Auto darkening welding helmet for $35 on Ebay

/ Auto darkening welding helmet for $35 on Ebay #11  
I'm glad you reported favorably on these cheap auto-dark helmits because I just picked one up off the lot from Homier for 29.95 and was worried that I was wasting money. I have not tried it yet cause it needs 4 triple A batteries that didn't come with it (I saw some advertised with solar power for more money but didn't see a big advantage) If I used it every day I would for sure buy a better one but this should do fine if it works as good as yours.

/ Auto darkening welding helmet for $35 on Ebay #12  
Possibly the "solar" ones are recharged by the light of the arc and since you only use it when welding, it is always recharging.. Hope that this makes sense to you...... I know what I mean, but I don't know that I explained it well enough for others to follow...... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Auto darkening welding helmet for $35 on Ebay #13  
Henro do you think that you could send that $200. dollar plus helmet to a few of us TBN members so that we might compare the differences between yours and our el-cheapo helmets for ourselves? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Auto darkening welding helmet for $35 on Ebay #14  
Donman and all,

I, too, picked up one of the Homier specials.

I have used it for two projects now, and overall am satisfied.

A few items.

1. The headband "flip it up" knobs are poor. I have them tightened as far as I dare without stripping, and as long as I don't shake my head or try to walk without taking care to be smooth, it does fine. The headband size adjustment doesn't slip, though, which is a very good feature.

2. The auto shutoff feature is nice to save batteries, but can be off when you want to use it and the on/off led is not easy to see in daylight. Basically, if your view seems a little darkened, the helmet is off. It will be clear unless welding.

3. The reset time from darkened to clear is about 2-3 seconds from when you stop welding. As I've never used an expensive auto darkening helmet, maybe this is faster in them?

4. Beware(be aware) of the location of the sensor on the helmet. If you block it from your weld, the helmet will not darken. I was welding a trailer and was looking and reaching around a piece of angle into a tight spot, and the helment wasn't darkening. I thought it was broken until I realized I was leaning into the work area and had the sensor (about 2" above where I was looking out) "shaded" from the weld. Again, I don't know if other helmets have more sensors or different locations, or if this is a standard and I just suffer from a "new auto helmet guy" learning disability /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Darkening level adjustment knob and on/off switch inconveniently inside helmet, which necessitates taking it off to adjust. Not a big deal, as once you set the level, you pretty much leave it alone.

Adjustable darkening levels is probably the #1 benefit I've found, although alignment and hands-free darkening are a close second. Some of our older, manual helmets are often too dark to see much while welding. I adjusted to just a little lighter and the quality of my bubblegum welding has improved greatly /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I also think I saw some differences between helmets and the response time for darkening when browsing Northern Tools' catalog some time ago.

About the response time: Is the slower time a risk to one's eyesight, or is this just hype to sell more expensive helmets?

-JC

/ Auto darkening welding helmet for $35 on Ebay #15  
Guys

I have the same helmet as Henro, the Jackson Nextgen. I have never used the cheap helmets but I can tell you I like the Nextgen. When I bought mine I was starting a major project that gave me the justification and budget to buy a good helmet and a new plasma cutter. I have been very happy with both purchases because I now use them on other projects all the time. The auto darking feature is great for those quick repeatable welds.

I’m glad to hear that the less expensive models are working well. I have seen welders doing quick welds by just closing their eyes. With an auto darking helmet there is no reason for shortcuts like that.

Eric

One more thing I couldn’t send my helmet out, I use it too much.

/ Auto darkening welding helmet for $35 on Ebay #16  
>3. The reset time from darkened to clear is about 2-3
>seconds from when you stop welding. As I've never used an
>expensive auto darkening helmet, maybe this is faster in them?

DiskDoctr,

The response time on my helmet is nearly instantaneous, both from light->dark and dark->light. If I remember correctly, it's only milliseconds. Slower lightening would only be an incovenience, but if it darkned slower you would risk burning your corneas. I never used one that was slow to lighten.

I understand the difference between the expensive very fast and the less expensive but slightly slower on-switching filters is in how long you can use them in one day before you experience some burn (typicallly causing scratchy, itching eyes). This info is about 5 years old, the last time I bought a helmet. The cheap helmets might be just as fast to turn on these days. Ask your local welding supplier.

BTW, my eye doctor said occasional UV burn from welding light does no permenant damage and should heal in a day. Same as sunburn at the beach - you just thought those dry itchy eyes were from salt, sand and wind!

One caution about the solar cell powered filters - I know of two cases where they quit working when kept in the dark for several months. Sometimes putting them in the sun for a couple of days fixes things. I have to keep mine under a lamp these days if I want it ready for use at any time. I ALWAYS test it by looking through it and waving it in front of a bright ceiling light - if it doesn't switch I don't try to use it.

JKJ

/ Auto darkening welding helmet for $35 on Ebay #17  
<font color="blue"> About the response time: Is the slower time a risk to one's eyesight, or is this just hype to sell more expensive helmets? </font>

My understanding is that the auto darkening helmets give the same protection from UV and IR radiation all the time, whether they go dark or not...so I think it is just hype. You can get flashed, but the effect is similar to looking at a camera flash bulb...

What is important however, is to never use a cracked auto darkening lens. Harmful UV can get through the crack and do damage...

I don't know if a cracked lens would work anymore anyway, but that is a warning that came with my helmet and it seems reasonable.

By the way, the door is always open and refreshments are on tap...but I ain't sending my helmet, tractor or wife anywhere...except maybe to the store for groceries...or something like that... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice try PineRidge... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Auto darkening welding helmet for $35 on Ebay #18  
<font color="blue">By the way, the door is always open and refreshments are on tap...but I ain't sending my helmet, tractor or wife anywhere...except maybe to the store for groceries...or something like that...

Nice try PineRidge...
</font>

Henro you're a smart cookie and I would have been disappointed in you if you would have said anything else. I was just pulling your leg a bit..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Auto darkening welding helmet for $35 on Ebay #19  
JKJ,

It was my understanding that the solar units had batteries (rechargeable?) and the solar part was just supposed to lengthen their charge.

Maybe you can check your good solar helmet and get a replacement battery to make it good as new? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-JC

/ Auto darkening welding helmet for $35 on Ebay #20  
<font color="blue">I was just pulling your leg a bit..... </font>

As I was yours, Pineridge... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Except for the part about the door always being open...and refreshments on tap...of course... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif