/ Another winter warning for MossRoad... #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Be careful out there!!!!

1669679682866.png

/ Another winter warning for MossRoad... #2  
Scary stuff. That could have gone bad, glad everyone is ok.

/ Another winter warning for MossRoad...
I remember it happening years ago when two kids were spring fishing and a piece of ice broke away. If I recall correctly one made it back to shore, the other didn't.

/ Another winter warning for MossRoad... #4  
No chance of that here... I was raking the yard yesterday while wearing just a t-shirt. (no pants? :ROFLMAO: )

But thanks for the words of caution.

I like my ice fishing but I'm not keen to risk my life for a fish dinner. However, something like that where a large section of ice can break away from shore and float off is pretty common on large lakes exposed to wind. Eventually, the ice will move to one shore or another. I doubt anyone was in real danger yet on that one.

First time I saw something like that I was at a Boy Scout winter camp in the mid 70's. There was about 40' of open water from shore. Old guys (everyone was old to me) were taking boats from shore, rowing out to the ice, then getting onto the ice to go fishing farther out in the lake. Strangest thing to see. Dozens of boats.

/ Another winter warning for MossRoad... #5  
I do have two doofus cousins that went out on an ice flow in the Ohio River down west of Cincinnati and it broke away. They went floating down the river. Had to be rescued by some law enforcement agency. They were in their early teens at the time. Moving water is a whole nuther rascal. I won't ice fish on a river or creek. Backwater bays where there's no current is OK.

/ Another winter warning for MossRoad... #6  
Every winter chucks of ice break off of some lake supieor shore and ice fisherman are on it. These piecs are sometimes large, like miles in size.

/ Another winter warning for MossRoad... #7  
Every winter chucks of ice break off of some lake supieor shore and ice fisherman are on it. These piecs are sometimes large, like miles in size.
Erie, Huron and St. Clair are famous for it. I think Green Bay as well.

/ Another winter warning for MossRoad... #8  
Same situation - different story. We spent a year in Glennallen, AK. Doofy's arena. Ice fishing in February. Had a four foot hand crank ice auger. DISAPPOINTMENT - the four foot auger would not reach all the way thru the ice. Then - many times - you end up with a "overflow" situation. Weight of the ice has pressurized the lake water and you have a never ending flowing spring or geyser.

/ Another winter warning for MossRoad... #9  
Same situation - different story. We spent a year in Glennallen, AK. Doofy's arena. Ice fishing in February. Had a four foot hand crank ice auger. DISAPPOINTMENT - the four foot auger would not reach all the way thru the ice. Then - many times - you end up with a "overflow" situation. Weight of the ice has pressurized the lake water and you have a never ending flowing spring or geyser.
I've seen videos of that. Crazy. The most I've ever seen is about 22" of ice. Here, on warm days, we get the drain effect. You drill a hole and any melt water on top of the ice starts draining into your hole, bringing all the dust, dirt, and debris into a swirling current, like a toilet bowl.

/ Another winter warning for MossRoad... #10  
If the ice wasn't in neutral buoyance, I always got off it immediately. But I'm a scaredy cat. 😨