Auto darkening welding helmet for $35 on Ebay

/ Auto darkening welding helmet for $35 on Ebay
I posted this thread and I'm glad it's got good discussion. Some info on my helmet: it darkensa and lightens instantaneously, and the adjustment for darkness is on the outside, AND it came with three AAA batteries, making this a good deal, from what I'm hearing. It is also solar powered, but don't ask me what the heck for? Or maybe that's just the solar panels to trigger the darkening? Oh, yeah, which reminds me of the weakness of this helmet: a noticeable lack of instructions and documentation.

/ Auto darkening welding helmet for $35 on Ebay #22  
Hey - I had time today to put batteries in and try my auto darkining welding helmet, and what a sweet treat that was!
Before I always held the old helmet with one hand and the rod holder in the other while I peered at the work from the side and brought the rod near the work and quick shifted the helmet in front of my eyes while striking the arc. I was pretty used to doing it that way and became proficient at it but now I wish I had one of these auto dark jobs long ago. It darkens and lightens almost instantly and the 6 - 13 darknes range is really nice. While wondering to myself how long this $29.95 outfit might last, a thought occurred to me that the expensive part of the whole thing is the switching lens and they might just be the same ones used in more expensive helmets with the same life expectancy? It is comforting to hope that - even if I don't know the answer.