Mowing B7500 Sickle Mower

/ B7500 Sickle Mower #1  

Doty

Tractor
JD 2320. X530
I've searched the forums, I've done some homework, now I'm looking for some more opinions on a specific setup. I'm looking to mow some steep embankments with a B7500 and a sickle mower. It seems to me that a belt drive is the only way for me to go since I want to mow below vertical. I also understand some limitations on the offset weight and that the horsepower requirement is negligable.

So now I'm asking, which would you buy and why? How about a tow behind?

Other suggestions please...

/ B7500 Sickle Mower #2  
I use an AC (old model) 3pt on my Kubota L4200... it is a 7 ft.
I've rigged it up to hydraulically swing from 90 degrees Up to near 90 degrees Down. There are a few ways to do a belt drive, I think AC had the Best.
3pt is the handiest but a trailer type will work, but it's not as agile, can be a bit cumbersome.
I use my AC to side trim Hedge trees and do very deep ditches, and around my pond... works great. KennyV

Attachments

• P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 724
   / B7500 Sickle Mower #3  
The only mowers I have experience with are the New Holland 450/451 (3pt) and equivalent trailer type (model 455 I think). For this size tractor the trailer type are going to be the easiest to setup/hook up, provided you have a hydraulic remote valve on the tractor. Just drop in the hitch pin, hook up the PTO shaft and hydraulics and you are ready to mow.

I have a 451 model which is 3pt hitch type. To use it on a B-series Kubota you need the optional toplink adapter for compact tractors. I made my own and it was fairly straight forward if you have welding capabilities. The 3pt hitch mower is more compact and maneuverable, but also harder to hook up. I was worried about the weight, but my B3200 handles it fine, even on moderate slopes. If you get on a steep slope with the mower on the down hill side, you have to be careful, but for all of my uses (mowing hay, around the ponds, etc) it works fine.

I don't have any experience with one, but one of our neighbors used a Ford 501 sicklebar mower on a B-series Kubota, seemed to work fine as well (but is not belt drive.) Regardless, stick to a maximum of 7' cut or less, the 9' mowers are way to much for this size tractor.

Attached are a couple pics of my tractor with mower (mowed about 15ac of hay with it that day.)

Attachments

• IMG_0090sm.JPG
    IMG_0090sm.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 1,349
  • IMG_0099sm.JPG
    IMG_0099sm.JPG
    315 KB · Views: 429
   / B7500 Sickle Mower
How about a Ford 515? What's so bad about them? I found one today in decent shape for $350.

Thanks for the informative replies so far.

Last edited:
   / B7500 Sickle Mower #6  
Do you guys think my bx-24 could handle a 7ft cycle mower? I have some steep banks and a 1 acre pond and I think it would be easier to mow with one? Thanks

/ B7500 Sickle Mower #7  
A few years ago I bought a John Deere 350 9' belt drive sickle mower for a Kubota B2400. The JD is quite heavy (650#), even for a belt drive mower. The three point hitch would lift the weight okay, but the offset nature of the weight put a great sideways strain on the TPH that I felt would probably break the rockshaft at some point. So I build a subframe for the mower that carries all the weight from the rear axle housings and it works great. It cuts even heavy weeds at full speed in low range (about 2 1/2 acres/hour) without any strain.