Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #61  
I have a Massey 1723 tlb and they also have the 25 hp version. The 3 point stays on with the backhoe just pull a couple pins and it folds up. Removal of the backhoe takes less than 5 minutes. The loader is also quick release although I have never had mine off. I have 16 acres and use it for snow removal, hauling materials around the property, digging water and electrical lines, and removing stumps. The plus is it was designed as a tlb so everything is frame mounted. Seeing how much force it puts out I would not recommend a 3 point hoe.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #62  
I don’t know why you would need a mid-sized tractor for six acres. I have 36 acres and a Massey 1736 with FEL and a backhoe. I wouldn’t mind a little more horsepower, but not more size.

I use the FEL with either bucket or forks almost daily. I have a 6’ finish mower that sees use at least once a week all summer. I also have a 6’ brush mower that gets used 2-3 times a year.

I’ve dug countless stumps with the little backhoe, some up to 3’+ in diameter. It’s not fast, but it gets the job done. I’ve also dug in drain lines and culverts for myself and neighbors. It takes about ten minutes to install or remove the backhoe.

The negative side of this unit is that it’s not as substantial as some others. I’ve had to reinforce the subframe and replace the dipper pin, which is poorly designed, several times.

That said, it has been well worth the investment and a unit of similar size would be more than adequate for six acres. I’d probably lean towards Kubota if I had it to do over, but I think a compact tractor would be much handier than something larger. That’s my $.02 worth.

Last edited:
   / Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #63  
Silly question, but here it goes.

Which would be most ideal for a 6 acre property with long driveway, mature trees, snow removal, and making and maintaining a small veggie garden. A midsize backhoe with loader or a midsize tractor with backhoe and loader?
Midsize tractor loader and rent a backhoe if you need one

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #64  
I second those who have brought up the L47 (or even M62) for the most part, but understand a couple of drawbacks: Those machines will not have removable FELs, and factory cabs are not options as far as I know. In your shoes I'd be tempted to get something like a Yanmar YT349C with a backhoe (or something similar from Kubota), if staying warm in the snow is important. Otherwise I'd be really tempted by Kubota's dedicated construction TLBs. As long as you're good leaving the loader on and having an open (covered) station, the power of the implements will be better that most of what you'll get in a well equipped tractor. You can also remove the backhoe on Kubota's B26/L47/M62 and run PTO implements on 3-point hitches. Something you can't do with full-size dedicated construction machines from Deere or CAT. But if a cab and versatility is what you want, get a tractor. The answer, depending on your dealer locations, is probably YT349C though, or something like that.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #65  
I will agree with this. If Money and Storage Space are no factor....by all means, get the backhoe attachment. Just know they're limited in use, especially on a compact tractor; they don't have the swing range, capacity/power of a dedicated machine, etc... I found a friend with a BX w/Backhoe and it was very very weak. I have a larger tractor, but agree with several posters here....rent when needed. With 6 acres? I can't imagine you'd use one after the initial jobs you plan on using it for are done.

My real-world decision and experience is that they aren't as useful or used as frequently as you'd think. I was not a "Money no object" guy, but I could have swung the extra cost. I'm glad I listened to my friends...the Brush Hog/Rotary, Landscape rake, and Box Blade are used, and outside of "playing," I really can't think of a chore I'd have used it. I do know (no quick attachment set up) that it's a chore to change out 3 points... though I've learned how to make it easier...and I don't think a Backhoe would have done anything but sit in a corner most of the time.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #66  

Which would be most ideal for a 6 acre property with long driveway, mature trees, snow removal, and making and maintaining a small veggie garden. A midsize backhoe with loader or a midsize tractor with backhoe and loader?
I have 5 heavily wooded acres. I have a Kubota BX 25D which has an integrated backhoe and a box blade. I installed a 750’ driveway through heavily rocky and slopes terrain. I’ve cleared a build site for a barn, and dug a 1000’ trench, 4’ deep for water and electric lines. The difference between the BX and others is connectivity. The BX frame has dedicated attachment points where others use a 3-point hitch. The backhoe becomes parts of the tractor. I have over 425 hours on it and it’s never let me down and had accomplished everything I’ve asked it to do. It might take a bit more time, but it’s a great machine and highly recommended.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #67  
You really have to decide how often you're going to use those big pieces. Particularly the backhoe...and how effective it would be if mounted on a tractor. I'm a fan of stacking up a pile of work and then renting a tracked excavator. Chances are that for a grand you'd accomplish a LOT of work...and somebody else has to worry about it sitting around doing nothing the rest of the year.
A backhoe for my Kubota would run me about $6500, last I checked. I can rent a machine that does more, and does it faster, several times for that money.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #68  

I have two LS tractors....the first is a XR4040H (40HP) with an OEM frame mounted backhoe, a front bucket, a rear box blade, a tiller, and a hard rake. That tractor is hydrostatic which is MUCH easier to operate.

Then I purchased an LS MT573 with a bucket, a root grapple, a land grander (fancy box blade), and a front mounted hyraulic auger by a company called Danuser. The root grapple and the auger are absolutely AWESOME. However, even though it's 75HP with a cab, the transmission is a shuttle shift. That thing has a learning curve but not impossible.

I cannot get myself to sell the XR4040H since it's so easy to use and I'd hate to lose my backhoe. As for snow removal, you'll need an angled blade similar to a pickup mounted blade. Using a bucket is slow going but it works.

Hope it helps....

John

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #69  

TYM has backhoes for all sizes of their tractors and they come with the necessary subframe. It takes me 30 minutes to install or remove mine. Seen guys do it in 15 but I'm extra cautious. The backhoe gets less use than any of my other attachments but I don't regret having it (stays off until needed).
Unless you're going to be using backhoe every week I think you would want utility tractor, hydro drive, and the extra versatility of all those attachment options.
Since you're still deciding think about flail mower instead of bush hog. Another choice I don't regret. I do regret the $3000. stump grinder.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #70  

Hello. We have almost the same size residential property you are describing. I have a Kubota tractor with a loader and backhoe. The loader and backhoe are easy to take off and on so you can use a whole array of different equipment with your tractor. I recently wanted to see if using an excavator would make a difference to using my backhoe. What a waste of time that was. The backhoe on the tractor is a must IMO. Highly recommend that be part of your purchase and not some 3-point hitch attachment. Tied into the frame of the tractor is best and worth the money. I usually leave the BH on the tractor because I use it so much. I see a lot of squirrels, lol. I can be mowing the field and the next thing I am digging out a stump. Don't get scared off having to remove and attach the backhoe. A lot easier than one would expect and I always do it myself. I did make a cart with casters for myself to sit it on when on in use and to easily move around the shop. The first cart was out of wood and performed well for many years until I got the money to make it right (metal). She wouldn't buy me a welder for Christmas. LOL.