Anyone here do wood turning?

/ Anyone here do wood turning?
The nice thing about segmented is that all the pieces can be arranged so that the lathe tool is cutting with the grain rather than across. Cuts like butter with no cross grain tearout!
I will give it a try soon. I’m a little impatient when it comes to gluing up all those pieces😂.
I have a friend who does segmented turnings in Alabama.

/ Anyone here do wood turning? #12  
I will give it a try soon. I’m a little impatient when it comes to gluing up all those pieces.
I have a friend who does segmented turnings in Alabama.

I did a couple segmented pieces a few years ago. I’ve been wanting to glue up a large diameter segmented bowl but I’ve not gotten around to it.
IMG_3605.JPG

/ Anyone here do wood turning? #13  
I built this lathe about 30 years ago for turning out pieces up to 25" diameter including the bowls seen above. It is powered with a DC motor and electronic drive for RPM and reversing. The concrete base adds a lot of stability and the lathe column is hinged so it can pivot 90 degrees onto its back leaving the faceplate horizontal.

Attachments

• FACE-LATHE-1.jpg
    FACE-LATHE-1.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 52
   / Anyone here do wood turning?
I built this lathe about 30 years ago for turning out pieces up to 25" diameter including the bowls seen above. It is powered with a DC motor and electronic drive for RPM and reversing. The concrete base adds a lot of stability and the lathe column is hinged so it can pivot 90 degrees onto its back leaving the faceplate horizontal.
Very nice! I have a friend who built one very similar. I’ll try to get a picture of it.