage. And yes, a trackhoe would be better and I'd prefer one, but cost is a consideration.

/ Backhoes--who has one? Would you buy again? #6  
I was in the no backhoe camp for a long time. I started thinking that one might be useful and asked my dealer, who had a lightly used unit they got on trade in. It cost me about 2/3 what a new Branson BH would, and those are less than some other manufacturers.

How long it takes to dig out a stump depends on the species of tree. Trees with deep tap roots are going to take longer. Also it depends on the skill of the operator. I have about 20 hours on it now and I'm far more skilled at it than I was at first. There's definitely a learning curve. I got a short try on a mid size Kubota mini ex and that was so much easier to operate. The controls allow you to easily move more than one cylinder at a time. With my BH the range of travel on the levers where you can do that is narrow, so it takes more experience.

I take it off when I'm done with it and need to do the next job. It does not stay on long. Re-fitting the 3pt gear takes longer than removing the BH.

I used it a few months ago to make a level spot in the side of a hill for a garden shed. It was more dirt than one would want to move by hand. With the high cost of labor here I hate to think what that would have cost to hire out if I could even find someone who'd be willing to do it.

/ Backhoes--who has one? Would you buy again? #7  
Just curious if guys with backhoes on 40-50 HP CUT's are happy with them. For example, how long does it take to dig out a 12" dia tree stump? How often do you remove them to use other 3pt attachments? Any special features to look for? Thanks.

I have a Kubota L48 TLB.
It is a medium size ( 11' hoe) dedicated TLB, and as such, is a much stronger machine than just a CUT with added BH attachment.
The hoe is QA, and the machine does have a 3pt. hitch, and PTO.
I never take the BH off!
I have a smaller (32HP) FEL tractor for 3pt. hitch use.

Although I do not use it a lot, I would NEVER want to be without my BH, for a whole host of reasons.
I think it very likely that I could dig out a 10" stump in 10 minutes.

Last edited:
   / Backhoes--who has one? Would you buy again? #8  
I have used several sub frame back hoe attachments. I have taken on and off several of them also. I switch implements a lot. When I went to buy my new tractor for the cost of them and the swapping around it wasnt for me.
I bought a full size 4x4 backhoe for $15k. Digs faster, lifts more, more breakout force than a CUT one. After I do all Im going to do with it in a few years , if I cant get all of my $15k back out of it, its going to be very close to it.
If I was someone who was going to have the need for a backhoe attachment a lot, Id look at a dedicated backhoe.

/ Backhoes--who has one? Would you buy again? #9  
A tractor backhoe is a far cry from an excavator or even a real backhoe. You can about forgot about digging stumps with one. That being said I used to have one and I used it a lot. I sold my tractor backhoe and bought a JD 310. It was a sweet digging machine but it was really lacking in options. I traded it for my M59 that I currently have.

/ Backhoes--who has one? Would you buy again? #10  
Had one (on a previous tractor) sold it and never bought another. Useless expensive implement when I can go to Black Swamp or Herc Rental and rent a JCB or a mini Ex for 250 a day for when I need one. No worries, no maintenance. Come with fuel in them.

Far as trenching for waterlines, etc, a self propelled trencher runs circles around any BH. I can lay 500 feet of trench, 5 feet deep in an afternoon and backfill is a rake in job. Little spoil.