Backhoe attachment

/ Backhoe attachment #1  

John1550

Tractor
Kubota B1550
I have a B1550 tractor I'm looking for a backhoe for. Specs call for a bh65, 650,6000 size for this tractor. Looking to buy used. I found several bh7500 models but the smaller one I'm not having any luck. My question is would a 7500 with a sub frame work on my size ?
Thanks
John

/ Backhoe attachment #2  
If a bh650 fits then a bh7500 ought to as well because judging by the pics they use the same 'base'. It can definitely be made to work. I would encourage you to try because having an extra bit of reach would make my Kubota-branded bh650 backhoe a LOT less annoying to work with. It can dig just fine but you don't have a lot of options of where to dump the stuff with such short reach. Also have to move the tractor more often.

/ Backhoe attachment
If a bh650 fits then a bh7500 ought to as well because judging by the pics they use the same 'base'. It can definitely be made to work. I would encourage you to try because having an extra bit of reach would make my Kubota-branded bh650 backhoe a LOT less annoying to work with. It can dig just fine but you don't have a lot of options of where to dump the stuff with such short reach. Also have to move the tractor more often.
My concern is the 7500 calls for a minimum of 20 hp where mine is 16 hp and it's also 200lbs heavier than the 650.
There's a nice 7500 for sale local with a sub frame for 3500.00 so I need to make a decision I guess

/ Backhoe attachment #4  
HP is a silly thing to rate a backhoe by. The backhoe runs off of hydraulics. You can calculate how much HP it takes to make X gpm @ X psi and i think youd find that basically any small backhoe takes no more than 6hp to hydraulically operate.

I think what the hp number is getting at, is it’s a stand in for tractor ‘size’. There are a couple reasons a tractor needs to be a certain size to run a backhoe. First one is, just like a 3pt implement, will a tractor do a wheelie just trying to move with this thing hanging off the back? If this thing weighs 1000lbs and you know you can pick up 1000+ on the 3pt and still actually get somewhere, you’re good.

The other thing is what happens when you push on the ground with the hoe? On an extremely light tractor, you can barely push on the ground at all before you just push the back of the tractor up into the air rather than pushing the bucket into the ground. That creates some safety issues, but dealing with safety issues is basically the definition of being an equipment operator, and you can ‘work around it’. Adding weight to the back of your tractor in the form of tire fill and wheel weights will make the backhoe less finicky to operate, but good technique can do more than adding all the weight in the world. One thing you can do to improve the situation is use the loader bucket to push the front tires off the ground. That way, in order for the hoe to pick up the back of the tractor it has to lift the weight of the WHOLE tractor.

I wouldn’t hesitate, personally. Any backhoe is better than none but having the additional reach of the 7.5ft model is very desirable from my experience running a 5.5ft, a 6.5ft and a much larger mini excavator that probably had a 12-14 ft dig depth. The reach allows you to set the ‘spoils’ in more places or further from the hole, AND requires moving the machine less often when trenching.

Last edited:
   / Backhoe attachment #5  
As others have said the HP is not an issue - just the hydraulic flow - the B1550 likely has a lower flow rate but this won't matter too much.

What you need to ensure is the getting the subframe mounted solid on your machine for the 7500BH - this is the most critical portion as you do not want to connect via the 3PT arms on the B1550. You may need spacers and other mods to the subframe to fit but once done it's fit right it will work well.

You will need to connect the BH lines either to existing ports, or run new lines from the power beyond.

So it's a project, but well worth it (at $3500) if you can do some basic mechanical and hydraulic work.

/ Backhoe attachment
So my tractor has a 826lb lift capacity on the 3 pt. The 7500 weigh roughly 900lbs with the bucket I also found this which I'm told is the right size for my tractor around 700lbs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230226_154558_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230226_154558_Facebook.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 85
   / Backhoe attachment #7  
DO NOT GET / USE A 3 POINT BH! They will eventually break the tractor in half or cause other problems.
You initially said you would have the subframe..... if so, the 3 point lift is irrelevant. You won't be using the 3 point if there is a subframe.

/ Backhoe attachment
Noooo not using 3 pt just telling what the load rating for rear of tractor is

/ Backhoe attachment #9  
I can not specifically answer your question, but I can offer this much. My father has a Woods BH9000 for his Kubota, that I have put more of the hours on than he has. In 20 years of use, I never once ran the engine at full tilt, 1800 to 2000 rpm usually. It has plenty of hydraulic power (for what it is), just takes time.

/ Backhoe attachment #10  
I've had several small 3pt and subframe backhoes. Judging from the video, this is not a 3pt backhoe because it has a subframe. As long as the subframe will fit your tractor, you won't have a bit of problem with the backhoe itself. If it were my choice - the price sounds good. I'd get it IF the subframe will fit. Use it cautiously until you are comfortable with the very slightly greater power and weight distribution and enjoy. If the subframe fits, the Backhoe itself will be fine. A subframe protects the tractor. You'll be glad you got it.

If you have any questions about pressure or flow, ask away.
rScotty