Anyone in the market for a 3215HST?

/ Anyone in the market for a 3215HST? #21  
dougster, there's always satellite i'net, if you don't mind steep prices and a lag in the response time. also, if wimax ever rolls out or broad band over powerlines becomes wide spread you'd be covered, assuming, of course, you had powerlines for the latter.

/ Anyone in the market for a 3215HST? #22  
dfkrug:
You must be in my old stomping grounds: the Santa Cruz Mountains. We had a nice place above Scotts Valley that was destroyed in the '89 quake. We're now settled on a beautiful site 'bout 2 hours north, not in a quake zone. We suffered with satellite internet for a couple of years, but we finally got DSL last year, and this is in a valley of about 2,000 homes and 5,000 people. So there's hope for you, yet.

Can't say I miss riding tractor on those hills -- too many very scary moments. Much easier on our board-flat plot now.

/ Anyone in the market for a 3215HST? #23  
Cacinok said:
dougster, there's always satellite i'net, if you don't mind steep prices and a lag in the response time. also, if wimax ever rolls out or broad band over powerlines becomes wide spread you'd be covered, assuming, of course, you had powerlines for the latter.
I still think widespread deployment of Internet over power lines is a ways off... but lots of the properties we're looking at do not have power yet. Some would definitely require diesel gens (probably with cogeneration) and some level of solar/wind power... all feeding batteries and inverters.

You pay big for that level of peace, quiet and privacy! :)

Dougster

p.s., anyone found me another 3215HST yet??? -d

/ Anyone in the market for a 3215HST? #24  
NorCalMatt said:
dfkrug:
You must be in my old stomping grounds: the Santa Cruz Mountains. We had a nice place above Scotts Valley that was destroyed in the '89 quake. We're now settled on a beautiful site 'bout 2 hours north, not in a quake zone. We suffered with satellite internet for a couple of years, but we finally got DSL last year, and this is in a valley of about 2,000 homes and 5,000 people. So there's hope for you, yet.

Can't say I miss riding tractor on those hills -- too many very scary moments. Much easier on our board-flat plot now.

Yes we are in the Sta Cruz Mtns, not far from Los Gatos. The redwood and
doug fir forest is great and I would not trade it for better internet access. I
never spoiled myself w/ broadband before I finished bldg the house.
The steep slopes can be scary....that is why our tractors need to have
4WD and HST. I DO hope Verizon brings DSL here eventually.

/ Anyone in the market for a 3215HST? #25  
Dougster said:
I still think widespread deployment of Internet over power lines is a ways off... but lots of the properties we're looking at do not have power yet. Some would definitely require diesel gens (probably with cogeneration) and some level of solar/wind power... all feeding batteries and inverters.

You pay big for that level of peace, quiet and privacy! :)

Dougster

p.s., anyone found me another 3215HST yet??? -d
when i looked into it, a few years ago, one of the power co's in the NE was testing broadband over power lines, much to the shagrin of the ham radio operators - i guess it interferes horrendously w/ the radios - but i haven't heard much lately, but i haven't been paying attention either.

when you go looking for your diesel genset, look at listeroid diesels, possibly an interesting old solution to your needs, depending on how much power you need to produce. eventually, i'll probably put up a couple of wind generators as our hillside (hill by OK standards) property almost always has a steady wind.

/ Anyone in the market for a 3215HST? #26  
Cacinok said:
when i looked into it, a few years ago, one of the power co's in the NE was testing broadband over power lines, much to the shagrin of the ham radio operators - i guess it interferes horrendously w/ the radios - but i haven't heard much lately, but i haven't been paying attention either.
The company that I used to work for was heavy into promoting that technology... but it never really caught on. Wish I could tell you that I was an expert in that particular area and could tell you why it was a dud... but I haven't a clue.
Cacinok said:
when you go looking for your diesel genset, look at listeroid diesels, possibly an interesting old solution to your needs, depending on how much power you need to produce. eventually, i'll probably put up a couple of wind generators as our hillside (hill by OK standards) property almost always has a steady wind.
I'll take a little more modern microprocessor/computer-controlled power generation & storage technology, thank you! :) The GF would kill me if I told her we had to rely on antiquated (even if somewhat interesting) technology! :eek: I'd end up living up there all alone!!! :(

Dougster

/ Anyone in the market for a 3215HST? #27  
For anti-trust reasons utilities were prevented from offering information services over their transmission systems. Using such wires is not technically infeasible, but probably not needed anymore as utilities have included fiber optic lines in their transmission and distribution lines installed over the last 20 years or so. Their reason for doing so was for "command and control" of the transmission systems, but it just so happened that they only use about 1/100,000,000 of the capacity on those FO lines. It seems obvious they hope to eventually offer commercial service on those FO lines, when and if the anti-trust restriction is removed.

/ Anyone in the market for a 3215HST? #28  
norcalmatt, iirc, the fcc ok'd broadband over powerlines a year or two back. i'm not familiar w/ the antitrust issue you're referring to.

dougster, the listeroid is definitely antiquated, the reason i mention it is that there have been listeroids running, either as power generation or as water pumps, for literally 30 or 40 years, only being shut down for an oil and filter change. but i can see your concern for your g/f objecting.

/ Anyone in the market for a 3215HST? #29  
Cacinok said:
dougster, the listeroid is definitely antiquated, the reason i mention it is that there have been listeroids running, either as power generation or as water pumps, for literally 30 or 40 years, only being shut down for an oil and filter change. but i can see your concern for your g/f objecting.
Oh yeah!!! :D Like you wouldn't believe!!! :D

I promised her automated, redundant, plentiful, quiet, high-quality AC power in the event that we buy property up North described in the listings only as "Good for Campsite"! :) We may end up with fuel cells before this whole NH land thing comes to pass! :rolleyes:

Dougster