Snow Attachments Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue?

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #21  
You may cut curved sections from old pressure tanks from wells. When the bladder goes the tank is usually replaced.

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue?
You may cut curved sections from old pressure tanks from wells. When the bladder goes the tank is usually replaced.

didn't think of that, I actually have one I was saving for a smoker. I will cut it open and see how thick the metal is. My googling indicates fuel oil tanks are in the 12 to 14 gauge range and propane tanks can be about 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch thick. That would be a lot of extra weight.

So if I went down the center of the road with the v plow and then repeated down the wind rows with just one side of the plow, would that put too much sideways stress on my loader?

It seemed to me that if the entire v frame were laying flat on the ground that it would be unlikely to dig in to the gravel. With the weight distributed over 20 ft of flat bottomed i-beam, it seemed like it should float pretty easily. That's why I was thinking of floating the weight of my loader bucket on top of it. The push bar that my front edge of the bucket locks into, is about 2/3 of the way forward, so my front wheels are actually inside of the plow wings.

Looks like this at this point.

Attachments

• 20190224_232201.jpg
    20190224_232201.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 115
Maybe you could pull it from the 3 point?

That might be more practical. But I am highly resistant to removing my backhoe, I use it constantly. I have all the parts for the three-point, but in 10 years, I have never had the hoe off.

I am very appreciative of everyone's contributions. I think I'm just going to dive in and finish this next month. I will probably use the light gauge barrels I already have for the mold board just as a proof of concept and if everything works the way I want it, I will find some heavier gauge steel later. I will be back later with pictures and performance notes. Thank you again for all your comments.

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #29  
Interesting project. Hope it works.

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #30  
The problem with lightweight materials is them getting damaged & needing to repair them. Much less of a problem if you have the tools to build it in the first place. Then you are just out the time.

The smoother the mouldboard the better. A rough pitted one will have snow or whatever sticking to it rather than properly rolling over itself & off to the side.