Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts?

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #201  
Most LEOs give a much more generous allowance than you'd expect 10-15 mph. Their aim is usually to stop the real fast people or real dangerous drivers. Watch your rear view and look far ahead. Pass and get back in. Get used to where they run radar. And as the speed limit increases the tolerance decreases. If the Limit is 80 don't expect warnings at 90.

As far as signaling your exit from the circle, the ones here are too small to be possible.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #202  
I bet NASCAR drivers have a tough time on traffic circles. They are used to left turn, left turn, left turn ………….

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #203  
Here in New England we call them rotaries, but I've seen the same thing...back in the 80s a lot of them were replaced by multi-way stop intersections, now we're starting to see rotaries make a comeback. I agree that some of them seem way too small, mostly due to lack of available land to make larger ones. Still, they do seem to help traffic flow at busy intersections, though I see how pulling a long trailer might be "interesting".
Ah, that's the name from the past, rotaries, thanks. I grew up in NJ and had to play through a rotary every day going to work. It was pretty common to see the local cops there filling out accident reports.

Your comment is spot on: "due to a lack of land". So rather than build them right or use a more appropriate intersection design for the limited space available, they just shoehorn the rotaries in where they don't belong. Most are great for light traffic situations. That triple abortion I linked to is a nightmare during heavy traffic, especially so for anyone seeing it for the first time!

The one small rotary I drive through the most often has signs saying to use signals, though few people do. I'm curious how an autonomous car will navigate some of these crazier ones and how it will signal (if it does at all).

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #204  
Texas and most state highway patrol, typically won't pull you over unless your doing more than 9mph over posted speed limits on interstates ONLY. This gives passing vehicles on the left, benefit of doubt, that their over speeding is just a temporary situation for passing slower vehicles. Texas DPS will issue tickets for drivers lingering in the left lane on State highways, but will not apply that policy to interstates.

Here in Waco the roundabouts are sort of feared by drivers as an alien traffic structure, and actually show respect to other drivers, safety and proper speeds within the roundabouts, then chaos begins as they exit the roundabout and resume normal driving patterns.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #205  
When I was young, this intersection used to be at grade level. There were 6 RR tracks crossing the north running street, and the same 6 RR tracks crossing the west running street. There was a stoplight at that intersection, as they were both very busy streets. The obvious problems were traffic heading south or east would frequently get stopped by the light, and a train would come. Those 6 tracks are 2 through lines and 4 sidings in a yard. It was brutal. Many, many wrecks from cars just bouncing through up to 12 sets of tracks if you turned north or west, let alone the train issue.

So they built a huge hill south of the intersection, bridges over the tracks on the north and west roads, curved the approaches, and put a stoplight at the top of the hill. That lasted about 15 years. Then they put in this roundabout. I love it!

View attachment 714955

Went through there a couple of weeks ago. Last time I was there, it was still the four way traffic light.
Nice!

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #206  
Went through there a couple of weeks ago. Last time I was there, it was still the four way traffic light.
Nice!
It's at the corner of Sample and Olive. Hence, the locals call it Mt. Olive.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #207  
Most help, some are just bad.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #208  
In my town, the traffic can back up in some directions, during busy times because drivers don't signal their intention to exit the circle.

Since drivers are required to yield to drivers already in the circle, it leaves vehicles waiting to enter while all the traffic on the circle clears, rather than a continuous flow of traffic on and off. (The whole point off the circle is to keep traffic moving). Waiting, mostly to find out the long progression of vehicles on the circle, were almost all exiting, and the waitee could have been on their way had any of the traffic exiting, signaled. Hence the back up.

You may as well have a 4 way stop then, at least each direction gets a turn, rather than only the busiest direction.

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #209  
Love roundabouts! The best one I ever saw was in Switzerland by the Zurich airport. It was under a huge clear span bridge that carried a 4 lane highway overhead. The on/off ramps of the highway were incorporated into the roundabout and it was smooth and seamless. Like the one on "The Bee Movie."

/ Anyone like traffic circles-roundabouts? #210  
the waitee could have been on their way had any of the traffic exiting, signaled. Hence the back up.

You may as well have a 4 way stop then, at least each direction gets a turn, rather than only the busiest direction.
The waitee could also just grow a pair and launch into the circle. If the car they are waiting for is still back before the prior exit, then they theoretically have all the space and time then need to just get into the circle without getting hit.