ATV, UTV, RTV, I'm confused!!!!!!!

/ ATV, UTV, RTV, I'm confused!!!!!!! #1  

Scotty370

Platinum Member
Tractor
318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"
Ok here's the deal: I've been a member of TBN for almost a year, but never ventured into this discussion board, hanging mostly in Hydraulics, Parts and Repair, Build it yourself etc. I currently have two Kawi ATV's. A 360 Prarie, and a 650? (Son's machine). They're both auto, w/ 4wd High/low range. Sad to say, but we pretty much 'beat the daylights' out of them, working up deer food plots, during the summer, disking, planting, rolling etc. and (hopefully) recovering deer at this time of the hunting season. The 360 is a one cylinder and the 650, a twin. They both have their 'pluses', 360 being nimble and tight turning etc. and 650 for more power. Cons?: 360 one lunger is a finicky devil! Belt service light, etc. 650, no real complaints! I'm looking for buy advice for the 360's replacement, if for nothing else, to get the dependability of the second cylinder! I'm hoping to score a deal, Craigslist etc for a unit that some hunter bought for 3 weeks of hunting, and now wants to unload. What's the RTV, UTV, designation differences? I'm not adverse to looking at a Mule type side by side ride, but know I would suffer lot's on the "agility scale". Saw a cared for 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 on CL for $2900- but missed it! 45 HP??:eek: OK! Bottom line "What shoud I be looking for? Gotta Haves?: 4WD, Auto Trans, Twin Cylinders, ! The rest is up to you guys! Thanks in advance! ~Scotty

/ ATV, UTV, RTV, I'm confused!!!!!!! #2  
UTV is a generic term for a side-by-side. The RTV is a Kubota side-by-side.

ATV's (quads) and UTV's are completely different animals. First there is the speed issue. Unless you buy a RZR (expensive) you're generally not going to run with the quads in a UTV in the wide open. On the trails where speed isn't an issue, you can.

Machine size is another thing. A Polaris Ranger or an RTV900 is about the size of a Honda Civic. This will limit you on narrow trails.

The Rhino, RTV500, Polaris 400 and the Mules aren't much wider than quads.

Basic thing is UTV's are generally work vehicles, ATV's can do some work, but are great for recreational use.

Don't know if I helped or not?

/ ATV, UTV, RTV, I'm confused!!!!!!! #3  
As you know, there are many utility vehicles to choose from. Engine size, belt or hydro driven, bucket or bench seats, some with cabs & doors, some with heaters & A/C, towing capacity, speed, power, solid or dump bed. There are so many questions that has to be asked.
What is you general application going to be ? How fast do you want to run . Will you be pulling a trailer. What about the terrain, dirt, mud, water ?
There are many good machines on the market . Of course, some better in some areas than others.
We use ours on farms, plantations, hunting , deer management .... We work ours hard, and the machine fits our needs perfect .. and we choose the Kubota RTV 900. It is not a fast machine, but built like a tank, strong as a ox, goes anywhere in the swamps down here in Louisiana we need to go. We added several accessories to the machine to " help " with travel like the 589 ITP tires. Which was a big plus for us. We have not yet stuck this machine. Run in water hunting up to the steering wheel. Never have we ever had a problem. This machine is three years old, and plan on it being here many more. And for some reason something happened to this machine, it would be replaced instantly, with another RTV 900.
We have had other utiltiy vehicles, and some done better than others, but, in my opinion, there is nothing like a RTV.
If you are looking for a fast vehicle, don't buy the Kubota, but if you are looking for a dependable unit for your hunting needs, and don't spending the extra dollar, give it a try.

......... two guns

/ ATV, UTV, RTV, I'm confused!!!!!!!
Speed is not an issue, Dependablity is! We work hard..........play hard! The basics we've got covered, plugs.......check.......oil change .........check........ once a year 'go-over.......check. The one cylinder thing ? never again! I frequent a surveyors BB, and have many 'raves' about Polaris. Comments? ~Scotty

/ ATV, UTV, RTV, I'm confused!!!!!!! #5  
Speed is not an issue, Dependablity is! We work hard..........play hard! The basics we've got covered, plugs.......check.......oil change .........check........ once a year 'go-over.......check. The one cylinder thing ? never again! I frequent a surveyors BB, and have many 'raves' about Polaris. Comments? ~Scotty

Well, my neighbor has two Polaris ATV's..They are a blast, and run really well in the woods. Very nice riding and stable. One is an older 2cycle. The new one is a
2-up quad, I think it's 700CC..Very nice machine. A few fixes on both, but all and all good.

