Backhoe boom struggles to go up, drops when feathering up

/ Backhoe boom struggles to go up, drops when feathering up #1  

dirtyb115

Bronze Member
Hi all. I have a new to me RK37 with the backhoe option. I was using it the other day to dig a couple of holes for some new trees and it was barely able to get the boom all the way up especially if the other cylinders were extended. I had the rpms up around 2000. I also noticed that when i try to go up with the boom very slowly it actually drops. If i go faster, it drops a small amount before going up. Any ideas on things i could check/try?

I was also curious, should the stabilizers be capable of lifting the tractor off it's rear wheels?

Thanks!

/ Backhoe boom struggles to go up, drops when feathering up #2  
Slow or weak hydraulics are sometimes caused by having the three point in the full up position. Be sure yours is not quite full up and see if anything changes. If that was the source of the problem a slight adjustment to the rock shaft is in order. The stabilizers may be able to lift the rear wheels off the ground depending on their length and placement.

/ Backhoe boom struggles to go up, drops when feathering up #3  
Are there any leaks, also unplug the couplers blow them out with an air hose, (watch the O- rings) and plug them back in.
Do you have enough hydraulic fluid, check the dipstick.
Also check your 3 point lift lever that its in neutral, it could be in a conflict with the pump and the hoe if its in the up mode (back)..

Also what Roadworthy mentioned , the rockshaft lever, the one between your feet, below the front of the seat, screw it OUT to the left all the way.
Keep us posted

/ Backhoe boom struggles to go up, drops when feathering up
Slow or weak hydraulics are sometimes caused by having the three point in the full up position. Be sure yours is not quite full up and see if anything changes. If that was the source of the problem a slight adjustment to the rock shaft is in order. The stabilizers may be able to lift the rear wheels off the ground depending on their length and placement.
Thanks for the reply. Three point is in the down position.

Are there any leaks, also unplug the couplers blow them out with an air hose, (watch the O- rings) and plug them back in.
Do you have enough hydraulic fluid, check the dipstick.
Also check your 3 point lift lever that its in neutral, it could be in a conflict with the pump and the hoe if its in the up mode (back)..

Also what Roadworthy mentioned , the rockshaft lever, the one between your feet, below the front of the seat, screw it OUT to the left all the way.
Keep us posted
No leaks. Hydraulic fluid is not low.
I have an auxiliary hydraulic switch. It seems position 1 is for the 3 point lift, position 2 is the backhoe currently. I have it in position 2.
I have the rockshaft all the way left.
I'll unplug the couplers and try that.
I just ordered a pressure test gauge, but it won't be in for a few days.
Thanks

/ Backhoe boom struggles to go up, drops when feathering up #6  
Is that the only function acting strange? Dropping before raising sounds like a load check leaking but that should not prevent lifting fully.

/ Backhoe boom struggles to go up, drops when feathering up #7  
Your on the right path. Have you checked your remote position lever to make sure the nut is tight that holds it on.
Dirty, does this machine have a small pto mounted pump to run the back hoe, or does it run off the tractor hydraulics ?

Is that the only function acting strange? Dropping before raising sounds like a load check leaking but that should not prevent lifting fully.
Yes that's the only one. Rest of the backhoe seems to function as it should. The loader also works like it should

Your on the right path. Have you checked your remote position lever to make sure the nut is tight that holds it on.
Dirty, does this machine have a small pto mounted pump to run the back hoe, or does it run off the tractor hydraulics ?
I don't remember anything being loose when I had the seat off the other week. I do remember looking at that assembly.

It runs off the tractor hydraulics.

/ Backhoe boom struggles to go up, drops when feathering up #10  
Well that eliminates a few things