Anyone been to Saba?

/ Anyone been to Saba? #3  
Just make sure you watch you dive tables, flying effects them in case you overlooked that. ???
I enjoy the Florida Keys, hundreds of miles of water 45' or less.

/ Anyone been to Saba? #4  
Have a great time. I've been several places in the Caribbean, but never Saba. I've heard flying in there is a real adventure. If I remember correctly, it is the shortest commercial runway in the Western Hemisphere. Nothing goes in or out except S.T.O.L.'s. Happy landing. :laughing:

/ Anyone been to Saba? #6  
The issue is not at the beginning of the trip, but at the end. You can dive as soon as you get your gear off the plane, but should not dive the 24 hours before your flight out.

Forget the tables. Get a computer.

/ Anyone been to Saba? #7  
That whole area is wonderful. Great diving there too. Have a blast! We also rented a sailboat down there (St. Martins, Arruba, St. Barts) for two weeks.

Flight waiting advice is right on the money. With the clear water there, it's easy to go down too deep before you know it. Not at Saba but I once was going down, got caught up putting my gloves on, kept popping my ears and hit bottom at 110 feet. Sure didn't look that deep :eek:

Pete

Last edited:
   / Anyone been to Saba?
We fly to St Maartens and then take a puddle jumper.

We have dove in many places in the Carribean (Roatan, Bonaire, Belieze, Barbados, Grand Turk, Little Cayman) and throughout the world: Africa (Mozambique and South Africa), Fiji, Paulu, Saudi Arabia (Red Sea), Socorro Islands (on a live aboard), Cabo San Lucas (Mexico) and in 6 weeks, the Philipines - 172 dives in the last 3 1/2 years.

My wife and I use dive computers which tell us what our no fly time is and we are always cautious (usually 24 hours is safe).

Yesterday I had 9" of snow to blow and today another 9". We have 47" on the ground so this will be a nice change of pace. :)

eepete, Can you use gloves in Saba, since you mentioned gloves? I checked the Saba site and we e-mailed the dive operator but they didn't get back to us. I don't like to take unnecessary equipment.

/ Anyone been to Saba? #9  
The "glove sink" was not at Saba, it was either at Curicau or off Bimini (both probably spelled wrong). It was a ship sunk as a reef dive.

Pete

/ Anyone been to Saba? #10  
My wifes uncle has said that st lucia was a great place to dive. We snorkled there and had a blast. Very nice island.