Any Pilots Among Members?

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #81  
Yessir. PA-22-150, O-320 @ 720 SMOH, Wms dual toe-brakes, Sullivan tips, alternator, new (me) sealed struts, fully metalized; new interior, new glass. Really pretty solid, overall, and not a bad looker.

Unfortunately, it had been apparently taken care of rather sloppily, with lots of little issues, and some not so little. Recent fine-tooth comb go-over revealed yet more things that need attention. It's been a learning experience for an old wrench-slinger, that's for sure.

Was hoping to be able to use it to visit wife's family, to save the three-day drive (ugh!) to Kirksville & KC area. Seemed like a good idea at the time, as they say. Still hoping to get the bird in the air and get my PPL.

12-2.JPGDSC04416.JPG

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #82  
I carry a glider ticket

they start easy even in hot weather;-)

Carry and A&P ticket in my wallet too. But it's been some years since I turned a wrench on an aircraft.
I went up a couple a weeks ago with a friend in his 172. He got all excited when I banked to catch a thermal ;-)

Both the boys got a multi day flight training when they graduated highschool. Now, both are out of university, with the eldest having a "thing" for the rotor wings.

I "fly" daily on the motorbikes in summer, and the snow skis in winter. No compalaints!

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #83  
Haven't flown for a couple of decades, couple thousand helo hours, and less than thousand as flight instructor in T-34c. Flew CH-46e and instructed in Pensacola (Whiting) before retiring from USMC in 2003. Not very good as a pilot unless I fly regularly, so I've stayed away after retirement for everyone's safety.

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #84  
I try to fly every week, but it doesn't always happen. Last week, my golden retriever and I did our annual Idaho back country camping trip (a bunch of Huskys get together for a few days in the River of No Return wilderness). Only way in is by air or horseback. I took the picture below in the middle of nowhere Nevada. Not a soul for many, many miles:

bumper

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #85  
Bee-yoo-teeful, Bumper!:thumbsup:

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #86  
Bee-yoo-teeful, Bumper!:thumbsup:

x2!! I hate you! LOL!! (seriously, that is gorgeous and I'm so envious!!)

irvingj - Love that Tri-Pacer! Hope you get it in the air soon!!

One more story.... I used to do a lot of "Young Eagle" flights. Some of the kids were interesting in that they thought that flying was the most boring thing they'd done since things seem to be in slo-mo once you're in the air. Even giving them the controls didn't thrill them at all. Other kids thought it was great and I always appreciated the thanks for them. I took the 15 year old son of one of my old clients up one time. He was one of those that didn't really seem to get too excited about it. Several years later (just last year) I got a call from his mother whom I hadn't talked to in a LONG time. She told me that her son was now a helo instructor in Florida and loving it. She said she had just talked to him a few nights earlier and he had said how it was my flight with him that got him interested in doing what he's doing now. That was pretty cool!

Although my two favorite Young Eagle flights both involved young men with Autism. One was pretty severe and was going about 800 mph on the ground and the other pilots were a little (well, a LOT) apprehensive about taking him up. I talked with his grandmother who assured me he would sit still in the cockpit and not touch the controls. He climbed in and she instructed him to fold his hands and not touch anything. His speech was a little hard to understand but when he wanted my attention he would tap me on the shoulder (he was sitting behind me in a Champ) - keeping his hands folded together just like grandma told him too! He was really adept at picking out landmarks and was fascinated by flying circles around the cell towers we passed over. He was good as gold on that flight!! When we landed he got out of the cockpit and went back to moving 800 mph again!! Grandma was in tears with grattitude - I got a little chocked up myself!

The other young man with Autism was a lot more calm. I let him fly (a '46 Cub) for most of the flight and he got a kick out of flying over the Kings Island amusement park north of Cincinnati. I took several photos of him with his hands on the controls and made sure that he got copies of them to show his friends that didn't believe that he'd actually flown a plane. He still talks about that flight!

Sorry guys - I'm rambling again. I really need to get to the airport and go up again!! :)

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #87  
x2!! I hate you! LOL!! (seriously, that is gorgeous and I'm so envious!!)

Sorry guys - I'm rambling again. I really need to get to the airport and go up again!! :)

Rambling is fine! It was in 1954, I was a 9 year old poor immigrant kid living in Duarte, CA. A neighbor asked my mom if he could take me up. It was a rented Cessna 140 and I was just totally blown away . . . all those little ant like people down there!

I put it off for many years, there was always so much that needed my attention and money. When I quit the PD to run my company full time, I had a Mooney poster on the bulletin board, but had to put that off for another 8 years, as the company was all consuming. Finally I realized one of my dreams in '91 when I was 46. Been trying to make up for lost time ever since (grin). At one time I owned 5 aircraft at the same time - - if you do most of your own work, 5 is too many! Here's one of my Schleicher ASH26E (self launch glider, 59' wingspan) over the Carson Valley. (My house is under the cloud just forward of the left wing, up against the mountain.)

bumper (lovin' it)

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #88  
Similar story, I suppose. Took my first ride in a cub, incidentally just about the time my PA-22 rolled out of the factory, in 1956. I was in the third grade and have been hooked ever since. Have flown in a number of different planes (friends'), but never had that ticket. This T-P was supposed to be my ride.

Haven't had it up for a while, but here's what NH looks like in October (and yes, I spent about 1 hr at the controls of that T-6; what a blast!):

DSC04426.JPGDSC04423.JPGDSC04429.JPGDSC04419.JPGT-6.JPG

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #89  
Was about 17 and in the reserve air force based at St Hubert.
My 1st air time was in a Harvard (at6) with PW 450hp.
Pilot was Air Canada type with the 401 reserve and he was out for fun time.
My turn today!
We did about 2 hrs as I recall with about every loop, roll in the book.
About every 5 mins he'd ask how I was doing. (no barf bags!)
That thoroughly hooked me!

2 wks later I was suited up and about to climb aboard a T33 when they called me back because I had not done a decompression chamber G test so my 1st jet/turbine fight was as a paying passenger. ****!

6 yrs later I purchased my 1st A/C.
A piper J3 65 hp cub!
Imagine me coming home and saying to my wife--guess what I bought today?
We are in our 53 yr of marriage. (I picked well)
(Have owned a few A/C over the years.) like a boat or camper, you always wand bigger and or faster.(planes do cost more however)