Arn't trains related to tractors?

/ Arn't trains related to tractors? #1  

ch1ch2

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH 584, NH TC33DA, NH TN95A
Not sure where to post this.

What country boy doesn't like his tractors and trains?

I have been going all over the U.S. riding vintage trains and vintage train lines. This one is one of the best. I will be going there again this year and will be volunteering my time for a week.
Check it out.

Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad - YouTube

/ Arn't trains related to tractors? #2  
I don't know where to post this either but I worked as a carmen for a few years. All regular gauge.... Still love RR's today.

/ Arn't trains related to tractors? #3  
I like trains and watch a bunch of videos. What I don't quite get is aside from being able to ride in a steam locomotive, what is special about riding in a passenger car pulled by a steam locomotive?

When I was around ten, my Uncle used to bribe German Train Engineers with a pack of cigarettes so I could ride in the locomotive. I got to operate the speed control, and in one case, the guy disappeared to the back for a brief time. I can only imagine if something happened. Ten year old boy from Canada was at the controls!

/ Arn't trains related to tractors? #4  
Not sure where to post this.

What country boy doesn't like his tractors and trains?

I have been going all over the U.S. riding vintage trains and vintage train lines. This one is one of the best. I will be going there again this year and will be volunteering my time for a week.
Check it out.

Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad - YouTube

Very nice. For several years I spent evenings on google earth following rail grades, both active and abandoned, looking for roundhouses and roundhouse foundations all over the U.S. I think I got about 1500 of them last count.

/ Arn't trains related to tractors? #5  
Cumbres and Toltec is on my short list of railroads to visit. The Durango and Silverton is a good one in the same neighborhood in Colorado. I missed the East Broad Top in PA, did not make it there before they shut down. We have the Essex Steam Train and Riverboat in CT which is a nice tourist railroad.

/ Arn't trains related to tractors? #6  
How long has it been since you have ridden on a train? Not only is it nostalgic, and you are reliving a slice of life from 60 or eighty years ago, it actually takes you there in one sense. Our life is mostly filled with automobiles, traffic, asphalt, concrete and noise. You get on one of these old trains, and you go back in time. You get out of town, and there are no cars, trucks, skyscrapers; very little asphalt and concrete and the only noise is the rhythm of the old steam engine. You are moving by virtue of 200 year old technology, and the sense of self and nature is magnified. It seems to satisfy a primeval need that is hard to describe.

I rode trains several times back in the 40's during WWII, when it was a necessity. I was enthralled as a 5 and 6 year old, and nothing brings back that thrill except another ride on another old train. It's been 20 years since I rode a train, that time a 50's diesel, and I am ready to go again on an old steamer.

/ Arn't trains related to tractors?
Very nice. For several years I spent evenings on google earth following rail grades, both active and abandoned, looking for roundhouses and roundhouse foundations all over the U.S. I think I got about 1500 of them last count.

I would have never guessed are that many. I would of guess less than 500. Maybe even 300.
I know there is 1 in Fort Worth and 1 in Grapevine.

/ Arn't trains related to tractors? #10  
I'm from CT and have done the Essex Steam train and riverboat ride many times. I remember going with family, on school and summer camp trips also. Pennsylvania has the Steamtown National Historic site with a short steam train trip and some longer scheduled excursions. PA also has the Strasburg Railroad deep in the Amish countryside and the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum is just across the road. It's quite nice. Maryland has the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad. There are plenty to ride.