Anyone reload 12ga anymore

/ Anyone reload 12ga anymore #21  
Also, that same argument works for 223. Can you beat my reloading prices with the best sale price 55gr FMJs? Probably, but I can load some 50gr GMX or 75gr BTHP for just a couple cents more than the sale price 55gr FMJs. What's a factory box of 50gr VMAX 223 ammo cost. vs handloaded?

9mm; the price to reload 124gr Hornady XTPs is only about $0.10/rnd more than the cheapest 124 gr FMJ; but to buy the factory ammo, wr are talking a swing of $12/50 to $25/20...

/ Anyone reload 12ga anymore #22  
I used to like reloading with a game on the TV if it was foul weather or at night.

Those times have been replaced by filling out forms and doing nonsense paperwork, book keeping and record filing for all the agencies now monitoring my business.

/ Anyone reload 12ga anymore #23  
I get the reloading for quality/accuracy.

I reload .223 for that reason, and used to when I had a .22-250. Precision loads.

But it's a freaking shotgun I'm busting some clays with...lol

Buying 1-1/8oz loads of #8 shot.....not sure what difference I'd ever see in a handload??

I agree with you. Reloaded 12 gauge target loads are meant to go bang and eject the shot. They're not loaded for precision. The only reason to reload target loads would be to save money, and I don't think I could save money on them anymore.

The discussions about trying "different" loads or experimenting don't really apply to clay target sports. If you're shooting at a "club", they'll insist that you use TARGET loads only -- for safety. You can't use heavy loads and shot is usually limited to #7 - 9. So there's no rationale to handload TARGET loads from that standpoint.

I don't know if it makes sense to keep my reloading equipment or not. If it becomes IMPOSSIBLE to find ammo, it will probably also be impossible to find components.

/ Anyone reload 12ga anymore #24  
The only shells I reload are 28 gauge, which is a real money saver. I shoot sporting clays with my little BPS. My problem has been finding primers.

/ Anyone reload 12ga anymore #25  
It really depends. Target loads for competition are reloaded to meet the specific needs of the shooter. My uncle was a pro trap guy. He made all of his own with precisely the amount of powder he wanted. When shooting doubles, he had a lighter load for the first shot.

/ Anyone reload 12ga anymore #26  
I picked up some LPPs, and a HF hole punch kit, to try loading some Brass 410 shells. Load Data with 410 brass is not existent, but it looks like 13.5gr W296, and 11/16 oz of shot should be a safe load. Got a tuberwarw bowl of #7.5 shot, but probably should get some #6. 9 y/o daughter lives squirrel hunting, and a 4# singleshot 410 is a great way to take them, but literally nobody has 410 ammo, and even if they did, they want $1.25/shot.

/ Anyone reload 12ga anymore #27  
That $1.25 a shot is probably cheaper than those brass hulls you have.

Make sure your daughter picks up those empty brass hulls, lol.

Only brass hulls I dabbled in were 16 ga loaded with real black powder.

/ Anyone reload 12ga anymore #28  
I use 444 Marlin cases to load for my .410, they work just fine and can be used over and over.

Powder, card wad, shot and another card wad with candle wax to seal/hold the top card.

Of course, I'm not shooting trap or anything like that, my loads are just for pest control.

SR

/ Anyone reload 12ga anymore #29  
That $1.25 a shot is probably cheaper than those brass hulls you have.

Make sure your daughter picks up those empty brass hulls, lol.

Only brass hulls I dabbled in were 16 ga loaded with real black powder.
Without a doubt; I think the shells where $40/25, but reviews imply being able to load them 10+ times.

/ Anyone reload 12ga anymore #30  
Paul, you should be able to reload those brass shells indefinitely.

Only real hazards to them are either losing them in the field, or accidentally stepping on one and smashing it.

Other than that you would have to tell me how you managed to shoot one out (as in how many shots it took) as they literally last forever.