Buying Advice Are TYM tractors junk?

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #91  
Yeah, I can go sign on the dotted line right now for a TYM T474HC with a pallet fork and 3rd function, out the door for $34,33.40. I may add a second rear remote. Except for maybe a hydraulic top link, that is pretty much all I want in the base package. Attachments I want to add likely sooner than later will be a grapple and a flail mower.

I guess the Kioti salesman got offended when I told him I thought his price was too steep for the $6,500 difference between the 24.5 HP version and the 39.6 HP version. He has ceased communications with me. :) He did say he came to the tractor world from the automotive industry, so I am guessing an ex used car salesman.

At the risk of repeating myself, in 2022 tractor dealers could sell more new tractors than they could get. The economy is beginning to show signs of slowing both due to the sales season and to a slowing economy, but I don't think tractor dealers are at the point of coming much off retail prices just yet.

My own experience with tractor salesman lately hasn't been that great, either. Some I wonder if they have any sales training at all. One dealer I know locally is from a new car sales background, and it's pretty obvious that he is a car sales professional now selling new tractors.

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #92  
My TYM dealer used the Long components because the kit was 100 cheaper than the OEM and that was what they were used to buying when they were Branson only. The labor was easier for them, both because the TYM needed less work and they knew the kit better. How much did that matter? Who knows?
I hope your dealer didn't mount the solenoid on the front cross member of the loader where any good sized stick could break it.

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #93  
Sometimes, you really do get what you pay for. :rolleyes:
That's true, but how can you tell in advance before you spend your money when the tractors look a lot alike?

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #94  
The opposite question could be asked as well. How are their manufacturing costs different? Is one made any better than the other?
That's not the opposite question at all. Of course different products are made better than others. It's the basis for why there is a cost difference. We aren't talking features, we are talking basic quality.

Anyone who is involved in specifying manufacturing parts and processes will tell you the same thing. Better parts and raw materials cost more. Better processes cost more. Better people cost more. So the finished product costs more and for that additional cost the consurmer can expect it to do the same job longer and with less downtime.

As far as dealer markups I have no real knowledge. I would think that they would all be about the same percentage but that is just a pure guess.

rScotty

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #95  
That's true, but how can you tell in advance before you spend your money when the tractors look a lot alike?
Find a few people with a lot of mechanical experience and ask them for their opinion. Hint: you are more likely to find them back in the shop than on Utube, TBN, or on a sales floor.

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #96  
I have a tym t554 what a pice of crap it’s always having issues it has spent 7 months being repaired for different issues

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #97  
I'm sorry you're stuck with a pile of disappointment. I just looked up your machine and there are always a few at my local TYM dealer; they look out of place next to the newer models, and I can't help but think they're the same machines every time. I wonder if these machines are TYM's red headed step-child?

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #99  
I had my neighbors tym 474 in the shop last week to fix some broken loader bolts. As a cnc machinist and mechanical engineer, I'm VERY glad I bought a massey 1740m instead. It's like comparing an old harbor freight ratchet to a matco ratchet. Yes, they both do the same thing, but the amount of refinement between the components of the two is almost immeasurable.

/ Are TYM tractors junk? #100  
I had my neighbors tym 474 in the shop last week to fix some broken loader bolts. As a cnc machinist and mechanical engineer, I'm VERY glad I bought a massey 1740m instead. It's like comparing an old harbor freight ratchet to a matco ratchet. Yes, they both do the same thing, but the amount of refinement between the components of the two is almost immeasurable.

Nicely said and I completely agree. Starting as a field hand and mechanic's helper I went about as far as is possible in the mechanical trades myself. A good basic design is only the starting point. After that everything depends on refinement.

For examples, take a look at JD's horizontal twin, any single engine airplane, British motorcycles, petroleum products, metals and alloys.

We could go hog wild and add education, warfare, and laws to that list, but then we get into debates.
In mechanical things we can simply watch the steps as a manufacturer makes a good part better.

I wouldn't judge TYM too harshly until they have had time to improve.

rScotty