Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice?

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #151  
I will throw this out; in general, avoid Northern contractors down for the winter. Mostly con-men, and over priced, under deliver, and sell people on some odd notions; that may be appropriate where they come from, but they don't know local soils.
Is this a big problem in Ohio, where the OP lives?

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #153  
We don't need no skeevy contractors from up nawth, we grow our own right here.

Article in local media today about a "pool contractor" who got busted in Tampa area, the only thing he was excavating was customer's wallets. Got out of the slammer, decided to become a GC, moved to the east end of I-4, just got busted again for the same thing in Sanford/Daytona areas.

Check references, licenses and *proof of insurance* before you hire ANY contractor. I prefer locals, they have a reputation, and it isn't too hard to determine if that reputation is good or bad before you hire them. Locals also know the local conditions, who the good (and bad) suppliers and subs are, and they know that if there is a problem, you know how to contact them, so (in most cases at least) they'll try to do a good job - it is just easier that way.

Saw another scam where a GC had and supplied "proof of insurance" except he had altered the date on an expired policy to show that it was good, that he had insurance and in fact boasted about it! Skeptical customer (not me) called the insurance company to double check . . . busted.

Construction accidents are not rare and the injured worker's lawyer will go for the deep pockets. If the contractor doesn't have insurance, YOU are the deep pockets. Ugh.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #154  

Article in local media today about a "pool contractor" who got busted in Tampa area, the only thing he was excavating was customer's wallets. Got out of the slammer, decided to become a GC, moved to the east end of I-4, just got busted again for the same thing in Sanford/Daytona areas.

Check references, licenses and *proof of insurance* before you hire ANY contractor. I prefer locals, they have a reputation, and it isn't too hard to determine if that reputation is good or bad before you hire them. Locals also know the local conditions, who the good (and bad) suppliers and subs are, and they know that if there is a problem, you know how to contact them, so (in most cases at least) they'll try to do a good job - it is just easier that way.

Saw another scam where a GC had and supplied "proof of insurance" except he had altered the date on an expired policy to show that it was good, that he had insurance and in fact boasted about it! Skeptical customer (not me) called the insurance company to double check . . . busted.

Construction accidents are not rare and the injured worker's lawyer will go for the deep pockets. If the contractor doesn't have insurance, YOU are the deep pockets. Ugh.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

The Travellers

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #155  
I am in the process of talking to a few local excavation companies in regards to a project. It's a simple project (they all have said this), but each has their own method of completing the project. I've been wanting to get this project done for a while now, and life keeps on getting in the way so I will be hiring this one out to a professional.

The project is a 30' x 30' gravel parking pad. The area where it will be installed is currently grass and soil. The area slopes approximately 1.5' right to left over the 30' area and 1' front to back over the 30' area.

My question is: is there truly a "right" way to do this?

One guy said he would strip the soil down to clay, use #1 and #2 limestone as a base, then top dress with #57 limestone

One guy said he would strip the soil down to clay, use geo-textile fabric, use #1 and #2 as a base, then top dress with #57

One guy said he would NOT strip any soil, use asphalt chunks and grindings as a base, the top dress with #57 lime stone

They all claim that their way is the "best" way.

So, I am seeking an outsider's opinion which method seems the most logical to go about this project.

Thanks

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #156  

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
I’ve been building roads and parking lots for 30 years and my advice is to go with #2 . You didn’t say how heavy the vehicles are that you plan to park on it but it’s always best to start with a good foundation in case you enlarge it later or decide to use it for heavier parking. Strip the vegetation and place the fabric and make sure they OVERLAP the fabric to manufacture spec ( we usually try to go at least a foot on the overlap ) and it’s best to back spread to rock with the trucks never touching the the fabric although it isn’t always necessary. If the ground has any yield it will cause the fabric to pull and wrinkle especially if the trucks get on it without any stone for protection. I used some left over fabric from a job and spread it out inside an open sided shed and covered it with 6 inches of #8 washed stone just because I didn’t want the dust of #53 stone in the shed and the 8’s actually locked down nicely with the fabric under it . A good coarse base with fine stone on top will work good for you with or without the fabric but that fabric is definitely worth the cost for long term use . Just make sure the fabric is heavy enough . 6 to 8 once would be best . Contact a local drainage supplier to see what they would recommend. It’s not cheap but we’ll worth it in the long run . cfg-construction-fabrics-grids.com is a local supplier in Indianapolis that we use . Check the them out for advice on the weight of fabric they recommend.

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #157  
I’m not trying to highjack the OP’s topic, but this relates with regards to site prep.
How would this work if your site does have underground springs? You obviously can’t dig out the topsoil without having the holes fill in with water and you’re not going to dig down to anything except clay and more water. Would you have to use a different method?
As @MGP4506 said, you need to provide a way for water to flow downhill if you are digging out an area.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
Insurance policy verification should be emailed/faxed directly from their agent naming you as an additional insured, anything less may not protect you and with you listed as an additional insured YOU can file a claim DIRECTLY with their insurance company if they cause damage and then leave.

Aaron Z

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #158  
Well; if we want to dig into Contracting more; you should make sure they pay their material supplies and sub contractors, so they don't file mechanics liens on your property. It is the responsibility of the owner to ensure everyone gets paid.

Now; we are talking about a small parking pad; and I Highly doubt anyone is going to jump through the hops of filling a NOI or getting an "additionally insured" clause.

Last edited:
   / Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice? #159  
Well; if we want to dig into Contracting more; you should make sure they pay their material supplies and sub contractors, so they don't file mechanics liens on your property. It is the responsibility of the owner to ensure everyone gets paid.

Now; we are talking about a small parking pad; and I Highly doubt anyone is going to jump through the hops of filling a NOI or getting an "additionally insured" clause.
We get them at work, takes them 30 seconds to forward the email to their agent and then the agent sends us a COI.

Aaron Z

/ Any Excavation Professionals Feel Like Giving Advice?
OP here - thanks to all that commented. This thread helped me learn some good information about gravel driveways/road building.

The project was recently completed and here is the result:

gravel final.jpg

Organic material was stripped
Geo fabric was installed
Base of #1 and #2 limestone was created
Layer of #304 limestone was laid out
Compacted
Layer of #57 limestone was laid out
Compacted

Some fine tuning of the landscape needs to be done around the gravel pad. The weather was cold and rainy while the work was being done, so getting the excavated dirt spread out around the pad was a challenge.

Overall, it turned out the way I anticipated and will serve its purpose.

Thanks again for your input.