Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #21  
And you wonder “why”?
Why would anyone forget?

We save the world from the oppressive Nazi empire only to see another one on the rise and along with it, the pacification/Neville Chamberlain behavior with it.

Rats like them need to be stomped out of existence, along with their proxies and money sources BEFORE it takes a world war and millions dead to do it.

History just keeps repeating itself because WEAK leadership causes death & destruction.
Every generation needs to choose it's own direction and to fight it's own battles. While WWII was a defining factor of the century, current events are starting to change that.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #22  
Every generation needs to choose it's own direction and to fight it's own battles. While WWII was a defining factor of the century, current events are starting to change that.
Yep.

My Dad was Deployed during WWII for 42 months overseas. While not a frontline Soldier during all that time he had moments.

I was Deployed over a span of 30 years for 42 months overseas. I too had moments.

War is a very personal thing. An incoming round whizzing past a Soldier's head today has the same impact it has since gun powder was perfected.

God Bless all our Soldiers. God Bless all the other country's Soldiers who fought by our side during WWII as well as those fighting with us today.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #23  
I think December 7 had a little more meaning to the some before 9/11.
I think it's hard or impossible to say which "meant" more to Americans, in it's immediate wake. The impact of Pearl Harbor was amplified by the pain of the following four years, whereas the pain most Americans endured in the four years after 9/11 was watching others go to war and kick ass through a television screen. IMO, Pearl Harbor was a horrible attack, but it was a military attack on a military base, versus the civilian attack that was 9/11. Both showed our vulnerability and complacency, the primary gripe against Pearl Harbor being that it occurred with no former declaration of war, while we were in the midst of peace talks with Japan.

I don't think either will be forgotten, as long as there is a US of A, but obviously the personal connections die off after a generation or two. We all still observe Veteran's Day, but how many today treat it as a celebration with picnics and fun, versus the somber day of observance it was meant to be?

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #24  
Gawd I had an individual tell me happy memorial day once. Most folks probably treat it as a 3 day party for the kickoff to summer I don't. Drifting rants over.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #25  
Yep... neighbors were there and parish priest shrapnel wound at Pearl Harbor from attack...

Seems to be fading from remembrance just like VJ and VE day.
My parish priest when I was a kid was an Auswitz survivor, complete with tattoo. Polish guy with a thick accent. Sounded like he was saying 'the Lord Bewitch you'.

When I was still teaching, I made a point of discussing Pearl Harbor Day (with video). Most teachers did not, even in the Social Science dept. :( They covered it briefly in the WWII unit in US History, but that was glossed over by many.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #26  
Gawd I had an individual tell me happy memorial day once. Most folks probably treat it as a 3 day party for the kickoff to summer I don't. Drifting rants over.
Too many people I know think Memorial Day is for anyone who died. Of course, many think it's just the start of summer.

For those of you from elsewhere... Memorial Day is for those who sacrificed all in service to the country. Veterans Day is to honor all who served in the military.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #27  
I wonder how many kids today know "a day that will live in infamy", without knowing about that to which it applies.

I see that a lot now, I'll be talking about something historic with the kids, and they'll have no idea what I'm talking about until I recite a commonly quoted bit of phrase. Last week, it was the Gettysburg Address. Everyone knew the famous opening line, but no one knew how many years were in a "score", until I pointed the simple math (1863-1776=87) leading them to the answer.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #28  
When I was a kid, we were taught about WWI and WWII. Can't recall a mention of Korea. And Vietnam was live at the time, so no history yet. I'm guessing it's a generational thing. Heck, the Gulf War was about 30 years ago already. Seems like 10. 9/11 was 22 years ago already.

What I do remember was my father putting up his American flag every Pearl Harbor day, among other days the flag was displayed at our house. I still try to honor those days. However, it was dark when I left for work on Dec 7, and I don't put the flag up outside when it's dark.

Thinking of getting a light kit so it can stay up 24/7.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #29  
I wonder how many kids today know "a day that will live in infamy", without knowing about that to which it applies.

I see that a lot now, I'll be talking about something historic with the kids, and they'll have no idea what I'm talking about until I recite a commonly quoted bit of phrase. Last week, it was the Gettysburg Address. Everyone knew the famous opening line, but no one knew how many years were in a "score", until I pointed the simple math (1863-1776=87) leading them to the answer.
My grandfather was born just 1 score and 1 year after the Civil War ended.

/ Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 #30  
My dad was in World War II in the artillery. Landed in Sisley then headed up through Italy, and they believe he was in Belgium. By the time it was over.

It is so weird to think how close I am to that conflict. In fact, I was born when the Korean War was still going full tilt.