Another Rooting Bucket!

/ Another Rooting Bucket!
This should be the correct direct side-on shot showing the 75 degree angle between the bucket bottom and back.

Attachments

• 53-221667-7.jpg
    53-221667-7.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 286
   / Another Rooting Bucket! #12  
You are describing the exact techinque that I used with my forks to attack stumps. Here is some text of my previous post:

Now attack ONE root at a time. Bring your tractor in to the side of the stump and put one fork underneath one root about 2 feet out on the root. Have the fork at about a 45-degree angle and poke the fork down most of the way. Slowly drive forward as you are simultaneously curling the forks down. You may need to do this a couple of times on each root, each time repositioning the fork at a slightly different angle. Go all the way around the stump until you get all the roots you can see.

Here is the post that this text came from:
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=projects&Number=120670&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Unbelievable?</A>

Nice job Greg!

DADBURN! Gotta find a set of forks! I remember reading this now but it went over my head at the time because we don't have forks and I didn't visualise the leveraging. I can now easily see how you were able to do it. I am guessing that your forks ability to penetrate many inches past the root give's a rather significant mechanical advantage. Did you ever need to take one fork off and go after it one toothed or was two forks no problem?

Greg

/ Another Rooting Bucket! #14  
Two forks seemed to be fine, I did put them quite close together at times but never took one off.

/ Another Rooting Bucket! #16  
Looks like your bucket may come in handy removing rocks also.

The soil we were in was fairly decent, no significant rocks. My guess is it ranged from loam to clay loam. Digging the deep varmit hole was in river bottom type dirt, really nice. The stump was in tougher conditions but not this rocky clay I,m used to here in the NC Piedmont. There are some rocks we needed to deal with but didn't get the chance yet.

Greg

/ Another Rooting Bucket! #18  
That's a great example of good ole country engineering & execution./w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif Good luck with it, and am looking foward to seeing more pix /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif ...Raybee

/ Another Rooting Bucket! #19  
Gfranklin, did you use Kasco's design when you built your bucket or is it just a coincidence? I looked into buying one of their's but they list at just over a grand. I have attached a tiny photo of their model.

Attachments

• 53-221761-Kasco_Rooter.bmp
    17 KB · Views: 320
Spence,

I did in fact look at Kasco's little picture and also at Randy's efforts. Mine was a direct attempt at immitating both of theirs (Thanks, Guys!). I thought about sidewall flexing so added a double lip. I liked the idea of gussets at the top and the hook was an afterthought. I haven't ruled out taking the torch to this one and shortening it in order to give me more breakout force if I think it will help. With my very limited experience so far, I wonder what this bucket would do if it was say 24" overall length. At least with stumps it would still probably get deep enough but you probably really lose the prying leverage that made your forks work so good for you. If I shorten it though, the breakout force will increase by the same ratio that you shorten it by but with the loss of leverage from the shorter overall length, it may not result in a net improvement in overall time spent root bustin'. I do look forward to exploring it's capabilities in spot digging based on how easy it made a deep hole in good soil. My problem now is it is not with me so it will be slow in getting performance updates but I will post them, with pics.

I did wonder what this bucket would cost from them though.

Greg