Any CPAP users?

/ Any CPAP users? #1  

westbrooklawn

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3400HST
I just completed a sleep study and CPAP titration study, and I expect my Dr. to be in touch with me in the next few days to recommend that I go on a CPAP machine. I really dread it, since I don't like the idea of being constricted, and the CPAP was not too comfortable during the test. Just wondering how many on this forum might already be on a CPAP, and looking for any recommendations. Thanks!

/ Any CPAP users? #2  
I just completed a sleep study and CPAP titration study, and I expect my Dr. to be in touch with me in the next few days to recommend that I go on a CPAP machine. I really dread it, since I don't like the idea of being constricted, and the CPAP was not too comfortable during the test. Just wondering how many on this forum might already be on a CPAP, and looking for any recommendations. Thanks!

You get used to it. You too can be a Borg.. resistance is futile.:)

/ Any CPAP users? #3  
You get used to it. You too can be a Borg.. resistance is futile.:)

:D Yep, I have been using one every night for about 8 years myself. It wasn't easy at first. I hated it. In fact I wanted to bury it in the back yard (but it cost too much). The best advise that I can give you is to try to make friends with it. You and it can become one in time if you try. One of the main things with the CPAP if finding the right mask for you. For example, I started out with a large full face and wound up with a medium nasal mask. I would have thought the full face would have been the ticket. The CPAP has certainly helped me to rest at night and feel better during the day. I certainly wish you the best with it.

/ Any CPAP users? #4  
All CPAP users have a love-hate relationship with their equipment. Been using it for 10 years now. Had lots of trouble finding the right mask. Went through the nasal plug types, the old inflexible kind, the full-face, etc. Settled on the Res-Med one that kinda inflates against your face. Much better for me. No leaks and it sits lightly on your skin. It is important to find the mask that works best for you, and to learn to adjust it properly. It's also important to replace at least the soft part of the mask when the manufacturer says, usually every three to four months. It gets warped in its shape, even if you don't notice any visible change, and it will not fit as well.

But if your CPAP works, you'll begin to sleep a lot better, and wake up a lot more refreshed. If you have sleep apnea and do nothing about it, it will not only keep you tired all the time, it will literally knock years off your life. Good luck.

/ Any CPAP users? #5  
I just went through my second sleep study Sunday night which is for the mask fit. My next visit I will be getting the machine I think. The one I chose was the medium nasal mask so hopefully I can get used to it. Dont have any recomendations yet as I am a newby myself.

/ Any CPAP users? #6  
Once you acclimate to using one, you don't want to be without it. It makes a major difference in quality of sleep.

A nasal mask is what I prefer, but if you tend to let your mouth open during sleep you may need to go with the full face (unless you are OK with a chin strap).

See if any of the available models offered to you can run from a 12 volt source without an inverter. If so, a fully charged deep cycle/trolling motor battery can make for a good backup (i.e. multiple nights worth) if you get an extended power outage or are away from 120v.

Nick

/ Any CPAP users? #8  
Hi Folks
I have been using a CPAP for 13 years, on my 3rd machine, at beginning my experience was as described in earlier threads, very difficult to get used to. However as an equipment operator I had to persevere after 1 year things were much better. Now I cannot do without it, if I must sleep one night without it I am very tired next day, more than one night and I cannot stay awake.
The mask is the most important variable, I have tried many, now I use a full face which covers my nose and mouth, it is the inflatible seal type, Resmed Quattro is the name of it.
The CPAP is now an important part of my life, I use it faithfully every night for 7-8 hours, I am very used to it and cannot sleep comfortably without it. My wife who works in respiratory therapy is of course very supportive of me using it and has not abandoned me once in bed because of it, this I count as a real blessing.
I hope to add a few years to my life because of this machine and strongly recommend if one is prescribed to work with it until a comfort zone is found for you. Mine operates with a humidifer and the pressure settings start at 13 cm/h2o and ramp to 17 cm/h2o.
Troy

/ Any CPAP users? #9  
Resmed Mirage Quattro for me.. I tried the nasal ones years ago, did not work for me. Besides they seemed to hurt. I called them "nose knives". The point is find what works for you, and is effective and comfortable so that you use it every nite. Here is another little goody, apparently if you have untreated sleep apnea you are liable to have heart problems also..To tell you that joining the "Borg Collective" is fun would be a lie. BUT the benefits of being a "hose head" outweigh the alternative of untreated sleep apnea. Besides it is just for 8 hours while you are sleeping, the rest of the time, you are a "normal" person.:) Good luck with it.

James K0UA

/ Any CPAP users? #10  
Been on one for almost 3 years now. The nose mask works well for me and wasn't too hard to adjust to.

I want to check out the dental device they claim works. It would be good for camping when power isn't available IF it works. Otherwise, the great outdoors isn't too peaceful with this bear growling...