Snow Attachments Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue?

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #1  

59 Sons

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M59 tlb
Used mobile home trailer tongues seem to be ubiquitous. In contemplating possible uses, the suggested snow plow comes up regularly. Has anybody ever done it? I'm in the early stages of building one and would like some ideas before proceeding further.
I cut out the hitch and welded the i-beams together at the point, then reinforced the length with cross-welded tube steel. I intend for my tractor bucket to index with a push bar across the top. I reinforced the flimsy I beam with 4x4 angle at the cutting edge. Next step is to create some sort of a scoop edge, maybe sections of tank??
I would like to keep my bucket so that I can drop the v plow and clear out driveways. My bucket will interrupt the scoop, but nothing is perfect. I am thinking of just floating the bucket on top of the plow and letting gravity keep it flat on the ground. I am plowing very uneven rough rock road.
If anyone has tried this, I would be interested in your suggestions. Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191218-195905.png
    Screenshot_20191218-195905.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 284
  • IMG_20191218_195936.jpg
    IMG_20191218_195936.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 271
  • IMG_20191218_200013.jpg
    IMG_20191218_200013.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 242
   / Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue?
Ok ok. I know Y'all are laughing at me. But hey, I aint too proud.

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #3  
......not laughing......but you know a person has to have limits. :laughing:

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #4  
i've figured out you're talking about a snow plow. That often throws me as we hardly ever see one down south. Now, I'm going to look up ubiquitous and if I have anything to add, I'll get back to you.☺

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #5  
It sounds heavy. Floating the loader on gravel doesn't work well with a lighter plow. I'd look at a cheap old truck plow over building your own. V plows are a lot less popular these days. A curved mouldboard is quite a bit more efficient than a flat blade. It rolls material rather than pushes it. Hard to do make that curve without serious equipment.

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #6  
Umbiquitous - found everywhere
I've read that Elliott Ness used a V shaped snow plow mounted on the front of a truck to knock in doors on prohibition raids so it's been done before. The idea of mounting it on the bucket would save some work, if you can pull it off. It'll take some tweaking and I wish you success.

It sounds heavy. Floating the loader on gravel doesn't work well with a lighter plow. I'd look at a cheap old truck plow over building your own. V plows are a lot less popular these days. A curved mouldboard is quite a bit more efficient than a flat blade. It rolls material rather than pushes it. Hard to do make that curve without serious equipment.

Thank you. Now that I know its called a "curved mouldboard"... I was thinking of welding curved sections of tank into the beams. Maybe a scrap propane tank?

I would be interested in suggestions on the minimum thickness for the mold board. it looks like the steel barrels I hoped to use are only 20 gauge, so no go. I don't know how thick fuel oil tanks are, but they are more available than propane tanks.

/ Anyone build a v plow out of a trailer tongue? #10  
Here you go, courtesy of another TBN member.Grandpa's Snowplow.jpg