Anyone have a new 5.0 F150?

/ Anyone have a new 5.0 F150? #1  

joe t

Silver Member
Tractor
1900 Ford
The ecoboost always is mentioned but never hear of the 5.0, the mpg isn't much less.

I've got a 2500hd chevy 6.0L base model regular cab and a dodge cummins quad cab that is pretty nice. Kinda like bombing around in the Chevy and not too worried if it gets scratched up at work, work in construction.

Seeing if I get a long bed F150 it can haul a good bit of weight. They come with a V6 or 5.0.

F150 would get better mpg.

/ Anyone have a new 5.0 F150? #2  
All that I can tell you is the new 5.0 is nothing like the old 5.0.
Sounds like you have a lot of reading to do. Good Luck.
Doug

/ Anyone have a new 5.0 F150? #3  
True, mileage is very similar. Since you have an arsenal of towing vehicles, the 5.0 would be a good fit for hauling and bopping around in. If you need the extra get up and go or towing capacity, get the ecoboost. I choose the ecoboost and would again for my needs and desires. There are only two disadvantages to the ecoboost that I can think of and if either one toggles you, get the 5.0.
1. It cost about a grand more.
2. It has POTENTIAL risk of expensive parts failing.

/ Anyone have a new 5.0 F150? #4  
I've got a 2012 F150 5.0 that I bought new back in May. Very happy so far. Pulled a trailer with a Kubota B3030 cab/loader about 3 1/2 hours from home when I traded it. Had no problems. Also pulled home a 6300+ lb. Bobcat when I bought that. I think this 5.0 has it all over the 5.4's that were in my last 2 trucks.
I'm a Ford guy and have been forever, but I think the Eco is a lot more than $1,000 option. According to this article, it doesn't sound like too good of an investment to me. But like anything else, I'm sure that there are 100 other articles & viewpoints stating otherwise. Only you can decide what's right for you, Joe.

/ Anyone have a new 5.0 F150? #5  
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/255715-2012-ford-f-150-buying.html

I bought a 2012 F-150XL 2wd extra cab long bed with the 5.0 V8 engine a few months ago and I love it. The only negative is that its length makes U turns a challenge. The ride, the power and the space are all amazing. I can go from zero to 80 in seconds. The speed limit is 75 hear and it's hard to stay at that. The truck is so smooth, that I feel like I'm barely moving. There is an amazing amount of power from the start, to freeway speeds and then some.

I just broke 4,000 miles on it and my mileage keeps increasing. The onboard calculator was at 12 when I bought it, and it jumped real quick into the 16 plus range quickly. Now it's slowly climbing and it reads low compared to what I'm calculating from the miles I drove and the amount of gas that I bought. I'm getting 18 mph and the computer is at 17.5 on average.

The bed is deeper then I am used to, which is good for hauling a lot, but tough to reach into and pick up whats laying on the floor of the bed from the sides.

I have the cloth seats and power everything else. The radio sounds great, but I'm not very knowledgeable or concerned wtih music quality. I like talk radio the most.

It tows great and the length adds to the stability

Good luck finding one, the long bed was something that I had to search for with all the features I wanted.

Eddie

/ Anyone have a new 5.0 F150? #6  
I've got a 2012 F150 5.0 that I bought new back in May. Very happy so far. Pulled a trailer with a Kubota B3030 cab/loader about 3 1/2 hours from home when I traded it. Had no problems. Also pulled home a 6300+ lb. Bobcat when I bought that. I think this 5.0 has it all over the 5.4's that were in my last 2 trucks.
I'm a Ford guy and have been forever, but I think the Eco is a lot more than $1,000 option. According to this article, it doesn't sound like too good of an investment to me. But like anything else, I'm sure that there are 100 other articles & viewpoints stating otherwise. Only you can decide what's right for you, Joe.

