Athens 2 Disc Plow

/ Athens 2 Disc Plow #1  

MF243RedTop

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 243
Acquired these a good many years ago. Obviously by the pics the 3ph isn't original, it was toast. Fabbed up a new one out of heavy i-beam, they work great.
The bearing in one of the disc is getting loose, I've been thinking about trying to remove the cap on it and see if can be tightened any.
Has anyone worked on something like this and how did you go about it?
I know they can be a Royal PIA to get loose and off,
I know heat is Not my friend on this.
Any parts still available for them if necessary?
I know Athens is still in business but these are old.. very old ..
IMG_20201124_190216258.jpg
IMG_20201124_190147451.jpg
IMG_20201124_190231524.jpg

/ Athens 2 Disc Plow #2  
I can't guarantee my memory from around 50 years ago and am not positive it was the same plow. Mine was definitely an Athens and except for the hitch, looked like yours from what I remember. It was set up to fit on a John Deere M. The wheel trailed on the ground in that application, no 3 pt hitch. One of the caps that went behind the bearing was missing and the AC dealer who sold me the plow ordered a new one with no problem. I think the cap had a male thread and protected the bearing that was held on and tightened with a castle nut. I never needed to adjust mine and never saw the nut or bearing after putting the replacement cap on. I believe the cap had had an ear that took a safety wire which was run through a corresponding hole in the bearing housing and kept it from unscrewing.
Please let me know how well I remembered.

/ Athens 2 Disc Plow #4  
I think the bearings are similar to those on an auto wheel. You could probably take the old one to a bearing house and have them match it up.

/ Athens 2 Disc Plow
I think the cap had a male thread an I believe the cap had had an ear that took a safety wire which was run through a corresponding hole in the bearing housing and kept it from unscrewing.
Please let me know how well I remembered.
Sir I think you are spot on!
When I'm finished with my current project, I'm going to see about getting it off and torquing that nut down a bit. IMG_20201126_115101489.jpg

/ Athens 2 Disc Plow #6  
Sir I think you are spot on!
When I'm finished with my current project, I'm going to see about getting it off and torquing that nut down a bit. View attachment 677865

I've read that, with age memories sometimes mix, and I was afraid I might have been thinking, at least partly about a different plow. The pic of the safety wire made me feel very good. Thanks!
Good luck with your plow.
Stuck

Last edited:
   / Athens 2 Disc Plow #7  
You can make up a 1 or 2 disc plow setup using the Agri Supply Keulavator. They have the discs and attachment hardware to mount the discs. You need a trail wheel or something to keep the discs from swinging the rear end of the tractor though.

I see in the photo that there is a trail wheel.

Ralph