backhoe attachment vs a separate machine

/ backhoe attachment vs a separate machine #31  
I really get tired of the rental schtick. That might work for people who have rental yards close that always have machines available and that have the means to transport it.

I've been planning on digging a trench to lay a line. I've been watching the weather to pick a day. This time of year, forecasts beyond a few hours are generally worthless, let alone a few days out, which is what many yards require for scheduling.

Seven o-clock this morning, I stepped outside and all was right for weather and soil conditions. Started the tractor, dropped the tiller, picked up the BH and I was digging a half hour later. On a Sunday when most yards are closed, or only on half day schedules.

Took me most of the day, and didn't finish until after four ... too late to have loaded up a machine and return it.

/ backhoe attachment vs a separate machine #32  
About 12 years ago I bought a very worn Case 580CK backhoe just to install my septic system. I paid 5 grand for it. My neighbor, a good friend, tried to talk me out of the purchase and to instead rent. I have never regretted buying the backhoe. It is a HUGE advantage to be able to fire the thing up and use it when I want to, like when I had to dig up a broken water line, the line from my well to everything else. On a Sunday.
Now I want to find a small backhoe to put on the back of my Yanmar YM2310. I can't afford a mini excavator. And even though the small backhoe on the back of my much lighter YM2310 won't dig like the case I know it would get plenty of use. Unlike the Case though if I get a small backhoe it will also have a thumb, one way or another.
Eric

/ backhoe attachment vs a separate machine #33  
We looked at the rental prices. Stupid crazy. Was almost $1500 a week to rent a mini. Now I can use it whenever. Not the biggest but I can reach 14ft and dig 8 1/2' down.

/ backhoe attachment vs a separate machine #34  
About 12 years ago I bought a very worn Case 580CK backhoe just to install my septic system. I paid 5 grand for it. My neighbor, a good friend, tried to talk me out of the purchase and to instead rent. I have never regretted buying the backhoe. It is a HUGE advantage to be able to fire the thing up and use it when I want to, like when I had to dig up a broken water line, the line from my well to everything else. On a Sunday.
Now I want to find a small backhoe to put on the back of my Yanmar YM2310. I can't afford a mini excavator. And even though the small backhoe on the back of my much lighter YM2310 won't dig like the case I know it would get plenty of use. Unlike the Case though if I get a small backhoe it will also have a thumb, one way or another.
Eric
Gotta have a thumb.

/ backhoe attachment vs a separate machine #35  
Wandering around this morning looking at what needs to be done. Decide to dig the spent ash and debris out of the fire pit.

Did I really need to use the BH that was already on the tractor? Maybe not.
Did it beat using a hand shovel? You betcha'.
Did I save a half a day not having to call around and arrange transportation? You betcha'.

/ backhoe attachment vs a separate machine #36  
Wandering around this morning looking at what needs to be done. Decide to dig the spent ash and debris out of the fire pit.

Did I really need to use the BH that was already on the tractor? Maybe not.
Did it beat using a hand shovel? You betcha'.
Did I save a half a day not having to call around and arrange transportation? You betcha'.

It's hard to calculate the value of the convenience of having a tractor mounted backhoe always available, even with it's lighter capability than a dedicated machine. I put a lot of value on it.

/ backhoe attachment vs a separate machine #37  
So i'm pretty light on experience in both areas. I've used one mini-x (borrowed) and one backhoe (mine), both maybe 30-40hrs each. But, i have used both!

I would say the main thing you notice with the tractor backhoe is that you can pick up dirt but you have a lot harder time putting it down, as in you run out of space to dump the material you're digging up pretty quick just because you're limited to that ~180 degree swing unless you want to move the machine.

2nd thing is the reduced reach vs typical mini-x. Also reduces your options for dropping material and requires moving more often.

3rd harder to move the machine.

So you could say a tractor backhoe is like 1/3rd the digging machine that a mini-x of comparable overall size (not reach) is, but.. it could be LESS than 1/3rd the price. I got a crazy deal on my B8200 w/subframe backhoe needing work.. but there basically ARE no crazy deals on mini-Xs because everyone wants one. Cheapest i've seen locally was like 8k needing an unknown amount of work. I'd have to get an older one the right size for like 4k, and from what i've seen it's not gonna happen because a: there aren't many out there, and b: if someone lists a mini-x of any anything whatsoever for 4k it's gonna sell in 30 seconds and i'll never see it.

So im pretty happy with what i've got because it's what im willing to afford. As a lifelong mechanic who always buys things broken for pennies on the dollar (like my backhoe) a mini-x just isn't realistic and i don't have enough of a need to spend what they're 'worth' to get one at normal prices.

What i MIGHT do, is put a full backhoe attachment (with swing, outriggers etc) on the front of my tiny skid steer. It'd sure be cheaper than buying a mini-x but would address a lot of the issues.

/ backhoe attachment vs a separate machine #38  
It's hard to calculate the value of the convenience of having a tractor mounted backhoe always available, even with it's lighter capability than a dedicated machine. I put a lot of value on it.

And that's what this debate always comes down to. It's not really about the backhoe or not. It's a question of how we value our time versus our money.

I'm lazy & convenience is valuable to me. I guess some people are just built that way.
But I have noticed that people who value their time not only have a backhoe, but probably another tractor too.

Like Vigo327 says above, it doesn't take money to buy broken things & fix them.
One of the great equalizers is there are no restrictions on fixing broken machines.
Anyone can do it.
rScotty

/ backhoe attachment vs a separate machine #39  
Years ago, I had the choice of buying a Terramite or a tractor BH attachment to dig my septic system and some drainage lines. A tractor dealer cautioned me that he had seen some tractor rear ends broken when used in BH operations. That pretty much steered me towards the Terramite because I didn't want to break my tractor.

It's been very handy to have a separate machine. It still gets used and is getting used pretty hard at the moment on a project clearing out some small saplings and saplings.

Used ones are about 2x what I paid. Had to rebuild the steering box and replace the engine along with some cylinder seals and hoses along the way, but no surprises there.

These things were sold off from rental fleets that have apparently gone to full size machines and/or Kubotas with BHs. Like everything else (more better, more money), you have to figure out what's available and what it's going to cost to own and use.

/ backhoe attachment vs a separate machine #40  
I have a few rentals in the country. Septic tank lids need to be dug up with not much notice, a stump here and there, a culvert, just because I could. I have the 9' back hoe for my tractor and wouldn't be without it. I love the convenience of it being there any time I need or want it. I can store it inside and don't feel bad if I don't use it for a year. I'm not sure I can justify the cost, but its a lot cheeper than another machine and the maintenance that goes with it.