anyone built a 3pt tree planter

/ anyone built a 3pt tree planter #1  

laurencen

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5600T Kioti CK20, Cat D2 dozer, Cat 420 tractor loader, Deer 644E loader, Bobcat E32 mini and Bobcat 590 skidsteer, Toro Groundsmaster 325D
Hi all, I am in the process of building a tree planter for my CK20, has anyone built a 3PT planter that would work behind this tractor, the ones that are available for rent are too large, I have the wheels and coulter disc, lots of steel just need a design, any ideas would be appreciated

Laurence

/ anyone built a 3pt tree planter #4  
Try " tree-toad" for some ideas ? I have used the hand-cart model and it worked great !

24traileryb7.jpg

click here :
Tree Toad® Tree Transplanters

24-3Point.jpg

/ anyone built a 3pt tree planter #5  
the one I built for CRP trees, was basically a single shank ripper with side shields on it, so one had time to put the tree in the slit created, and then the wheel packed the dirt back, the plastic jug was filled with some sand and worked for a spacer, to space the trees out. on very dry I had some trouble getting it to go deep enough, but on soils with moisture worked well,

Attachments

• alex trees.JPG
    alex trees.JPG
    466.2 KB · Views: 1,884
  • alex trees2.JPG
    alex trees2.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 802
  • alex trees3.JPG
    alex trees3.JPG
    498.6 KB · Views: 859
   / anyone built a 3pt tree planter #6  
here is a picture of the mulch layer for the trees.

the best way I found was to use marking paint to spray a spot on the mulch to show where the trees are, and cut after wards, (many people would be off up to a foot, and even it the mark is off, it usually was consistently off, to cut the "X" opening for the trees in the mulch, and at the same time of the pulling the tree though we would put the staples in.

Attachments

• May24#25.jpg
    May24#25.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 1,074
  • May24#26.jpg
    May24#26.jpg
    591 KB · Views: 824
  • Apr27-07.jpg
    Apr27-07.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 671
  • Apr27-01.jpg
    Apr27-01.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 673
   / anyone built a 3pt tree planter #7  
I like the baby car seat! :D Get the whole family involved!

jb

/ anyone built a 3pt tree planter #8  
It worked well and he was safe, and we knew where he was all the time and he wanted to be with his mom and dad who were helping me. that was a few years ago and to day he (my grandson) helped me plant some replants on one of the later plantings,

for the replants I used a 3" diameter fighting on a 7/16 rod and a 18 volt drill. it digs a nice hole and easy to plant and work with. Very similar to the "bulb planters" one some times sees.

Attachments

• easy_holes.jpg
    easy_holes.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 524
   / anyone built a 3pt tree planter #9  
What size trees and how many are you going to plant? Are you digging them out and relocating them, or buying them ready to plant?

I ask because for just a few trees, and in ones up to five gallon containers, I've had great success with my 12 inch auger. Not just trees, but for shrubs too.

Eddie

/ anyone built a 3pt tree planter #10  
stooner said:
click here :
24-3Point.jpg

your expected to pound those in by hand?

oh lord, in the fall when the ground is rock hard in my area. thanks ill pass

(oh and how do you pull them out when your putting it in its new hole?)