Any experts on automatic, central greasing systems?

/ Any experts on automatic, central greasing systems? #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35ā€™ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Have a central grease system on baler.
Due to operator error, it was run out of grease. šŸ˜–
I refilled with grease and began cracking lines all the way up to the main splitter, which has about 40 lines coming off it going to different parts of the baler.

I cracked the fitting at the bottom of the greaser and grease came out. Good.

Then removed the main line from the entrance into the splitter. It produced grease. OK good.

I cracked a few lines, beyond the splitter, at their ends: one at a knotter, one at a plunger bearing and one at a pickup wheel. They all produced grease. Good.

There is a sensor on the main splitter. It blinks during ā€œnormalā€ operation. It IS blinking. Good. The cab monitor warning for ā€œgreasing errorā€ is OFF. Thats good.

But there are many, many other lines from the splitter. I am told if they have an air bubble, they will not pass the bubble. The result is the grease is blocked and the bearing will fail. I do not know how far or even if, any air bubbles made it past the splitter.

Does anyone know for sure if the air entrapped will/will not pass in lines past the splitter?

/ Any experts on automatic, central greasing systems? #2  
Grease is generally viscous enough that it will push air out of lines. But it depends on the grease flowing.

Most of the automated central point systems just pump out a small amount continuously, and under that scenario, it could take a while to clear all of the lines. Can you disconnect the lines at the central hub, and pump them with a grease gun to clear the air from the lines?

/ Any experts on automatic, central greasing systems?
Grease is generally viscous enough that it will push air out of lines. But it depends on the grease flowing.

Most of the automated central point systems just pump out a small amount continuously, and under that scenario, it could take a while to clear all of the lines. Can you disconnect the lines at the central hub, and pump them with a grease gun to clear the air from the lines?
Thanks for your insight. The disconnected lines would not be possible to connect to a grease gun or any other grease pumping device. They are just plastic tubes.

Really the only option I have is to run the tractor and run the greasing system in manual mode for a very long time to pump grease for a quite a while, which I think would accomplish what you are suggesting.
I was going to do this next, but didnt know if it would pass air bubbles in random spots in grease lines?

/ Any experts on automatic, central greasing systems? #4  
If I understand your system one main supply line feeds a (splitter) block with multiple small grease lines from that block feeding bearings with varying lengths of line between block and bearings. Based on this I would have concerns about air for follow reasons.

1) How big of air pocket is in the line(s)? Is it big enough to compress in volume without pushing the grease through?
2) If common inlet then in theory all the lines see the same potential pressure and volume. If a couple of the grease points take very little pressure to absorb grease this would also reduce potential for pushing air out of lines with greater resistance.
3) Are you sure all the points were getting grease before the reservoir went dry? Reason for asking is that 40 + years ago I worked for a company building packaging equipment we had to handfill every line before connecting them to the central distribution system otherwise some bearings never got grease and others would be over filled.

A possible option to hand pump grease is if you can buy or a simple adapter to go between your grease gun and the plastic tube. This would be a slow process since would gave to pump each line individually. This is how we filled the lines on packaging equipment when new 40+ years ago. Again this was on new machine that had never had grease in it.

Last edited:
   / Any experts on automatic, central greasing systems? #5  
They should be injectors rather than splitters on a central grease system. Precisely to avoid all the grease being sent to the least restrictive point and nothing else getting greased.

Whenever we changed grease stuff we always had to purge every single line. That was more because it was on mining equipment that worked in pretty atrocious conditions 24/7 though, and we had them off for days or weeks.

Removing a grease line for a couple of hours was fine. I assume there were bubbles in there that got pushed through and out. Who told you that a grease system won't push air? That doesn't seem correct to me.

James

I just acquired the baler this year, so Iā€™m not 100% sure everything is being greased.
Now Iā€™m more unsure.

They should be injectors rather than splitters on a central grease system. Precisely to avoid all the grease being sent to the least restrictive point and nothing else getting greased.

Whenever we changed grease stuff we always had to purge every single line. That was more because it was on mining equipment that worked in pretty atrocious conditions 24/7 though, and we had them off for days or weeks.

Removing a grease line for a couple of hours was fine. I assume there were bubbles in there that got pushed through and out. Who told you that a grease system won't push air? That doesn't seem correct to me.

James
I agree with you. It doesnā€™t make sense to me, either. I would think the air would come out, but I was told my ā€œmechanicsā€ in the know, that it wonā€™t purge out air bubbles.

/ Any experts on automatic, central greasing systems? #8  
Hay dude
Unfortunate reality is that depending on system design, air pocket size - location your system may or may not push out an air pocket. Only way to be certain is check all the lines you can access at grease point. A real pain in the arse but only way I would feel confident that it is working especially on a high dollar machine like your balers. I would especially check the high load critical items.

My 2 cents on thisā€¦

/ Any experts on automatic, central greasing systems? #9  
I worked in a steel mill for some years. I started out in a crew that moved all over. Occasionally I was assigned to the auto grease system in one of the operations. For hours we just hooked up grease lines that had been disconnected. We hooked them up and came back 1/2 hour later to see if they were working. They always worked. Bearings had grease oozing. Most dang boring chore that I was ever assigned. Hated it.

I worked in a steel mill for some years. I started out in a crew that moved all over. Occasionally I was assigned to the auto grease system in one of the operations. For hours we just hooked up grease lines that had been disconnected. We hooked them up and came back 1/2 hour later to see if they were working. They always worked. Bearings had grease oozing. Most dang boring chore that I was ever assigned. Hated it.

I can sympathize.ā€¦
I ended up doing the same. Engine has to run minimum 600 rpm to make greaser run. I started tractor and ran in ā€œmanual greasing modeā€ for an hour. I cracked about 10 fittings, mostly the ones that lube high dollar bearings (like plunger bearings) and they did ooze grease. Comes out very slowly. Really illustrates how many of us probably over grease our machines.

We baled again with it on Sunday, Monday & Tuesday with no issues (I hope)
Ridiculous how the monitor tells you you are ā€œout of greaseā€ instead of ā€œlow on greaseā€.