Backhoe B21 BH (BT751) Moving while off tractor

/ B21 BH (BT751) Moving while off tractor #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
Planning to reseal boom cylinder. The BH is in the "removed from tractor" position, which makes it a task to remove the boom cylinder.

The swing cylinders are still out as I resealed them and figure it is easier to move the boom, etc, when they are not in the way. I expect to replace the bushings in several places, and maybe pins, as there is, to me, a lot of slop in the boom and swing frame. There appear to be bushings or other wear items in the areas of concern.

However, since the BH is sitting where how it is, I find I cannot manipulate it properly to get the boom free from the swing frame.

So, I am faced with rigging up some ways to hoist the various bits, without (extreme) danger or any damage to hoses an fittings, or, to temporarily hook up the tractor, hydraulic lines only, to allow me to, hopefully, work the dipper stick and boom to where I can more easily lift and free them.

But, since I have the swing cylinder lines disconnected, I worry that there may be serious leakage past the control valves for the swing cylinders, or some other danger I am unaware of, when connecting hydraulic pressure to the H.

Cleaning up a mess is one thing, blowing out those valves is quite another. Suggestions?

/ B21 BH (BT751) Moving while off tractor #2  
Slinging is an option, but keeping the mast assembly from falling is going to be the trick.

Hooking it up to the tractor and using the hydraulics to manipulate the boom and dipper will not harm anything. You will have to still block up the mast somehow when you disconnect the tractor if you do disconnect it.
it is easier if you can to leave the tractor hooked up while resealing the boom cylinder.

/ B21 BH (BT751) Moving while off tractor
Slinging is an option, but keeping the mast assembly from falling is going to be the trick.

Hooking it up to the tractor and using the hydraulics to manipulate the boom and dipper will not harm anything. You will have to still block up the mast somehow when you disconnect the tractor if you do disconnect it.
it is easier if you can to leave the tractor hooked up while resealing the boom cylinder.
It's a thought. I have the BH main frame blocked up pretty well and the stabilizers are out, so not too worried about that tipping.

I may hook it up again just so I can remove the bucket, which will also make manipulating the boom easier manually. Since it was curled to take off the BH, now I can't get it high enough to get at the bucket attachment bolts.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
Forgot to update this, as if it really matters.

Short story, job complete and seems to work well, less "slop", and seems to dig better, but occasionally hear a "screetch" when swinging the boom almost all the way to the right.

I did change some bushings in the cylinder ends, the pivot pin "bushes" and one pivot pin, and lubricated everything with Schaeffers 238 during assembly and before actual use.

It was "fun" working all those heavy bits back into alignment with the backyard gear I was using.

Gave it and me quite a workout digging out some big (to me) tree stumps (60 inch across). I thought getting the big one free would be the hard part. It was harder to get it out of the hole, as the machine kept lifting one wheel or another, depending on how I attacked the thing. Ended up rigging chains and a wire come along to hold it in place while inching it out with the backhoe.
Now to decide what to do with the root ball and how to best fill the hole it left.

Yeah, "Short story" he said. Right.

/ B21 BH (BT751) Moving while off tractor #5  
Glad you got it fixed and tight again - curious how many hours are on your machine? Mine has 720 on it now in 22 years, and it's still pretty tight - just the bucket has a bit of play.

I've got to do the seals in one stabilizer, and one swing cylinder when I get around to it as the leaks are minor, Other than normal maintenance, a FEL cylinder rebuild a fan belt and battery are the only repairs since new.

Glad you got it fixed and tight again - curious how many hours are on your machine? Mine has 720 on it now in 22 years, and it's still pretty tight - just the bucket has a bit of play.

I've got to do the seals in one stabilizer, and one swing cylinder when I get around to it as the leaks are minor, Other than normal maintenance, a FEL cylinder rebuild a fan belt and battery are the only repairs since new.

1050 hours. Had just around 800 when I got it. In service 2006 per Kubota. Mostly been leaky hoses and seals deteriorating from age and weather no major issues. Did replace one injector line I could not get to stop dripping and a couple of hard lines that got mashed one way or another.

I changed some of those bushings and the one pin "just because". Wear was within specs and "some but not much" according to one AG equipment rebuilder I asked for advice.

As turns out I found two set screws in the swing frame, that hold the two "pivot" pins, were backed half way out which may have let things move around a bit. Put some locktite on those when they went back in. I also replaced the lower grease fitting, in the in one I replaced, with a 45 degree fitting, which makes greasing that pin a lot easier.

To my thinking, just do both swing cylinders, as much of a hassle as it is to get that mess out of there. I may have mentioned earlier that the 4 bolts holding the securing bar were ALL cross threaded, apparently from the factory. OR were just over torqued and galled on the way out. Luckily they only threaded in a half inch or so, managed to clean up those threads and got some longer bolts to go into good threads. Seems good so far.

The BT751 BH seems to have all UNC rather than Metric hardware.

Last edited:
   / B21 BH (BT751) Moving while off tractor #7  
Forgot to update this, as if it really matters…

…Now to decide what to do with the root ball and how to best fill the hole it left.

What has worked for me in the past with a large root ball was to dig the hole bigger, and shove the root ball back in and bury it…

What has worked for me in the past with a large root ball was to dig the hole bigger, and shove the root ball back in and bury it…

Certainly a thought. That might not work here as it may, or may not, be in the path with where a foundation footing/wall will be. Maybe, someday. Which, of course, partly solves the "how to fill it question".

But right now, it's a problem for continued clearing work. Which it was before, only now, different.

/ B21 BH (BT751) Moving while off tractor #9  
Joea99,

Understand your conundrum, with what might be in the future with walls/construction each situation is different. We had 12-15 trees (30-50" at base) blow down here in 2006 and I ground the stumps (pine) and they are still not causing issue. Same two years ago had 10 40-60" pines and hardwood removed - I ground those stumps too.

When we cleared two acres in 2008 after the blow down left a mangled mess in the woods, had a 20T excavator with operator pluck the stumps for a week and had them hauled away- a $6K total bill for the removal and trucking, but then it took rest of the summer to pick rocks, clear the root debris, and multiple truckloads of fill and loam to create a decent field.

Bottom line, I prefer to grind them if they are in the lawn and not in a building area.

Joea99,

Understand your conundrum, with what might be in the future with walls/construction each situation is different. We had 12-15 trees (30-50" at base) blow down here in 2006 and I ground the stumps (pine) and they are still not causing issue. Same two years ago had 10 40-60" pines and hardwood removed - I ground those stumps too.

When we cleared two acres in 2008 after the blow down left a mangled mess in the woods, had a 20T excavator with operator pluck the stumps for a week and had them hauled away- a $6K total bill for the removal and trucking, but then it took rest of the summer to pick rocks, clear the root debris, and multiple truckloads of fill and loam to create a decent field.

Bottom line, I prefer to grind them if they are in the lawn and not in a building area.

My first thought was to grind them. Even considered a 3pt grinder, Woodland mills or Baumalight, but besides the cost, some say grinders are very hard on smaller machines. At the speed I can work these days, rental does not seem feasible. And, I have the ripper.