Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower?

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #21  
I have a Kubota Grand L6060 with a erskine 79" hydraulic snowblower and I find it has plenty of power to blow away all my snow. Can I bog it down? Of coarse, but with a little common sense I can move a whole snow bank with it. A snowblower can require a lot of horse power if you believe you have to go as fast as when plowing. A plow will move the snow faster, but can leave a very large snow bank by the end of the snow season. Resulting in a much smaller driveway or parking lot. A snow blower will be a little slower but at the end of the season your parking lot space is the same. A statement that a 60 hp tractor don't have the balls to run a 84" blower sounds like a knee jerk answer or inexperience.

9r%5AdFsSIeVFVXpC85kIQ.jpg

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #22  
Thread reminds me of Charles Atlas pulling a railroad car by himself. He could pull it for sure but running it down a railroad track at speed.... Don't think so. I plowed the road this morning and while I was plowing I thought to myself, if I was using a blower, I would be here doing this all day. I have better things to do than playing with a blower. Besides, having a rear mount necessitates backing up, I'm a terrible backer upper anyway. Sure, I have rear facing cameras but I still am backing.

I need to get it done and done efficiently and on to other stuff. Besides, the wife had my coffee on.

I will maintain that a big blower on a smaller tractor isn't efficient and while you can do it (Charlie Atlas), it isn't efficient. it is fun to watch that column of snow going 100 feet or so. Been there did that and for me, a plow is a much better alternative. Mu Lucknow is for sale btw.

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #23  
Thread reminds me of Charles Atlas pulling a railroad car by himself. He could pull it for sure but running it down a railroad track at speed.... Don't think so. I plowed the road this morning and while I was plowing I thought to myself, if I was using a blower, I would be here doing this all day. I have better things to do than playing with a blower. Besides, having a rear mount necessitates backing up, I'm a terrible backer upper anyway. Sure, I have rear facing cameras but I still am backing.

I need to get it done and done efficiently and on to other stuff. Besides, the wife had my coffee on.

I will maintain that a big blower on a smaller tractor isn't efficient and while you can do it (Charlie Atlas), it isn't efficient. it is fun to watch that column of snow going 100 feet or so. Been there did that and for me, a plow is a much better alternative. Mu Lucknow is for sale btw.

So would it be faster to use a smaller blower with the same tractor? It seems like the biggest tractor would better utilize the HP. You can go as slow as you need keeping the power output in available levels but you can’t go faster to use all available HP in a lighter snow.

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower?
So would it be faster to use a smaller blower with the same tractor? It seems like the biggest tractor would better utilize the HP. You can go as slow as you need keeping the power output in available levels but you can’t go faster to use all available HP in a lighter snow.

No it wouldn't!

If you had a 200hp tractor running my little 72" blower you couldn't go any faster than I do because the blower only runs at 540 rpm and at that speed it can only process so much volume. The trick is to find the most efficient blower for the tractor and conditions you operate in. When I use this blower there are lots of times the snow starts to build up in front of the blower, even though the tractor is not bogging down. I have to slow down and wait for the blower to catch up. However when I'm blowing really heavy wet stuff I can bog down the tractor. I am talking about my previous 38 PTO hp tractor. I have not yet run the blower on the new 53 PTO hp tractor.

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower?

I think you are missing the point. I also find the plow to be much faster and that is what I use until the time comes that the plow can no longer push the snow off the driveway, as I explained above. At that point it is not about whether the plow is faster or not because the plow can no longer push the snow off the sides of the driveway. It no longer works! Then the ONLY option is to use a blower, for my situation.

My conditions are not the same as yours.

So back to the original question. Anyone with experience running an 80" Pronovost Puma blower?

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #26  

We all agree a plow is faster, it just might not be the right option for everyone. My comment was that I am not sure where you are getting your information that these tractors cannot handle 72" or 84" snowblowers. As said before, many times the blower bogs down, not the tractor.

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #27  
I have an 8' Fisher plow up front and a WoodMaxx SB-84 on the back of my Mahindra 2655 HST Cab with 44 PTO HP and have no issues. You need to look at the snowblower and consider how much volume it is capable of moving. A large diameter impeller with throw the snow further but will also require more power to do so. A deeper impeller throws more volume of snow. You need the right balance. The SB-84 has a 24" impeller and it's 7" deep. You don't want one with a 26" or 28" or bigger diameter and 9" deep or you'll definitely need a lot more HP to run it, the HP curve required is not linear. Be reasonable in what you're trying to do and you'll be fine. I don't know why more people aren't buying the WoodMaxx than all of the more expensive brands. It's built better than others I looked at and it's under $3k new delivered with full hydraulic or electric chute and deflector controls.

I do both plow and snowblow any storm more than 6". I make my first pass with the plow pushing snow from one side toward the middle of the driveway then the return pass is with the blower to get rid of all of it. Seems pretty efficient to do and it puts the snowbank 30 feet off the driveway.

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #28  
Plowing is certainly faster, but that was not the question. The question was not "what's the fastest way to remove snow?" it was "Looking for anyone with experience with [Puma 80" or 84"] blowers and what size tractor you are using it on."