My uncle has a Polaris Ranger. It too is a very nice machine. Runs good, very stable and pretty fast. He works his farm with it and is not easy on it at all. Again one or two fixes, but nothing major.

The Ranger is pretty big as I stated before.

The RTV900 is a good work machine if that's what your looking for. It's diesel, so power shouldn't be an issue as long as you dont care about speed. The build on those is something else...Like a tank.

I'm waiting to see the 400 Ranger. Slightly bigger than a quad, but similar to it's big brothers.

if you check one of these out, let us know.

/ ATV, UTV, RTV, I'm confused!!!!!!! #6  
Scotty: I'm shopping too and have pretty much decided on a Kubota RTV but want to look at the Kioti Mechron if they ever come out. I need to do a lot of hauling so the deisel and dump box are big factors for me. It is a different trailering issue though compared to an ATV. If you see one for $3K though, it's a scam (lots lately on CList). Should be a lot of ATV's after hunting season with the number of people switching to UTV's. Weren't you building a stump grinder or something; how'd it turn out?

/ ATV, UTV, RTV, I'm confused!!!!!!! #7  
Okay here is the low down on side by side{UTV}, RTV or ATV. I just got a rhino, WOW what a great all around machine, narrow enough to trail ride but big enough to work with. Oh yeh and supper comfortable. I have been on all types of "all terrain vehicles" they each have their up's and down's. Opinion on brand is up to YOU, WHAT DO YOU WANT/NEED?

IMO the rhino is a great all purpose machine and I'm very happy with it. Now here is the catch for NY state. A machine that is over 70" wide and a weight over 1000lbs CAN NOT be registered. The rhino is 54" wide BUT{catch 22} it weighs 1124lbs :(. To expalin how stupid this law is in this state; You can register a 1500lb machine in PA and it is legal to run in NY, got to love our law makers, hey!

What ever you decide on make sure it is what YOU WANT/NEED! Just cause the other guys brags doesn't mean he knows what you want!

/ ATV, UTV, RTV, I'm confused!!!!!!! #8  
I have a Gator, 4x2 one cylinder. Thought an ATV would be better for its replacement. Had a 500 Buck for two years, and found out I preferred the comfort (getting on/off, ride) of the Gator over the Buck ATV. So sold the Buck and only miss it a little bit. Am liking the 4 wd so will likely make the move to the Gator HPX 4x4. Whatever, for me it has to be green. :) :)
And I have zero complaints about the Gator 4x2 that I've had for 10 years now. Would maybe like a few more hp, and not sure why the 4x4 HPX, other than "just cuz".

And what 20_20 says :)

/ ATV, UTV, RTV, I'm confused!!!!!!!
OK- I've narrowed my choices down a little. I going to stick with the typical ATV Quad as opposed to the Gator/Mule/UTV/RTV. Something like a Honda Rancher or Foreman, Polaris Sportsman, Kawi Prarie, etc. First of all, this won't be a brand new purchase. Maybe something 2-3 years old! Now I'm re-thinking my opposition to the single cylinder. Seems like most of my problems with the 360 Kawi, has been fuel delivery related. I've had to keep the idle screw cranked up during warm-up, and then back it off, which always involved reaching under the tank in the "Hot-Motor-Zone" to make that adjustment! OUCH!:eek: In order to get into a twin, I'm looking at close to 800lbs, and a bigger platform in general. A Foreman weighs in at mid 500#s. Now my question: Are the single cylinder's considerable more reliable, now that the 400cc-650cc units now have Electronic Fuel Injection? Seems like I'd like the lighter, nimble, unit, without the 'finicky' issues of a one-lung carburated set-up! ~TIA ~Scotty

/ ATV, UTV, RTV, I'm confused!!!!!!! #10  
I don't know why you are hung up on twin cylinder ATV's.I have owned Honda,Suzuki,Kawasaki,and Yamahas from 110cc's to 660 cc's ,all single cylinders with no problems.I still own a 1998 Kawasaki 400 Prairie that has 3000 plus miles on it(Liquid cooled),change the oil in the spring and ride it.
The 360 you own is air-cooled,maybe some of your problem.Most of the twin cylinder atv's are high performance machines,tough on gas,lots of power you may not need.
We currently own two 400 prairies,yamaha grizzley(660),kawasaki Teryx.and a Yamaha Rhino(450),only the Teryx is a twin(750) a nice machine but a bear on fuel.:)