Anybody here have a Cycle Stop Valve installed above ground?

/ Anybody here have a Cycle Stop Valve installed above ground?
Which "law" might that be ?
They advertise Jet pumps that draw from 100 feet.
They actually push from 100 feet. Water can only be sucked about 33 feet at sea level. That's because the water isn't really sucked but is pushed by air pressure. And really, 25 feet is about the maximum practical limit. Jet pumps pump water down the well through a jet located at the bottom. This jet of water then draws water from the well and pushes it up the pipe. This is why jet pumps must be primed, because they need water to blow through the jet.
Eric

/ Anybody here have a Cycle Stop Valve installed above ground? #12  
Back in the late 50's my uncle had a sand point and
it was only down about 46 feet and he used a surface
pump to pump the water. He had a check valve on the
first 10 ft stick of pipe. I guess they don't make pumps
like they used to.

willy

/ Anybody here have a Cycle Stop Valve installed above ground? #13  
There used to be 2 inch wells around here also, but those are history around here. Submersible pumps are pretty much the only pumps installed now.

/ Anybody here have a Cycle Stop Valve installed above ground? #14  
Back in the late 50's my uncle had a sand point and it was only (way) down about 46 feet and he used a surface pump to pump the water. He had a check valve on the first 10 ft stick of pipe. I guess they don't make pumps like they used to.
A 'surface pump' can draw from any depth if the source/water-table is less than ~33 ft (1 atmosphere) from the pump and the point isn't overdrawn. Otherwise the pump will cavitate and/or no longer draw. Basic fluid dynamics.

I have a 'point' around 45' deep and a shallow well pump. Shallow wells are no longer legal to install here (building codes) but I'm grandfathered and on my 2nd replacement pump in 22 years. The pump is indoors ~50' above the intake ('70s crock well ~50' from 4 ac pond/sand-pit) but the water table is within 10' of the pump vertically.

/ Anybody here have a Cycle Stop Valve installed above ground? #15  
I didn't know where to post this and this forum was the closest. Anyway, I am going to install a Cycle Stop Valve. I have two choices, either down the well casing or in the ground at the same level as the pitless adapter, which is where the water comes out of the well casing. The web site that sells the Cycle Stop Valve states that the valve leaks a little bit of water when operating. If I install the valve after the pitless adapter it will be below ground level about a foot and a half. I could dig below the pipe coming from the pitless adapter and dump in a bunch of gravel to make a dry well. In the winter the dry well would probably be flooded because of the rain we get here just north of Seattle. In the summer the ground is pretty dry here. What I would like to know is how much water really leaks from the valve during operation and if it would be a problem if it was surrounded by saturated dirt. I would like any real world experiences anybody here has. I trust the folks selling the Cycle Stop Valve even though I have not yet bought the valve. They have good reviews, and the guy who just replaced my well pump, pipe, and wiring likes them. But some real world experiences would be great in order for me to choose whether to bury the valve, which seems like it would be easier, or pulling the well pump in order to install the valve inside the well casing.
Thanks,
Eric
"The web site that sells the Cycle Stop Valve states that the valve leaks a little bit of water when operating."

I don't think that the leak is external. It's an internal leak that helps clean the valve seat of dirt, sand, etc. I will be installing one in our new house so it better not leak externally. The one i got has the external adjustment it is not the one that is made for outside use. That one supposedly can vent some water and should not be used inside a house.

Last edited:
   / Anybody here have a Cycle Stop Valve installed above ground? #16  
I didn't know where to post this and this forum was the closest. Anyway, I am going to install a Cycle Stop Valve. I have two choices, either down the well casing or in the ground at the same level as the pitless adapter, which is where the water comes out of the well casing. The web site that sells the Cycle Stop Valve states that the valve leaks a little bit of water when operating. If I install the valve after the pitless adapter it will be below ground level about a foot and a half. I could dig below the pipe coming from the pitless adapter and dump in a bunch of gravel to make a dry well. In the winter the dry well would probably be flooded because of the rain we get here just north of Seattle. In the summer the ground is pretty dry here. What I would like to know is how much water really leaks from the valve during operation and if it would be a problem if it was surrounded by saturated dirt. I would like any real world experiences anybody here has. I trust the folks selling the Cycle Stop Valve even though I have not yet bought the valve. They have good reviews, and the guy who just replaced my well pump, pipe, and wiring likes them. But some real world experiences would be great in order for me to choose whether to bury the valve, which seems like it would be easier, or pulling the well pump in order to install the valve inside the well casing.
Thanks,
Eric

Eric,

I have one installed on a Goulds booster pump in my crawlspace. Works perfectly, with no external leaks.

I am going to install one at my well house to improve well pump performance and longevity.

/ Anybody here have a Cycle Stop Valve installed above ground? #17  
I have one on my 4" 200ft deep well. It is installed above the well head in horizontal position. 1.5in pvc pipe exits well cap goes to a 90 changes to galvanized nipple them the csv then another galvanized nipple then pvc 90 and pipe into the ground and over to the well house. The csv has never leaked externally that I am aware of. I have had to replace the galvanized nipples once already because they started leaking through the threads. 4.5ph water eats galvanized metal quickly. The csv has functioned without issue for 11 years so far.

I have one on my 4" 200ft deep well. It is installed above the well head in horizontal position. 1.5in pvc pipe exits well cap goes to a 90 changes to galvanized nipple them the csv then another galvanized nipple then pvc 90 and pipe into the ground and over to the well house. The csv has never leaked externally that I am aware of. I have had to replace the galvanized nipples once already because they started leaking through the threads. 4.5ph water eats galvanized metal quickly. The csv has functioned without issue for 11 years so far.
Thanks a lot for the reply. Do you know which model you have? Is it the one made from plastic? That's the model I am probably going to buy.
Thanks Again,
Eric

/ Anybody here have a Cycle Stop Valve installed above ground? #19  
Thanks a lot for the reply. Do you know which model you have? Is it the one made from plastic? That's the model I am probably going to buy.
Thanks Again,
Eric
I have a csv2w and I looked and it is 1.25" pipe not 1.5". My well pump does 27gpm at 80psi. It handles the house and irrigation.

I have a csv2w and I looked and it is 1.25" pipe not 1.5". My well pump does 27gpm at 80psi. It handles the house and irrigation.
Thanks Again fuchifarm.
Eric