Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #31  
I wonder how many kids today know "a day that will live in infamy", without knowing about that to which it applies.

I see that a lot now, I'll be talking about something historic with the kids, and they'll have no idea what I'm talking about until I recite a commonly quoted bit of phrase. Last week, it was the Gettysburg Address. Everyone knew the famous opening line, but no one knew how many years were in a "score", until I pointed the simple math (1863-1776=87) leading them to the answer.
I can say with confidence My kids will know the infamy Roosevelt speech and what it means, and meant to the greatest generation back then.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #32  
When I was a kid, we were taught about WWI and WWII. Can't recall a mention of Korea. And Vietnam was live at the time, so no history yet. I'm guessing it's a generational thing. Heck, the Gulf War was about 30 years ago already. Seems like 10. 9/11 was 22 years ago already.
When we were kids, US History class ended after WWII. This was about 30 years after VJ Day. Modern 'History' courses attempt to teach current events as history. (In 2017, we had to teach up through the ACA). The problem is that you don't have all of the facts. IMHO, history classes before college should not cover events that are less than 50 years old. (Partly due to the secrecy of things less than 50 years old.) History, unlike most subjects, is constantly expanding meaning our kids have to learn more 'stuff' in the same number of classroom hours. Add in the fact that every special interest wants 'their' history taught. We had to cover minor historical figures to be inclusive. This just expands the breadth of what they learn at the expense of depth.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #33  
Well, I'll say this: Was at the office yesterday, and noticed the flag at half staff. Government buildings fly half staff anymore probably 2 or 3 days a week it seems. Boss looked out the window, to make sure it was 1/2. I asked, because if figured it was another random FHP accident some other minor local/state thing. or some other whatever. And they mentioned Pearl Harbor. OK, yep, didn't realize.

So, I'm sure guys 1 generation removed might have it more on their mind, but being 2 generations removed, it's not something you really think about; anymore than older generations could tell you when the USS Maine blow up, or any of that.

Time moves on. 9/11 has gotten to where people kinda forget about it, unless they have the TV on in the morning.

Don't take this the wrong way; but everyone is busy with their own lives, and I don't fault them for forgetting 12/7.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #34  
I can say with confidence My kids will know the infamy Roosevelt speech and what it means, and meant to the greatest generation back then.
But will they know the real reason it was infamous? Roosevelt deliberately got us into that war. Not saying it wouldn't have happened eventually, but he and Wilson both wanted the US involved in world conflicts (against popular opinion at the time) and set things in motion to drum up support. The prevailing theory among historians is that it is highly unlikely Roosevelt was unaware of a pending attack. Gotta give FDR credit, he was a charismatic speaker and people bought his version of events (on multiple topics) even though it was often BS.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #36  
So, had to take a management class (online crap for work), not that I'm really a 'manager'. One of them, mentioned, people are only capable of caring about, roughly 7 things (this is mostly taljing about work priorities, but it applys in life in general). It's simply a matter of priorities. I know its not 100% apples to apples; but the concept is the same. We all have busy lives, and details (like dates) from before we were born (in most cases before our parents were born) just aren't really on the list of priorities. I could tell you, early-mid September was the polish invasion. Julyish 1945, VE day; probably late 1945 VJ day. Of course 11/11/1918 @ 11:11AM is the 'end' of WWI. 1861 to 1865, of coarse, but you want specific dates?

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #37  
Some people can memorize dates with ease, some not so much... I am in the not so much category. For me, with all do respect I couldn't care less when was what, I have limited space in my head so I keep it for important stuff and dates is not one of them, but the how, who's and the why things unfolded a certain way that is important for me and that I remember.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #38  
Every generation needs to choose it's own direction and to fight it's own battles. While WWII was a defining factor of the century, current events are starting to change that.
That’s exactly what I said!

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #39  
I agree with 99% of your post....but with all due respect many countries were allies in taking down the Nazis . And being Dutch I am thankful for all of them , including the substantial help the USA was after 1941. Thanks to all those vets !!
I said “we”, didn’t I?

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #40  
I'm the only one in my neighborhood and mom the only one in her neighborhood still flying the flag...

It was not always this way but all of the vets and older people are gone...

The last time this reversed was 9/11 and every home displayed our flag even if they hard to make one or take the American Flag insert from the newspaper...

Back in high school had English teacher for homeroom and no pledge of allegiance as he said pledging to a piece of cloth is silly... this was the first time experienced anything like that... going to an Oakland As game as a kid it was universal respect for the national anthem.

In more recent times HOA cited individuals for the flag stating prohibition on banners, etc.

For 20 years I had the Newspaper 9/11 flag up on the wall in the Hospital break room...

When I was a kid, we were taught about WWI and WWII. Can't recall a mention of Korea. And Vietnam was live at the time, so no history yet. I'm guessing it's a generational thing. Heck, the Gulf War was about 30 years ago already. Seems like 10. 9/11 was 22 years ago already.

What I do remember was my father putting up his American flag every Pearl Harbor day, among other days the flag was displayed at our house. I still try to honor those days. However, it was dark when I left for work on Dec 7, and I don't put the flag up outside when it's dark.

Thinking of getting a light kit so it can stay up 24/7.