ATV Modified Broadcaster

/ ATV Modified Broadcaster #1  

Dan Hunter

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 3720 eHydro
I bought a Field Tuff 125 broadcaster to seed my food plots but couldn't use it as designed. It was meant to hang on the back of an ATV.

A12bSWrCEAL._SL1500_.jpg

My problem is most of my neck is fused so I can't turn my head that much to look backward to monitor distribution and doing so isn't so nice to the remaining discs.

I had bolted the unit to the front of my JD3720 FEL but had to have someone open the bottom trap with the supplied lever mounted on the unit (not particularly safe) and then had it discharging even while turning around (wasteful). I did have a lot of control on how broadly it cast, though, by changing the bucket elevation and tilt. Steering the bucket was also a challenge with the unit so far ahead of the front tires.

This is the ATV platform - a Polaris ACE 900 SP.

MDGC0008.JPG

Sadly, no one makes a front hitch for them. I called several companies and no one was interested in building a 1 1/4" front hitch for them. Sure I could buy a whole bumper assembly that frankly is ugly. Instead, I bought a Warn winch mount and cut it up unrecognizably and then welded a Curt receiver to it. It bolted up to existing holes. Since it the rear mount is higher than my front mount, I shorted the angular strut that elevates the tub above the hitch. Also, you'll see some U-bolts on the unit I added using a couple existing holes then adding a couple others that will allow me to block underneath the tubing and tilt the front end up to increase broadcast width. Finally, I swapped some I-bolts on the unit and ran some rope ratchets to some quick release clamps designed to mount whip antennas; I used one to mount the trap control and motor switch as well.

20190224_102214.jpg

I'll be dropping fertilizer with it in the spring on my bermuda grass lawn and soft red wheat in plots early September. I'm pretty happy how it turned out.

/ ATV Modified Broadcaster #2  
I've stopped on your post several times, wondering if there was a solution. And then it hit me -- maybe all this takes is a little faith.

Have someone watch the distribution as you vary the settings and with their help decide which settings are right for your situations. Then, just go out and spread the seed without looking back and have faith that its acting the same way as in the tests. How much of a problem could it be even if it varies somewhat [which it shouldn't].

I've also heard of people mixing a little flour with their seed so they can see where and how well they are covering the field. in either case, you should be able to use your broadcaster as designed, which is always a good idea.

/ ATV Modified Broadcaster
I put in a 1.5 acre cowpea plot this weekend. For added fun, my 3720 battery died but then it was seven years old. Made a two hour round trip to the JD dealer to replace it. I finished prepping the soil and swapped out the tractor for my Polaris 900 ACE. I broadcast seed first, then 46-0-0 mixed with inoculant, then followed with 13-13-13. It threw a swath about 8' wide - pretty much what I wanted - with good control of the trap following some dry lube. I very much like being able to watch where everything is falling as well as steer the seed on less than straight paths. It's also nice to have the thing in front and be able to hear the material stop and start to hit the distributor as the trap opens and (with the 13-13-13) try to stick requiring some jostling of the trap lever.

In all, it's exactly what I wanted.

Ok, I've given up on the Field Tuff unit. The single cable trap control was OK but the trap quickly jams up and won't push to close. My Moultrie spreader mounted to the front of my Dixon ZTR works great but the trap linkage control wouldn't work so I built a new subframe the fits the front 1 1/4" receiver. It's not quite done but you get the idea. I'm controlling the trap with a linear actuator.

20200806_092154.jpg

/ ATV Modified Broadcaster #5  
Mounted my spreader to 3pt blade using 2 U-bolts 2x4 spacer and long reciever tube.
20141206_122944.jpg

That's wonderful.