Any Pilots Among Members?

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #71  
I would bet it would be a pretty quick hair cut! I had to hand bomb the dehaviland beaver once! First pull, it kicked back hard and threw me right into the lake! The airplane and I had a little talk after that, and she saw it my way the second pull :)

Did your beaver not have the hand crank and flywheel start? I never saw one that did not. Makes one man no battery starts a piece of cake. I ain't brave enough to try and prop a 900 CI engine.

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #72  
I would bet it would be a pretty quick hair cut! I had to hand bomb the dehaviland beaver once! First pull, it kicked back hard and threw me right into the lake! The airplane and I had a little talk after that, and she saw it my way the second pull :)

Thought of this today, and chuckled. Because, I had to hand prop the 172 , after dear old Dad left the master switch on.

I was 1/2 mile from the lake, so it was not a factor. :D

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #73  
I got my single engine in the mid 70's , added a glider rating a couple of years later. I always tell the pilot on commercial planes that if they lose all their engines, "I have a glider rating and can help them out" :laughing: :laughing:

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #74  
Took lessons back in the late 70's/early80's; Soloed, but @ 35 hrs my motor vehicle developed an expensive problem and i had to drop the lessons for a while. By the time I had some money again, I would have had to start over. If you can't afford to fly all the time, you can't afford to fly. I couldn't.

If I were to come into some money, I might try it again.

150's/152's with instructor, $35.00/hr. at the time. Those days are long gone...

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #75  
While on the subject of aircraft, what are you guys with aircraft doing about ADS-B?

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #76  
While on the subject of aircraft, what are you guys with aircraft doing about ADS-B?

To your first thoughts, I agree, it's expensive to own or fly private aircraft. There are myriad reasons for this, but perhaps foremost is the FAA's stagnant and self-serving regulatory bureaucracy (like much of government, I think), and our hopelessly constipated civil tort system. Add to that the hand built, low volume nature of most aircraft production and the effort and expense of obtaining a pilot's license and . . . well, you get the point.

As to ADS-B, (basically a system for automatically reporting aircraft position for both aircraft controllers and other aircraft to see and help avoid collisions - as well as provide pilots with weather info and more), I'm doing the wait and see thing. Firstly, there's the hint that the FAA will relax some of the expensive to comply with regulatory garbage that makes switching avionics so expensive (putting in a "glass panel" can easily broach $50K). With any significant easing, costs would come way down. (Note that in the experimental and light sport segments, avionics cost far less than for certified aircraft - - and it's a **** sight more capable and feature laden too!)

For some aircraft, my self-launch glider as example, there's no equipment that I can buy that is a) approved b) will function for long on my limited battery capacity, and c) will physically fit in the very small amount of panel and avionics space available. The FAA hasn't seen fit to approve portable devices that will do the job, even though I understand there are some available. (e.g. you need a full-on WAAS enabled, certified GPS to provide position info to the Mode S transponder for ADS-B Out).

When the deadline hits in 2020, it's going to be bedlam, as I think most small aircraft owners are holding back. Even though the FAA has stated they will not extend the deadline no matter what. We'll see I guess.

Back to tractors. Maybe not as much fun, but certainly cheaper! I couldn't do a decent panel upgrade on my Mooney for what my B3350 and a few attachments cost! A new Mooney aircraft - - $650K to $700K.* Numbs the few active brain cells I have left.

*Oh, and now owned by the Chinese. Maybe by the time we decide, as a country, we should ought to rebuild our dwindling manufacturing base, we'll discover we don't even own one anymore.

bumper

Last edited:
   / Any Pilots Among Members? #77  
I've mashed a few bugs in my day.... Variety of old Cesna models...
Got to have a little time in a Super Cub on floats...

Like said... Long time ago, far away....
Enjoyed every minute of it..

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #78  
Another (non-flying) pilot here. Did the normal C-172/C-152 training and then got my tailwheel endorsement after I got my ticket. I used to fly out of a family owned (now on the 4th generation) grass strip in SW Ohio. They have a Cub and a Champ that they rent. Great experience!! They have a Stearman that they rent too, but I've never been in it.

Haven't flown in almost 7 years. Avgas prices were going up and my revenues from my business were going down. The last time I flew was in Key West, FL. back in '07. The significant other and I rented a 172 and an instructor and flew out over the keys for about 1.5 hours. That was pretty cool seeing sunken boats, snorklers, etc.

Several years ago I was in California when one of my nieces got married. While all the ladies (including my bridesmaid daughters) were taking care of things the day before the wedding, I rented a Citabria and an instructor and flew from Livermore, out over SF Bay, over the Golden Gate, up the coast for an hour or so and then inland to Sonoma and Napa. Landed in Sonoma at a little airport that I'd read about that had a lot of classic planes based there just to look around and refuel. Then, back in the plane and back up to Livermore. They whole trip was about 4.5 hours. That was another great trip.

I started thinking about flying when I had a project in some little town in Illinois back in '97 or so. There was no good way to get there - either drive 7 hours, or fly to Chicago, rent a car and then drive 3 hours (so the whole trip was 7 hours anyway). I found out there was a little GA airport in the town and I'd see "those little planes" flying around over the corn country. Figured out that I could fly there in about 3 hours if I had a license. Started taking lessons (which REALLY p!ssed off the now-ex-wife!) and finally got my ticket in '01. Never flew to that client site, but did fly to several others. I actually had one client that was an airport at an old AF base and would land my rented C-150 on their 12,000' runways. I learned to land long because the first taxi way exit wasn't until 5000' or so.

My first date with my sig-other was to take her up in the Cub. Chicks dig pilots! :)

Like you other non-flying guys, I still look up everytime something flies over my house. "One of these days" I hope to get back in the cockpit. I do miss it although the sig-other really doesn't want to fly any more.

Sorry for the long post! Start talking/typing about flying and I start rambling!!

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #79  
That's a great story.

So nice to hear that I'm not the only one who needs the fix of flight. Unfortunately, I bought a '56 PA-22 without a proper pre-buy, so I've been in limbo for a couple of years. Have made a lot of repairs/upgrades already, but still needing (yet) more fixes to my bird, apparently.

When (and if; can I afford it?) I get that thing fixed --to the satisfaction of others-- I hope to begin AGAIN to take lessons and get my PPL. I still drool over the stories and adventures of tractor drivers/pilots-- please keep them coming! (In the meantime, I "fly" my motorcycles and imagine.)

Oh, those childhood dreams! :rolleyes:

/ Any Pilots Among Members? #80  
That's a great story.

So nice to hear that I'm not the only one who needs the fix of flight. Unfortunately, I bought a '56 PA-22 without a proper pre-buy, so I've been in limbo for a couple of years. Have made a lot of repairs/upgrades already, but still needing (yet) more fixes to my bird, apparently.

When (and if; can I afford it?) I get that thing fixed --to the satisfaction of others-- I hope to begin AGAIN to take lessons and get my PPL. I still drool over the stories and adventures of tractor drivers/pilots-- please keep them coming! (In the meantime, I "fly" my motorcycles and imagine.)

Oh, those childhood dreams! :rolleyes:

A "short-winger" !