Anyone used a tiller to remove topsoil for driveway?

/ Anyone used a tiller to remove topsoil for driveway? #1  

ShowroomShine

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Case IH 55A
Have a 750’ ish driveway to put in at my property in the Virginia mountains through a grassy pasture. Instead of using a skid steer or excavator to strip top 3-4” of topsoil for the driveway I was thinking of just using my tiller to fill up the first 3-4” of topsoil and then the bucket on the tractor to scrape away the tiller soil.

Thoughts on this method? Seems faster and more precise than cutting in with a track loader maybe.

/ Anyone used a tiller to remove topsoil for driveway? #2  
Be sure you have some sort of depth control. Going to deep can create a lot of extra work fast. Other that that it can work well. Done it more than a few times.

/ Anyone used a tiller to remove topsoil for driveway? #3  
I’m planning on doing the same for our driveway extension. Approx 150’
It’ll give me some nice topsoil to use around the building we are putting up.

I’m thinking 4” deep approx 11’ wide.
I’ll put down the road fabric then 4” of 2” stone followed by 2” of 3/4”- I believe it’s called.

/ Anyone used a tiller to remove topsoil for driveway? #4  
Been there....done that.........It was especially nice to have that topsoil piled up for later use.

But ....750 feet is going to be a lot of work and a lot of topsoil.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Anyone used a tiller to remove topsoil for driveway? #5  
Works great.
I dug our driveway and my sons driveway tilling it first.

/ Anyone used a tiller to remove topsoil for driveway? #6  
That’s how I cut driveways. It makes it easier to cut off an even amount and it makes the removed topsoil more usable.

/ Anyone used a tiller to remove topsoil for driveway? #7  
I need to start planning driveway for my VA land.

/ Anyone used a tiller to remove topsoil for driveway? #8  
I've done that many times to remove topsoil. Works fine

/ Anyone used a tiller to remove topsoil for driveway? #9  
If I had access to a track machine like an excavator or crawler loader I'd use it as the goto instead of a tractor loader. If you only have the tractor loader and tiller then go for it.

/ Anyone used a tiller to remove topsoil for driveway? #10  
Yup, I do driveways and barn pads like that. Works great as mentioned and a good way to control depth.

When doing a drive.....I like to scoop the dirt the width of the drive....not the length. and/or use the blade on an angle to windrow the dirt to the edges of whats tilled. Once stone is placed and driveway built up.....I use the topsoil and spread back along the edges of the driveway giving a gentle taper away.