B7800 w/cab fueling

/ B7800 w/cab fueling #1  

DHD

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I have a B7800 with a Curtis Cab.
After owning the B7800 for 5 years I finally got a LA402 loader installed.

I see a potential problem when it comes to fueling now that I have the loader,
with the cross bar passing over the top of the fuel cap, and the Curtis Cab installed.

Without the loader cross bar,
I use to be able the use my blitz nozzle stye
plastic 5 gallon fuel container to fuel with.
Now with the Cab and the loader cross arm in the way,
I can get the blitz nozzle lip on the lip the fuel tank,
but I can barely get the nozzle to open,
because my downward movement to open the nozzle
is limited by the can against the tapering glass of the cab
and the nozzle against the loader cross arm.

B2910 and B7610 owners with cabs and loaders I think would have a similar issue.

I was wonder how you folks might be fueling your tractors.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Fueling.JPG
    Fueling.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 403
   / B7800 w/cab fueling #2  
Add a length of rubber hose to the end of the nozzle.

/ B7800 w/cab fueling #3  
When I bought my B7800 with FEL I thought/still think someone in design messed up. I used a squeeze siphon pump that cost around $3 at flea markets to fill mine with the fuel can sitting on the hood. They are usually used to fill kerosene heaters. I still have a couple of them and still use them to fill my B3200 when the can is full. On another forum a owner of a B7800 kept complaining about the location of the filler opening under the bar and it became a real issue with the "I have a perfect machine and anyone that says otherwise is stupid" group and he wouldn't give it up that it is/was a bad design. The supporters of "whatever they had was perfect group" were getting pretty caustic with him. I agreed that it was a bad design but it's what I had so I stayed out of the fray. It finally got so heated that a few of them told him to just get rid of his B7800 if it was so bad. I just read and grinned at the "feud". The abrupt stop in reverse on the BX2350 thread on this forum sort of reminded me of the B7800 FEL crossbar over the filler hole thread on the other forum. I've actually had both of them and now they are gone. I didn't get rid of the B7800 because of it's issue but I did the BX2350 because of it's issue. I'm sure/certain LB will provide pictures of his $500 100 gallon fuel filling station which is much better than my $3 squeeze siphon pump but alot more expensive. Someone also posted a battery operated $15 siphon at Lowes like my $3 hand squeeze pump. I plan to go by Lowes and get one if they have them at my Lowes store.

/ B7800 w/cab fueling #4  
Yep, it's an annoying little problem, especially with a cab. Like John Thomas, I also have used the little squeeze siphon pump and it works well, but I like to use a screened funnel in case there's any dirt in my fuel containers. So I rigged up a homemade funnel holder from plastic plumbing pipe fixtures (2 elbows and a short length of pipe). It fits under the crossbar and essentially offsets the tank filler pipe. It works quite well. I'll try to get a picture and post later.

/ B7800 w/cab fueling #5  
Here's a couple of pics of my funnel holder. The pipe is 1.25" ABS, the legs are scrap sheet metal covered with duct tape to prevent scratching. I think Red Green would approve.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• KubotaFunnelHolder 001.jpg
    KubotaFunnelHolder 001.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 549
  • KubotaFunnelHolder 002.jpg
    KubotaFunnelHolder 002.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 414
   / B7800 w/cab fueling #6  
Ah, the pleasures of filling the fuel tank with a Curtis cab and FEL!!!
I have had to use a large funnel wedged between the windshield and that bar.
The designer must have had his head where the sun doesn't shine.
Want another problem you'll run into????????
Water in the fuel.
Drove me crazy for 2 years until I realized it was from the rain running down
the windshield and filling the space around the fuel cap! It was siphoned up
into the tank.
I solved it with a rubber mat, locked into the lower window and overlapping the cap.
The cab is great, we just have to overcome the little annoyances.
Rick

/ B7800 w/cab fueling #8  
   / B7800 w/cab fueling
I just noticed a long running discussion
"any easy way to get gas in the tank?"
on the General Forum Owning/Operating
Alot of interesting suggestion.

The Han-D fuel looks interesting as suggested by jwstewar.

Han-D Fuel Transfer Pump - 3958951 | Tractor Supply Company

herringchoker
I like the idea of using a screened funnel, I've been noticing sediment in the bottom of my fuel cans.
I'll be building me a homemade funnel holder like what your pictures show.
I appreciate you showing me.

milstencil
I've not noticed a problem with water in my fuel yet,
if I had I probably would have blamed the service station
where I bought my fuel at.
I would never suspected rain water around the fuel cap.
About the only time my tractor is caught in the rain
is when I'm snowblowing in a snowstorm, and the snowstorm turns to rain.
Next time that happens I guess I'd better get a rag and soak up any
pooled water around my fuel cap.
Thanks for the info

JOHNTHOMAS
I agree, the fueling issue with the B7800 is certainly design messed up.
I am not too crazy about the brakes and hydo pedal being on the same side either.
Kind of inconvinent for me during brake steering, but I would not trade for those minior issues.
I sure all tractors have some problems.

NY Yankees Fan
I haven't seen the Battery Operated Syphon Pump.
I have used the hand squeeze kerosene pumps before when I'd fill my kerosene heater.
It seems the plastic on the squeeze pumps I had would crack and leak after awhile.
I would hope the Battery Operated Syphon Pump's constructed, to be more reliable.
I'll have to check one out at Lowes.

Many good ideas, thank you all for the help

/ B7800 w/cab fueling #10  
I do not have a cab but I do have a LA 402 loader with the brace in the way. I pull the QA pins like I'm takeing off the loader pull back on the loader cotrol lever just enough for the brace to move out of the way fill the tank and replace the pins. It take just a few seconds, less time than it takes to wipe fuel off my hood.