You linked us to a flawed article. In fact, it was written on a blog called tundraheadquarters. They admitted their mistake and made an update on their blog. Ford F-150 EcoBoost Replacement Cost | Tundra Headquarters Blog

The current cost difference between the 5.0 and the ecoboost is approximately $1000 as I stated. If you use the current combined mileage numbers of 16 mpg for the 5.0 and 17 mpg for the ecoboost, you would burn 368 fewer gallons of gas with the ecoboost in 100,000 miles. I am not saying one should purchase the ecoboost to save money although if someones trades at the 100,000 mile mark they likely will save. Again, I would only purchase the ecoboost if someone needs the added towing capacity or enjoys the extra geddy up and go. You are correct, both engines are winners in my book and perform better than the 5.4 liter.

Last edited:
   / Anyone have a new 5.0 F150?
I've had the chevy for about 6 months and would get rid of it before getting another truck. I'm just too attached to my Dodge to get rid of it. Don't need 2 diesels.

Chevy gets 12mpg. Takes around 2500-3000 in the bed on occasion and doesn't tow more than an F150 could handle.

I'm starting to look, a half ton would be nice, they certainly ride better. Definately need a long bed, wish I could get a long bed crewcab half ton.

/ Anyone have a new 5.0 F150?
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/255715-2012-ford-f-150-buying.html

I bought a 2012 F-150XL 2wd extra cab long bed with the 5.0 V8 engine a few months ago and I love it. The only negative is that its length makes U turns a challenge. The ride, the power and the space are all amazing. I can go from zero to 80 in seconds. The speed limit is 75 hear and it's hard to stay at that. The truck is so smooth, that I feel like I'm barely moving. There is an amazing amount of power from the start, to freeway speeds and then some.

I just broke 4,000 miles on it and my mileage keeps increasing. The onboard calculator was at 12 when I bought it, and it jumped real quick into the 16 plus range quickly. Now it's slowly climbing and it reads low compared to what I'm calculating from the miles I drove and the amount of gas that I bought. I'm getting 18 mph and the computer is at 17.5 on average.

The bed is deeper then I am used to, which is good for hauling a lot, but tough to reach into and pick up whats laying on the floor of the bed from the sides.

I have the cloth seats and power everything else. The radio sounds great, but I'm not very knowledgeable or concerned wtih music quality. I like talk radio the most.

It tows great and the length adds to the stability

Good luck finding one, the long bed was something that I had to search for with all the features I wanted.

Eddie

Sounds like a sweet truck.

/ Anyone have a new 5.0 F150? #9  
You linked us to a flawed article. In fact, it was written on a blog called tundraheadquarters. They admitted their mistake and made an update on their blog. Ford F-150 EcoBoost Replacement Cost | Tundra Headquarters Blog

Hence my disclaimer about differing articles & viewpoints. But I do appreciate you pointing the inaccuracy out to me. Not sure if that particular article would appear on Snopes but maybe I should have made an attempt to find that out. :thumbsup: At least the TundraHQ folks seemed to have fessed up in the link that you provide.
I'm still not sure about the price difference between the Eco and the 5.0. Of course, no documentation to back this up, but for some strange reason the $2500 figure sticks in my head from when I was truck shopping last spring. Maybe it's come down that much for the current model year.

/ Anyone have a new 5.0 F150? #10  
Hence my disclaimer about differing articles & viewpoints. But I do appreciate you pointing the inaccuracy out to me. Not sure if that particular article would appear on Snopes but maybe I should have made an attempt to find that out. :thumbsup: At least the TundraHQ folks seemed to have fessed up in the link that you provide.
I'm still not sure about the price difference between the Eco and the 5.0. Of course, no documentation to back this up, but for some strange reason the $2500 figure sticks in my head from when I was truck shopping last spring. Maybe it's come down that much for the current model year.

When I ordered my dads 2011 Eco Boost it was $600 more than the 5.0 on the FX4 package. I drove both and there is quite a bit of difference.

Chris