Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA)

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #31  
interesting that your welder chose to lengthen the cylinder end. I lengthened the rod end to keep the hoses shorter and tucked into the left side.

we must have the same cylinder. My bolts came loose after a few months. got lucky and spotted them before they fell out so definitely worth checking.

I really love that setup. totally plug and play and no mods to the levers so you can revert back to stock when you sell and the 8" stroke is just right.
After all that time without it I feel like a king now when I make a switch. Wish I would have done it years ago.

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #32  
lol, as careful as I am James there was one time I missed the pin engaging at all and I was standing right over it manually operating the lever. Didn't realize it until I curled the bucket in the woods and it half fell off. Let's just say I'm a whole lot more attentive now.

I installed 3 rear remotes and plumbed one of them to ssqa

View attachment 779082

My plan was to used an electric diverter to select the grapple or the ssqa but after reading your post the ball valves sound perfectly adequate. Are they tied together (one handle)?

I’d like to see photos of the setup for those who have either used a electric or manual (ball) diverter valve so that they can still utilize the third function (for grapple etc), and also the QA, without swapping hose connections.

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #33  
I used two tees and two ball valves on my setup.

remove quick connect on third function , install tee, re-install quick connect. connect tee to valves then from valves to ssqa cylinder. when valves are closed, third function works normally. when valves are open third function works but also moves the ssqa latches so you have to be careful. to get just the latches to move you need to disconnect whatever is hooked to your third function . I close the valves as I get out to hook up the hoses on my grapple.

pics are in fallon's thread I posted a link somewhere in this thread

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #35  

I had just mentioned hydraulic and electric SSQA on GTT yesterday, or maybe the day before, so that's an amusing coincidence that Courtney puts a video up about them today. In general I prefer JDQA, but the minute you can automate the SSQA it becomes the better option.

One day I'm definitely going down this route, when it's something I can justify; I hate that about 1/3 of the time the SSQA handles will just move when I'm between attached implements. Now I've got to get off, reposition them, get back on, then get off to lock it into place.

The struggles of modern life are real. 🤣

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #36  
I feel like I have to update this thread. I just bent the two rods that link the levers to the ssqa pins. the ones with the springs over them. They are 131 USD each so one more reason to grease those ssqa pins as often as you can. Luckily they still work. I just took the pins out and cleaned out the holes and the pins and greased them up real good and they work.

I do not have a relief valve in my hydraulic setup and I also don't have a restrictor. I think more regular greasing would have probably solved the problem. When the hydraulics are doing the work you don't notice when they get stiff. as a side note. a little bit of silicone spray on the pivot points on the levers makes almost as much difference as greasing the pins when cycling the levers manually.

People with an electric actuator probably don't have enough force to bend the rods.

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA)
Thanks for the update! Not having any real hydraulic experience other than putting in 3 rear remotes and a TNT I was heistant to use hydraulic cllinders to move the ssqa arms. I spoke to a local tractor mechanic to get cylinder suggestions and he discouraged me. In his words, "if something jambs, that cylinder is going to keep pushing, hard".
My electric is still chugging along, no problems yet but I do grease everything as part of the 10hr fel service.

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #38  
I do grease the pins regularly and it was an easy fix. I haven't even straigthened them. I really think the fact that you aren't actuating the levers your self really changes how you perceive the greasing interval. Plus I just finished spreading 31 tons of gravel so I'm sure some of that found its way into the pins and made them a little stiffer.

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #39  
Thanks for the update! Not having any real hydraulic experience other than putting in 3 rear remotes and a TNT I was heistant to use hydraulic cllinders to move the ssqa arms. I spoke to a local tractor mechanic to get cylinder suggestions and he discouraged me. In his words, "if something jambs, that cylinder is going to keep pushing, hard".
My electric is still chugging along, no problems yet but I do grease everything as part of the 10hr fel service.
PSI (2,500ish for tractors) times square inches of piston surface = force. For a 2" bore cylinder thats 4 square inches & 10,000lbs of force. I've got a 1" bore cylinder with a 5/8" rod for my build. 0.785 square inches & just under 2,000lbs of force. I got the small cylinder to minimize the force. You could also put in a crossover relief valve to lower the max pressure even more.

The lever arms on the SSQA also multiply the force. I haven't measured anything, but im guessing a factor of 5 maybe. So pushing with 50-100lbs is going to exert 250-500lbs of force sideways at the pivot, maybe. Hydraulics are stronger by a few times, but I have to lean on the SSQA handles at times.I occasionally have to reposition the loader so I can put more weight onto the handles as well, so maybe over 100lbs briefly.

Diverter valve is installed now. Next I just need to figure out the mounting for my cylinder & get hose made.

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #40  
I think my cylinder is the same size 1". My clue that something was wrong was that only one handle would move when I actuated the cylinder and I don't even know when the pins actually got bent. I only got to looking at the mechanism when only the one handle moved. and even then I disconnected the cylinder and the handles could move by hand but I could tell there was a little resistance to movement when the pins where at the top of the stroke, open position.