Arn't trains related to tractors?

/ Arn't trains related to tractors? #51  
I've done the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge, Mt Washington Cog and the Alaska Railroad, Fairbanks -Anchorage with a stop over at McKinley National Park (as it was called then).

/ Arn't trains related to tractors? #53  
   / Arn't trains related to tractors? #54  
Your video shows a sightly different process that what I've seen. Nonetheless its flux, metal powder (like welding rod) oxidizer and a burning agent. Preheat the rail and get it burning.

Interesting video. I expected someone with a Lincoln Welder to jump in there, but it's a bit more complicated than that it seems.

/ Arn't trains related to tractors? #55  
Last April I took my visiting Aunt to Strahan to specifically ride on the West Coast Wilderness Railway. It is an 'Abt' system for conquering the steep gradients.

(I booked us into the 'full service' carriage = the food was superb! :licking:)

West Coast Wilderness Railway - Wikipedia

Yes, there's a picture of the turntable.

/ Arn't trains related to tractors? #57  
Tractors are becoming more and more like trains.

John Deere loaders now are "hybrids" which are like trains in that they have diesel engines that turn (2) generators, that power electrical motors in each wheel. The hybrid part comes in because they also turn (2) hydraulic pumps for the loader functions. It saves a lot of fuel because the diesel engine operates at one set RPM, not to mention having a lot of longevity.

I am not sure how many types of tractors have this hybrid design, but suspect that over time more skidders, loaders, bulldozers, and possibly even regular tractors; will be diesel engine-ac electrically driven.