B2710 Steering problems

/ B2710 Steering problems #21  
Well guys, the dealer could not duplicate the problem yesterday and we are still waiting for Kubota to call him back to see if they have any info on the problem. I understand the dealer not getting it to act up. He drove it for a 1/2 hour up and down the road and figure 8's and using the loader. He said it was fine for him and we may have to wait until (if) it gets worse. It came and went over the past weekend for me so I will pick it up today and see how it goes. Maybe I can cut for an hour or two and get it to act up and trailer it down to him real quick to show them. Hopefully it was just air and it's no big deal and I'm discouraged for no good reason.

Ian, you don't have an email address listed so I will ask you here....Do you know if your dealer found a service bulleten to fix yours? I would like more info on your fix. It sounds encouraging what they found. I may want to call them firsthand and talk to them if our district service rep is of no help. You may email me at bsauter@iquest.net if you like.

Bird, please be sure to let us know if you do find something out from your dealer.

Thanks!
Brad in Indiana

/ B2710 Steering problems #22  
Dealer just called me and offered to take the B2910 back and sell me a L3010 since I was not very happy about some other things on the tractor. Comfort (as in leg room), weight, throttle and steering problems. I really do like the B2910 and the design and features but I think I may lean towards getting out of it now with 21 hours on it and going to the L. I think I might have underbought a little with all the bushhogging I do.

I have nothing but praise for the dealer and Kubota for offering this to me. Dealer said the the President of the northern division said that they want me happy. I'm not used to a big company treating people that way!!

Now I have a big decision to make!!!!

/ B2710 Steering problems #23  
With this opportunity you might want to move up another step from the L3010 for a little extra $$. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but over the past year I have heard on this board that the L3010 might be relatively underpowered when compared to the B2710. I would think this would be more true when compared to the 2910.

/ B2710 Steering problems #24  
I thought about that but the 3410 is quite a bit more money for me. I'm not too worried about the power, I tested several machines this afternoon, I would like more operating room and weight. 3010's are popular bushhogging machines around this area (a lot has to do with price) and handle 6 foot cutters real well. Carvers has some glowing reviews for the 3010 and they sell far better than the 3410 here. Again price I think...The 3710 is only about $500 more than the 3410 and worth it but I can't make that big a leap and still stay married /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif .

/ B2710 Steering problems
Just got my tractor back today.
No paperwork came with it...so I can't say exactly what they did - but when I called the dealer the Service Manager said they had to install a new (longer) pick up line in the gearcase, and re-route the hydraulic pick-up line through a filter.
I'm totally confused (not to mention discouraged).
Bottom line - they had to split the tractor to do whatever work was necessary.
I hate the idea of major work having to be done on a nearly new tractor. Never mind the warranty, I just don't believe that it gets put back together as well as the factory did it in the first place.
There is a service bulletin out on this according to the dealer, but who knows when I'll get my promised copy. I'm going to the distributor on Monday, and see if I can get a copy from them.
I haven't had the chance to get the mower back on for a test. I'll be less than pleased if the fix didn't work...
One question. My owners manual shows the Transmission Oil Filter on the left hand side of the tractor on page 55. Does anyone know what page shows the filter on the right hand side of the tractor? I can't seem to find it.
P.S. If I do get a copy of the service bulletin, I'll ask the techno-wizards at work to show me how to attach a scan of it to my post.

/ B2710 Steering problems #26  
Ian, are you talking about a spin on filter on the right side, or the strainer? The filter is on the left, but there are strainers (or screens) on both sides.

Bird

Bird - I've now got a spin on filter on both sides. And, just to make it easy for me, they used the highly classified, top secret type - all black, with no part number visible.
Guess it will all be revealed to me when I finally get to see the service bulletin /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

/ B2710 Steering problems #28  
Ian, I really will be interested in knowing whether a Kubota service bulletin exists or whether this is something your dealer thought should be done, and whether it works, etc.

Bird

/ B2710 Steering problems #29  
Did the service people tell you they had to split the tractor to do the work? That's a bit surprising.

Yes, the service people did tell me they had to split the tractor to install the new line. Now I've got to reconnect the hazard lights, re-rig the mower / loader frame so the mower fits correctly, install cotter pins the right way 'round (clearance problems) etc.
Sure, I mess up sometimes, but overall I'd rather work on the tractor myself.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
On to the modification:
The hydraulic oil line (suction), part # 6C070-3911-0 has been replaced by a new line part # 6C140-3911-0.
The oil strainer (filter, oil as it is referred to in the parts manual) has been replaced with a plug, part # 6C170-3929-0, and a spin on oil filter cartridge part # 67955-3771-0 has been added.
The rest of the assembly forward of the suction pipe (inlet hose, clamps) remains unchanged.
As far as performance goes, the tractor's steering gave no indications of any problems after an hours run. Since it's now much cooler than summer however, the jury's still out on the fix.
I've got a copy of the page that details the new parts.
Figure number is J20102.
Location number is G06-R.
I'll try to attach a copy of the file, hope this works.../w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif
Oops, the file was too big. I'll ask the techno-wizards to apply shrinkage potion tomorrow.