I can't help with the 80" or 84" blower. I can tell you I'm running a Puma 64" on a 2001 NH TC33D with HST (33HP, 26.9 PTO - at least that's what it was 18 years ago when it was new. Who knows what it's putting out now.) It runs the Puma 64" just fine. Is it the fastest way to clear snow? No. When we want fast, my neighbor plows the driveway. When the banks get too deep, or the snow is too deep or heavy to plow efficiently, I take care of it with my snow blower. Given my experience with the Puma 64, I would not hesitate to run a Puma 72". It just happens that a fiend had the 64 for sale used for $500 in good condition.

Provnost's recommendation for the Puma 64" is 18-25 HP I'd agree with that. It's a bit on the small side for what my tractor can handle.

For the Puma 72 they recommend 20 -30 PTO HP

For the Puma 80" they recommend 25-40 PTO HP

For the Puma 84", they recommend 40-75 PTO HP (quite a step up in recommended HP from the 80 to the 84).

Frankly, I'd bet the manufacturer knows what they are talking about when they make their ratings.

I also know that not all snowblowers are created equal. Some are very good at making efficient use of HP. Others are great at chopping up hard-packed, icy, melted and refrozen plow berms. Others excel at throwing snow huge distances (great if you are clearing a big parking lot, often unnecessary if you are clearing a driveway). The various designs all take different HP and/or require different ground speeds to drive the same width blower in a given snow condition.

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #29  
I have an 8' Fisher plow up front and a WoodMaxx SB-84 on the back of my Mahindra 2655 HST Cab with 44 PTO HP and have no issues. You need to look at the snowblower and consider how much volume it is capable of moving. A large diameter impeller with throw the snow further but will also require more power to do so. A deeper impeller throws more volume of snow. You need the right balance. The SB-84 has a 24" impeller and it's 7" deep. You don't want one with a 26" or 28" or bigger diameter and 9" deep or you'll definitely need a lot more HP to run it, the HP curve required is not linear. Be reasonable in what you're trying to do and you'll be fine. I don't know why more people aren't buying the WoodMaxx than all of the more expensive brands. It's built better than others I looked at and it's under $3k new delivered with full hydraulic or electric chute and deflector controls.

I do both plow and snowblow any storm more than 6". I make my first pass with the plow pushing snow from one side toward the middle of the driveway then the return pass is with the blower to get rid of all of it. Seems pretty efficient to do and it puts the snowbank 30 feet off the driveway.

Just curious how you like the electric deflector. I am debating on spending the money for running more hydraulics to the back or an electrical hookup. I've heard people questioning the longevity of the electricals on deflector. Thanks

/ Anyone Using a Puma 80" or 84" Snow Blower? #30  
I totally disagree that 53 pto hp can't run a 80" blower
Had a great long reply typed and it disappeared so you get a short version
I run a 74 inch rear pull with 35 pto hp and can go max speed b range in up to about 5 inches ,uphill speed does drop a bit. There are many commercial services using an l6060 with good results, usually they are going to that size for congested areas.
In my experience i get a better result in less time than with a rear blade ( front blade would be better than rear but i don't have one)

The difference comes in the lack of spill , slumpage back into the cleared area and the eliminating of moving the snow more than once. Oddly shaped and congested areas really favor the blower as they are tough to blade and the piles take up space etc.

I believe that there may be significant differences in efficiency in both the blower itself and the drivetrain which may explain the difference in perception

in my case plow only would be a pain as we rarely get huge snows but normally get many days of small to moderate snowfall. the blower saves time in eliminating the need to move back piles over my .6 mile road and 5 associated drives and pullouts

Plowing is certainly faster, but that was not the question. The question was not "what's the fastest way to remove snow?" it was "Looking for anyone with experience with [Puma 80" or 84"] blowers and what size tractor you are using it on."

I can't help with the 80" or 84" blower. I can tell you I'm running a Puma 64" on a 2001 NH TC33D with HST (33HP, 26.9 PTO - at least that's what it was 18 years ago when it was new. Who knows what it's putting out now.) It runs the Puma 64" just fine. Is it the fastest way to clear snow? No. When we want fast, my neighbor plows the driveway. When the banks get too deep, or the snow is too deep or heavy to plow efficiently, I take care of it with my snow blower. Given my experience with the Puma 64, I would not hesitate to run a Puma 72". It just happens that a fiend had the 64 for sale used for $500 in good condition.

Provnost's recommendation for the Puma 64" is 18-25 HP I'd agree with that. It's a bit on the small side for what my tractor can handle.

For the Puma 72 they recommend 20 -30 PTO HP

For the Puma 80" they recommend 25-40 PTO HP

For the Puma 84", they recommend 40-75 PTO HP (quite a step up in recommended HP from the 80 to the 84).

Frankly, I'd bet the manufacturer knows what they are talking about when they make their ratings.

I also know that not all snowblowers are created equal. Some are very good at making efficient use of HP. Others are great at chopping up hard-packed, icy, melted and refrozen plow berms. Others excel at throwing snow huge distances (great if you are clearing a big parking lot, often unnecessary if you are clearing a driveway). The various designs all take different HP and/or require different ground speeds to drive the same width blower in a given snow condition.

Last edited: