Artemis launch

/ Artemis launch #11  
So far, the Artemus program has proven to be a MASSIVE money pit being over budget several times over.

Years late and billions over budget, NASA’s most powerful rocket finally set for takeoff
What you posted is True. but they have already built most of the parts for I believe 3 missions.
I think so much money has been overspent and over run by Boeing on SLS that all of the future missions will be given to SpaceX if they can get Starship tested and then crew rated.. it wouldn't suprise me if SpaceX builds a human rated capsule for Falcon Heavy in the interim
It was scheduled for a bit after 1:00am. I sat there watching it on hold for about 20 minutes. Tried to stay awake. Did ok. Then I blinked. :ROFLMAO:

I snapped my head up and it was 6 minutes into it's flight already. I missed the launch. :(

So, milk and cookies and off to bed. 🙃
Yeah I managed to stay awake until the TLI burn was finished.

Then slept in late this morning. OOps

/ Artemis launch
Stayed up to watch the launch and orbital insertion burn, recorded it on the DVD just in case I dozed off. Finally made it to bed at 2:40AM, about an hour after my usual bedtime.
Was interesting when they sent the crew out to tighten some packing on a leaky H² valve and got it sealed up. I'm sure it's not easy getting valves and fittings to seal properly at those incredibly low temperatures.
Good job NASA!
On to the Moon!

/ Artemis launch #13  
Stayed up to watch the launch and orbital insertion burn, recorded it on the DVD just in case I dozed off. Finally made it to bed at 2:40AM, about an hour after my usual bedtime.
Was interesting when they sent the crew out to tighten some packing on a leaky H² valve and got it sealed up. I'm sure it's not easy getting valves and fittings to seal properly at those incredibly low temperatures.
Good job NASA!
On to the Moon!
OH YEAH!

Mans long term future is in space.

In honor of "Finally" getting Artemis headed for the Moon a quote from Captain Archer seems appropriate:

We're going to stumble, make mistakes - I'm sure more than a few, before we find our footing. But we're going to learn from those mistakes.

That's what being human is all about.

Actually the lead in to Enterprise seems fitting as well with some video of men and women's forward steps into the future

/ Artemis launch #14  
And what benefit do these supposed "space" launches give us?
"I'd go to the moon in a nanosecond. The problem is, we don't have the technology to do that anymore. We used to, but we destroyed that technology and it is a painful process to build it back again." Astronaut Don Pettit.
nanosecond
Do an Internet search for something like: "How the average citizen has benefited from space programs"

/ Artemis launch #15  
If it weren't for the space program, tang would just be the projection on the blade of a tool such as a knife, by which the blade is held firmly in the handle.

/ Artemis launch
In John F. Kennedy's immortal words,
We choose to go to the moon not because it’s easy, but because it’s hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.

/ Artemis launch #18  
I watched it from my back porch. Kind of neat having Cape Kennedy 40 miles south, I usually get a pretty good view of the 1st stage flightpath (especially at night) & the whole southern horizon glows orange from the flames out of the engine. The Rumble is pretty impressive without being overbearing like it would be if I was closer to the launch pads. Every time I see a launch I think of Neil Armstrong & my whole family gathered in the family room to watch him take that "one small step ..."

/ Artemis launch #19  
Was in Tampa on business so I drove 2.5 hours to Titusville to see the launch in person. Spectacular! Then drove back to Tampa at 3 in the morning. Will sleep well tonight!
IMG_7150.jpeg

Last edited: