Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees?

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #1  

livemusic

Tractor
Mahindra 5010
Water locust thorny trees! I am concerned about getting flats on the Mahinda 5010 tractor while clipping the pasture. Or my truck while riding through! Now and far into the future, but not sure how much the latter is a concern. It's because of what we always called Water Locust trees, incredibly thorny monsters. These things have thousands of thorns several inches long that are like nails, like super big hypodermic needles. If you've never seen one, check the image at the bottom. Growing up on the farm, we had to bushhog the pastures and we'd get flats from these thorns. So, what to do. How do you get rid of these? I could hire a forestry mulcher that has tracks and he could certainly do it. But how long would you need to not drive in that spot!

A couple of years ago in this same pasture, we cut some in the open pasture with a chainsaw and polesaw and carefully stacked every single limb and made brush piles. I am now going to burn those and hope every thorn burns! But I now need to clear a heavily infested spot, dozens of trees to reclaim that part of the pasture. What is the best method is the question. And also how long these thorns can remain a pest. Like, many years before they rot?

These trees are beautiful trees otherwise and make a great conversation topic; I would like to save a couple of the more picturesque ones but I worry about them shedding a limb here and there and... flats. The trees also makes great firewood but dealing with the massive thorn clusters, yikes. I suppose that these trees are cousins of the honey locust tree. I wish they were just black locust or the thornless honey locust variety.

GivenFile

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #2  
...I suppose that these trees are cousins of the honey locust tree...
Maybe the Redheaded stepchild.... Glad I don't have to deal with that!!! Honey Locust is bad enough... I use Roundup or Garlon 4 Ultra to kill what pops up after I mow it down.

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #3  
   / Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #4  
They are horrible trees.

I had to cut down two that had died and it was the biggest pain ever. Cutting was dangerous.

I decided to cut them and burn them in the same spot. Transporting the cut limbs to the burn pile was a no go given the thorns which, as you said, are needles.

It took about 2 years before the area was “safe” enough to mow w/o fear of flats.

I have no great ideas. It’s hard work.

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #5  
We have only a few. Get them while they’re young. Pull them out with the Danuser Intimdator and transport to gully tree digester.

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #6  
Water locust thorny trees! I am concerned about getting flats on the Mahinda 5010 tractor while clipping the pasture. Or my truck while riding through! Now and far into the future, but not sure how much the latter is a concern. It's because of what we always called Water Locust trees, incredibly thorny monsters. These things have thousands of thorns several inches long that are like nails, like super big hypodermic needles. If you've never seen one, check the image at the bottom. Growing up on the farm, we had to bushhog the pastures and we'd get flats from these thorns. So, what to do. How do you get rid of these? I could hire a forestry mulcher that has tracks and he could certainly do it. But how long would you need to not drive in that spot!

A couple of years ago in this same pasture, we cut some in the open pasture with a chainsaw and polesaw and carefully stacked every single limb and made brush piles. I am now going to burn those and hope every thorn burns! But I now need to clear a heavily infested spot, dozens of trees to reclaim that part of the pasture. What is the best method is the question. And also how long these thorns can remain a pest. Like, many years before they rot?

These trees are beautiful trees otherwise and make a great conversation topic; I would like to save a couple of the more picturesque ones but I worry about them shedding a limb here and there and... flats. The trees also makes great firewood but dealing with the massive thorn clusters, yikes. I suppose that these trees are cousins of the honey locust tree. I wish they were just black locust or the thornless honey locust variety.

GivenFile
I've had a few of those when I had a place back in East Texas. I'd end up with flat tires every time I'd even get close to them. Having 15 punctures was not all that unusual. I solved that problem by replacing my front tires with 18 ply airplane recaps. Then it didn't matter if I had air in those tires or not - they were essentially solid tires for my purpose. Sorry - I have no suggetion as to how to get rid of those trees. I got rid of mine by selling the place!

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #7  
I have been fighting that battle for years. The small ones I cut carefully with a chain saw and later burned in a pile. Once they were dry the thorns actually burned up well. Some of the bigger ones I had a track vehicle with a mulcher type mower start at the top and grind them down to the ground. On the foot thick or more and 30 feet tall or more I had a steel track vehicle with a thumb pull/push them out of the ground and put in a pile for burning. Have not burned that group yet. Cut two just under a foot in diameter recently and let them lay where they fell, at the edge out of the way.
I have gotten rid of I think 90% over the years but still a few to go. Some in harder access areas but then I do not get near them with the tractor.
Before that I added heavy duty liners in the tires to end my flats.
All of that cost some $ but the flats were a pain also. Now I am dealing with some invasive trees and hundreds of dead ash trees on 70 plus acres of trees. Good luck.

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #8  
I was about to brag about the few Russian Olives I have. Then I saw that pic. I can easily understand the use of the word "dangerous". Looks like one of those spikes could be driven clear through an arm, hand or leg. No thank you - I'll just keep my Russian Olives and be quiet.

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #9  
I have the same unresolved issues with thorny locusts on my place. I used a pole saw to girdle them a couple of months ago, but left them standing for the time being hoping to think of a better plan. I am avoiding driving my tractor in that area.

I suppose that a forestry mulcher head on a minix could do a better job of grinding them into pieces from the top down than a mulcher on a compact track loader, but don't have any actual proof of that. I had a CTL forestry mulcher go over some other areas. It left behind thorns in places which I attempted to pick up over the winter, but I suspect there are still thorns in places that will cause flats.

/ Anyone ever had to clear thorny Locust trees? #10  
Nasty trees. :eek: If I had those things it would be WAR. Maybe cut and burn and get the neighbor's excavator to rip out whats left?