any toro groundsmaster fans on here?

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #461  
Asymair95, last thing first, it is a forward only overrunning clutch. The full time clutch is cable operated by a lever next to the seat.

First thing last, I can't tell for sure about the decks without a serial number plate, but I know that I wouldn't do the swap, but that is just me.

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #462  
The clutch looked different than ones I had seen on here. It has a grease zerk instead of a plug for gear oil.

The thought of having a brand new deck shell is appealing, particularly considering the price he wants (cheap). Why wouldn’t you do it? Too much of a chance things wouldn’t fit?

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #463  
Yep, saw that zerk. Hope it didn't get greased, I don't think it will work with grease in it.

I wouldn't do the swap, because I am old and lazy and can afford to buy a new or good deck.

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #464  
I was hoping it was a different kind of clutch as it doesn’t look as big around as the gear oil lubed type. You can tell the shaft had broken at some point also because there is a dent in the oil pan.

76A8AE0E-A378-4AD1-98E8-C096D86FDEEE.jpeg

709D02F7-E839-4768-A4CA-DE27DF99BD03.jpeg

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #465  
To me it looks like my 325D one way clutch:

PA230002 one way clutch Fotor.jpg

This is the larger diameter bi-directional clutch on the 328D:

P6090003.JPG

But you triggered something way back in the dark corners of my memory. Seems like there is a kit that eliminates the clutch and hooks the driveshaft directly to the rear differential. Probably not recommended for hard surfaces.

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #466  
Yup, that bottom pic is the one I was thinking of with the gear oil in it. Does your other clutch pictured above have a grease zerk too?

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #467  
Yep, the 325D has the zerk, Rotated the driveshaft and shined the flashlight on it:

PA030001.JPG

Edit: Copied from service manual "Lubricate clutch through grease fitting (Item 32) with No. 2 General Purpose Lithium Grease."

Last edited:
   / any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #468  
Cool thanks.

Has anyone put wider tires on these for better flotation over soft ground? I see 23x10.5x12 was an option for these. Would something wider fit?

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #469  
I was hoping it was a different kind of clutch as it doesn’t look as big around as the gear oil lubed type. You can tell the shaft had broken at some point also because there is a dent in the oil pan.

View attachment 573209

View attachment 573210

Check your rear bushings. They are supposed to be checked every 500 hours IIRC.

Mine were gone. I had to rebuild the steel and have it line bored. There was no way to just drill out the egged out holes and have everything turn out correctly. It's a ton easier to check the bushings & pin and change them as needed.

I don't much care for the bi-directional clutch. Is the a rear differential that could be used for a full time 4x4 with a shifter? I'm guessing it would be pretty hard to come up with something without replacing the whole drive unit.

Maybe mount the deck and snowblower to a GEO Tracker Did they make those in Diesel? - Seems there are a lot of diesel swaps - Or something similar in a diesel.

GEO Tracker diesel - Google Search

We were close to mounting a deck on the front of a 1982 Chevy Cavalier station wagon at one point. Just ran out of time

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #470  
To me it looks like my 325D one way clutch:

View attachment 573224

This is the larger diameter bi-directional clutch on the 328D:

View attachment 573225

But you triggered something way back in the dark corners of my memory. Seems like there is a kit that eliminates the clutch and hooks the driveshaft directly to the rear differential. Probably not recommended for hard surfaces.

If I go through another drive shaft, I may be very interested in making another drive shaft and doing something like this. I made my last drive shaft as opposed to ordering new.

I also made a safety hoop around the drive shaft. If it ever comes loose again, at least the drive shaft will not hurt anything else. The safety hoop on the 1998 325D was actually very easy to make and install. IIRC it only has 4 bolts. - One bolt to the frame on each side and 2 bolts for the hoop half.