Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice?

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #121  
Perhaps the Roman's built roads that would last for 2000 years is because they expected to be in power that long?
Rome had always been; it was inconceivable (for a while at least) that it wouldn't always be.

There was a pretender during a (very impactful yet brief) period of the 20th century that claimed it would last a thousand years, but other than a couple strange art installations and some nuclear waste disposal vaults, I don't know of anything anyone has built with a proclamation that it would last 2000 years.

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #122  
Tractor shed site finished. 4" of crusher run was rolled. It feels very firm. Area at front of site has 57's that were rolled. Also very firm. I think it will hold up well.

Attachments

• Barn site prep 4 12 2023 3.jpeg
    Barn site prep 4 12 2023 3.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Barn site prep 4 12 2023 2.jpeg
    Barn site prep 4 12 2023 2.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Barn site prep 4 12 2023 1.jpeg
    Barn site prep 4 12 2023 1.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 87
   / Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #123  
Tractor shed site finished. 4" of crusher run was rolled. It feels very firm. Area at front of site has 57's that were rolled. Also very firm. I think it will hold up well.
Refresh my memory, what type of building are you getting?

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #124  
Refresh my memory, what type of building are you getting?
Tractor shed, 48' wide, 35' deep. Center section is 24' wide and 12' tall, with 12' lean to's on either side. Lean to's are 9' tall. Outside and back of lean to's are enclosed. All other sides are open. Will be used for 4 tractors, attachments, ATV, riding lawn mower, etc. Ordered it today. Lead time is 4 - 6 weeks.

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #125  
Tractor shed, 48' wide, 35' deep. Center section is 24' wide and 12' tall, with 12' lean to's on either side. Lean to's are 9' tall. Outside and back of lean to's are enclosed. All other sides are open. Will be used for 4 tractors, attachments, ATV, riding lawn mower, etc. Ordered it today. Lead time is 4 - 6 weeks.
Pole barn?

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #127  
Probably too late, but I would say, you can add height pretty cheaply, and that might be nice to have a 14 ft center aisle. 12 ft isn't bad though.

My shed is 8 ft on tall end, going down to 6"8", and I cuss my cheap butt all the time on that call. Really wish I would have went 14 on tall side, 12 on short... for racking

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #128  
57 is what we tailgated on gravel roads in Ohio.

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #129  
I am in the process of talking to a few local excavation companies in regards to a project. It's a simple project (they all have said this), but each has their own method of completing the project. I've been wanting to get this project done for a while now, and life keeps on getting in the way so I will be hiring this one out to a professional.

The project is a 30' x 30' gravel parking pad. The area where it will be installed is currently grass and soil. The area slopes approximately 1.5' right to left over the 30' area and 1' front to back over the 30' area.

My question is: is there truly a "right" way to do this?

One guy said he would strip the soil down to clay, use #1 and #2 limestone as a base, then top dress with #57 limestone

One guy said he would strip the soil down to clay, use geo-textile fabric, use #1 and #2 as a base, then top dress with #57

One guy said he would NOT strip any soil, use asphalt chunks and grindings as a base, the top dress with #57 lime stone

They all claim that their way is the "best" way.

So, I am seeking an outsider's opinion which method seems the most logical to go about this project.

Thanks
The method in bold is what I would do. I would use 3-4” base, roll then my top stone rolled tight, but would also want to see drainage situation. If you can handle the pad being sloped, it will be less likely to puddle or have water freeze/thaw

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #130  
Virginia standards are #57, #68, #1, and 21-A for crush and run. Locally we have one quarry that mines red colored stone, so the various retailers and delivery services will either stock both colors or ask which quarry you want the stone to come from. Generally the red sells for a slight premium.

I agree with all of the comments about stone not locking and staying where you put it. But, when I help the neighbors add stone to their driveways many will not use the crush and run because the fines will track into the house when it is wet. Happy wife, happy life!